Strings for fretless?

What's Hot
JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
Recently got my hands on a rather lovely Bass Collection Nanyo 5 string fretless, It needs a string swap, so what are your flavour of the moment string suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Labella flats are always my choice, Ti flats are okay but expensive and I found the low tension a bit too slack for my style of playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14413
    I chew through my fingerboards with roundwound strings. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am a huge fan of these ROTOSOUND RS88LD Tru Bass Black Nylon Flatwound Bass Guitar Strings
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    I've always used roundwounds for all my basses (and guitars), but it's interesting that so many players seem to favour flats on fretlesses. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    JCA2550 said:
    I've always used roundwounds for all my basses (and guitars), but it's interesting that so many players seem to favour flats on fretlesses. 
    I hate the feel of roundwounds on a fretless, and they knacker the fingerboard.

I've currently got Rotosounds on mine because that's what was on it when it came. Given how long they last they'll probably be on it in 10 years... they seem fine so I'm not fussed about changing them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    JCA2550 said:
    I hate the feel of roundwounds on a fretless, and they knacker the fingerboard.

I've currently got Rotosounds on mine because that's what was on it when it came. Given how long they last they'll probably be on it in 10 years... they seem fine so I'm not fussed about changing them.
    Is that a maple fingerboard?

I like the tone of roundwounds but not the finger squeaks. Maybe it's time to give flats a go?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    toys19 said:
    I am a huge fan of these ROTOSOUND RS88LD Tru Bass Black Nylon Flatwound Bass Guitar Strings
    They're nice strings but if you have noisy pickups or earth noise, touching the strings no longer earths the bass, often not an issue but when it is...

I always go with LaBella; tension and the slinky feel is unsurpassed.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    JCA2550 said:

Is that a maple fingerboard?

I like the tone of roundwounds but not the finger squeaks. Maybe it's time to give flats a go?
    Rosewood. A lacquered maple one would chew through in about five minutes.

I wouldn't use roundwounds on anything other than ebony or phenolic, and even then it will still wear worse than with flats.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    I use Rotosound 77 Monel Flatwound on my @WezV fretless.  It has an ebony fingerboard.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I have D'Addario Chromes, flats, and they sound very good. Full, but crisp too, so you can get plenty of attack if you want. 
    Rounds do mark the board too, no getting away from that really, and I do like the sound on a fretless. The chromes are the nearest I have heard to rounds in terms of the attach though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    As an update, I've ordered a set of these from Newtone:

Platinum 5 string bass = £35.70
    - Material: Nickel Plated Steel
    - Core: Round Cores
    - Gauge: .042-.120

I'm a big fan of Newtone Strings in general and also used to like DRs so I'll let you know how I get on with them when they turn up?