wall mounting studio monitors

I'm in the middle of a house move which means changing the layout of my home studio to suit the new room. I've got a pair of Mackie monitors (can't remember the exact model until I move them) but they are full size not tiny things.

They currently sit on foam pads on my audio desk, which was never ideals, in the new room I'm considering getting wall mounts to hold the speakers and either angle them down and in a little so it points at my head in the middle of the desk while sat down, or eye level so I can stand and take a step back to listen.

the point is, I've never wall mounted monitors before (used to have wall mounted hifi speakers in my teens)

is it possible to mount the monitors on wall stands and still get the 'flat' sound from them, how can I do it (eg: I use the foam pads on my desk - but won't work on wall stands)

is it even worth considering wall mounting the monitors ? 

educate me please.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Generally for a flat response you don't want them near a wall as it affects the bass response. Some smaller Hi Fi speakers are designed to take advantage of this but it's not ideal for studio monitors.  For low level listening and convenience it's ok though 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    I can move them away from the wall, the mounting point would just be on the wall, and the monitors have a switch on the back that you map to how far they are from a wall / corner to help counter/balance the sound.

The point is well made though, the plan is not to have them flush against the wall, just on a mounting bracket/arm that is on the wall