Previously - I didn’t really ‘get’ later era Beatles

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 813
edited February 2021 in Music
Probably because it made me sad, because I knew they were breaking up. ‘The long and winding road’ still brings tears to my eyes...

On The White Album, Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9 seemed silly too.

but check this out:
https://youtu.be/KNE2bpE-DIE
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 813
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72240
    I’ve always loved the later Beatles ever since I was a child... but I had to turn Steven Tyler off quite quickly before he murdered even more of my favourite music :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7819
    I don’t like early pop Beatles. I don’t hate it, but it’s don’t listen to it voluntarily.  The same way I don’t listen to Brittany Spears voluntarily (though Toxic is a good pop song). 
    I love later Beatles. 

Flipping’ adore all eras of The Kinks!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    I don’t like early pop Beatles. I don’t hate it, but it’s don’t listen to it voluntarily.  The same way I don’t listen to Brittany Spears voluntarily (though Toxic is a good pop song). 
    I love later Beatles. 

Flipping’ adore all eras of The Kinks!!

^ This except early Beatles music also rocks.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    How can anyone not love this stuff.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:

I don’t like early pop Beatles. I don’t hate it, but it’s don’t listen to it voluntarily.  

My son (9) has been learning to play bass, and has become a bit of a Macca fanboy, right down to the Hofner bass. I've been helping him learn Beatles bass lines, and it's given me a new appreciation for their early stuff.

To be fair, lots of the album tracks are fairly formulaic because they had to churn out a lot of music at a fairly swift rate, but when they're good they're wonderful. Most of their singles have interesting chord progressions, or arrangements, or something else that really engages you.
    I think She Loves You is absolutely bloody brilliant- so much crammed in to two minutes.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Later period for me - Tea towels on the drums from 1968 onwards!.  Eagerly awaiting the release of "Let it Be" hopefully this year  
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    Side B of Abbey Road is a complete masterpiece.

I prefer the later stuff myself, particularly 1965+ but I love it all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Early stuff is boyband pop, later stuff is drug induced drivel  :)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    TheMarlin said:

I don’t like early pop Beatles. I don’t hate it, but it’s don’t listen to it voluntarily.  

My son (9) has been learning to play bass, and has become a bit of a Macca fanboy, right down to the Hofner bass. I've been helping him learn Beatles bass lines, and it's given me a new appreciation for their early stuff.

To be fair, lots of the album tracks are fairly formulaic because they had to churn out a lot of music at a fairly swift rate, but when they're good they're wonderful. Most of their singles have interesting chord progressions, or arrangements, or something else that really engages you.
    I think She Loves You is absolutely bloody brilliant- so much crammed in to two minutes.
    McCartney is one of my favourite bassists, the way he fills out the Beatles songs is superb, those bouncy bass lines really drive them along too. 

I’m reading a Hendrix bio at the moment. Apparently at one point Jimi and Miles Davis were jamming a lot and seriously thinking of getting a supergroup together. They invited Macca to join as they both thought he was the best bassist in the world and the only one likely to keep up with their ideas, and contribute more. He declined, the Beatles had not long broken up and he’d decided to disappear off to Scotland. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11288
    I think it was in Geoff Emerick's book that he said that Macca would often re-do his bass after the track had been recorded to find better bass lines.

My first reaction was "cheat!", my second reaction pretty soon after was "brilliant, that's how to serve the song and not the player". 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72240
    McCartney’s later Beatles bass playing is almost classical in the way it’s a completely independent part which is a melody in its own right - I suspect he learned a lot from George Martin. Very different from most other rock bass players. One of my favourite bassists, and definitely one of the reasons I play it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogieman said:

I’m reading a Hendrix bio at the moment. Apparently at one point Jimi and Miles Davis were jamming a lot and seriously thinking of getting a supergroup together. They invited Macca to join as they both thought he was the best bassist in the world and the only one likely to keep up with their ideas, and contribute more. He declined, the Beatles had not long broken up and he’d decided to disappear off to Scotland. 

Yep, there were some telegrams made public a few years back, dating from October '69. The invitation was made at fairly short notice and Paul was already on holiday in Scotland. It was a few months before the band actually split, but things were falling apart by then. Such a shame it never happened.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    Macca would play bass in my supergroup. 
    Hendrix on lead, Prince on vocals/second guitar and Keith Moon on drums.

Imagine the after-show parties!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    Hattigol said:
    Macca would play bass in my supergroup. 
    Hendrix on lead, Prince on vocals/second guitar and Keith Moon on drums.

Imagine the after-show parties!

Too many egos there..........
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.