Recording with a Stingray (before I sell it)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 23665
    Snap said:
    @Bridgehouse I got my daughter a mexican P, couple of years ago, and have to say it's a cracker. Playing that is what tipped me over into full on wanting one. I've decided to go the self build route because I will get exactly what I want, and I enjoy the build process too. 

    Will be a sort of Roger Waters signature style in appearance. 
    Solid plan that! I’ve got two home builds and they are cracking!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've found that recording any bass with a decent powerful active preamp can be "challenging"
    I think it's because the bass EQ knob is usually capable of putting out way too much broad low end boost.  And the treble you might dial in to hear yourself in a live setting can bring out a lot of unwanted clack and finger noise in a recording.

    I've got a Dingwall NG (It's my second one actually, I traded my 4 for a 5) and it has the sought after Darkglass Tone Capsule preamp.  It's probably the only low EQ band I've found useful (it's punchy as opposed to subby) and even then I prefer just recording the bass passively 99% of the time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Snap said:
    Bridgehouse I got my daughter a mexican P, couple of years ago, and have to say it's a cracker. Playing that is what tipped me over into full on wanting one. I've decided to go the self build route because I will get exactly what I want, and I enjoy the build process too. 

    Will be a sort of Roger Waters signature style in appearance. 

    Nice

    I've been really impressed with the most recent Mexican basses.  P bass is such a great tone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 23665
    @Snap - this is a home built P and it get the most use of all my fretted basses...


    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 8863
    Dig that invisible pickup.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 23665
    Dig that invisible pickup.
    Nah. That shot was mid-swap out for an Oil City special 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257 said:
    Gail Anne Dorsey turns the bass on full and everything else "off", or turned all the way back. I tend to do the same and then will dial in the miss and treble as and when I feel it's necessary. 
    On a 3-band? Jesus. That's an enormous amount of bass! I find a dimed bass knob overpowering on mine even with the mids and treble flat! If it's good enough for Gail though, I'm not gonna argue....
    From about 1:25 in:

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lbbs4A9AKPc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 321
    mike257 said:
    Gail Anne Dorsey turns the bass on full and everything else "off", or turned all the way back. I tend to do the same and then will dial in the miss and treble as and when I feel it's necessary. 
    On a 3-band? Jesus. That's an enormous amount of bass! I find a dimed bass knob overpowering on mine even with the mids and treble flat! If it's good enough for Gail though, I'm not gonna argue....
    From about 1:25 in:

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lbbs4A9AKPc
    Ace, thanks - I think it probably sits well with her technique too, she's talking about how she plays with a very light touch. I play with all the delicacy of a ham-fisted gorilla most of the time, so +15db of 40Hz - or whatever it is on the Ray 3 band, I forget - gets a bit much for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 3947
    Depends what you mean with "clanky" - to me that would describe the sound any bass makes when the action is too low.

    I would, however, describe the proper Stingray tone as "zingy" which might not be to everyone's taste, though definitely shouldn't sound as problematic as your issue seems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    Depends what you mean with "clanky" - to me that would describe the sound any bass makes when the action is too low.

    I would, however, describe the proper Stingray tone as "zingy" which might not be to everyone's taste, though definitely shouldn't sound as problematic as your issue seems.
    The clank a stingray gives you is not related to the action.
    My band: TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    Trading feedback: https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147077/
    I like Japanties. Not the forum Road Warrior.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2211
    Agree with @WiresDreamDisasters - It's not really a fret buzz kind of sound. The Jazz I got to replace it has similar action and records perfectly. 

    From what I've read here and via some googling seems to be mostly pre-amp related. The 3 band being much less affected. Changing the pickup won't help either as a bass playing friend of mine tried that, same issue, just slightly different tone. 

    Lovely bass to play, the neck was a joy, but I don't regret moving it on and getting the Jazz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 3947
    thegummy said:
    Depends what you mean with "clanky" - to me that would describe the sound any bass makes when the action is too low.

    I would, however, describe the proper Stingray tone as "zingy" which might not be to everyone's taste, though definitely shouldn't sound as problematic as your issue seems.
    The clank a stingray gives you is not related to the action.
    That's the problem with these words that don't have actual definitions - I wouldn't describe my Stingray (or others I've heard) as having "clank" but obviously you're using it to describe a different sound than I am.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 4901
    @Snap - this is a home built P and it get the most use of all my fretted basses...


    that's very nice indeed.
    My recent Peter Hook signature bass purchase has put the P bass build on the back. burner for now. I've got a Tele to finish too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    Depends what you mean with "clanky" - to me that would describe the sound any bass makes when the action is too low.

    I would, however, describe the proper Stingray tone as "zingy" which might not be to everyone's taste, though definitely shouldn't sound as problematic as your issue seems.
    The clank a stingray gives you is not related to the action.
    That's the problem with these words that don't have actual definitions - I wouldn't describe my Stingray (or others I've heard) as having "clank" but obviously you're using it to describe a different sound than I am.
    Post a recording.
    My band: TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    Trading feedback: https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/147077/
    I like Japanties. Not the forum Road Warrior.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
Sign In or Register to comment.