The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• boogieman said:
    I need to give The Wire another go. I gave up after a couple of episodes because I couldn’t follow the dialogue. Maybe I should try it with subtitles. 
    I had the same problem. My sons helped me out quite a bit being, for some reason, more familiar with some aspects of Baltimore slang than I am. This is only an issue in the first series.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266
    boogieman said:
    I need to give The Wire another go. I gave up after a couple of episodes because I couldn’t follow the dialogue. Maybe I should try it with subtitles. 
    I did the same Boogie, really struggled to make out some of the dialogue but gave it another go a few years later. It totally sucked me in on the second go and turned out to be one of my favourite all time shows. I'm another one who puts it above The Sopranos and I loved that show too. Honestly, give it a chance. It's just brilliant.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266

City On a Hill with Kevin Bacon is another good one. Two seasons up to now, it's well worth a watch. Sky Atlantic, I think. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2386
    Slightly late to the party, but we've almost finished Squid Game on Netflix. Loving it so far - some interesting questions on morality in there.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392

City On a Hill with Kevin Bacon is another good one. Two seasons up to now, it's well worth a watch. Sky Atlantic, I think. 

I got part way into episode 1 and ditched it - does it get better or was that representative of how it is? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    FarleyUK said:
    Slightly late to the party, but we've almost finished Squid Game on Netflix. Loving it so far - some interesting questions on morality in there.
    Just finished it. The last episode was the weakest of the series I thought. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Currently wading through the American version of House of Cards. Starts off really when but eventually gets quite ridiculous.
    All in all I prefer the original.
  • Paris Police 1900 on bbc iPlayer. A french crime drama. I've been missing something like this since Spiral ended, so can recommend it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    I've been watching Alice in Borderland on Netflix but finding it quite dull.  Still, only three (and a half) episodes to go so I'll persevere.

In my trawl through the Netflix Marvel series I've now reached Iron Fist season 2.  The first episode didn't have the daytime-soap feel of the first series but it was still pretty tedious.  I've found these Marvel series all follow a pattern - three or four boring episodes to get going, then increasingly exciting until the penultimate episode, which is always a time-waster before the big showdown in the final episode.  Which may or may not be a letdown...
  • Paris Police 1900 on bbc iPlayer. A french crime drama. I've been missing something like this since Spiral ended, so can recommend it.
    I've started watching this series, partly so I can assess how my rather rusty knowledge of French is holding up ... not doing bad, as I'm finding I can follow quite a lot of the dialogue without referring to the subtitles.

I've been learning Italian for the last couple of years, as, up and until Covid struck, I'd been to Italy several times and felt very embarrassed at my lack of even the most basic knowledge of Italian. I like the detective series "Inspector Montalbano" (on BBC iPlayer) which is set in Sicily. Currently, I'm going through it a second time to see how much more of the language I can now understand.
    @ArchtopDave where do you find the best place to learn languages? I mean resource not that actual country!
  • ennspek said:
    @ArchtopDave where do you find the best place to learn languages? I mean resource not that actual country!
    Online I have been using Babbel (there's a relatively modest subscription, but you can have an initial try for free) Several people I know use Duolingo. I've also been doing an Adult Education Course where our teacher is English, whose married to an Italian. She's been teaching for a long time, and I enjoy the classes. Before Covid, they were held in a classroom, but with Covid have been via Zoom.
    ennspek said:
    Online I have been using Babbel (there's a relatively modest subscription, but you can have an initial try for free) Several people I know use Duolingo. I've also been doing an Adult Education Course where our teacher is English, whose married to an Italian. She's been teaching for a long time, and I enjoy the classes. Before Covid, they were held in a classroom, but with Covid have been via Zoom.
    Excellent. Merci!
  • boogieman said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Just finished it. The last episode was the weakest of the series I thought. 
    Agreed. Would have been better finishing half an hour sooner than it did.
    Instead, it’s done that predictable “let’s leave it open for a second series” thing that everyone does these days.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
    ennspek said:
    Currently wading through the American version of House of Cards. Starts off really when but eventually gets quite ridiculous.
    All in all I prefer the original.
    Agreed.

first 3 series were very good, then it goes very silly. Although the last series is a big improvement.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
    “You”

Its a bit like a lightweight Dexter in approach. Only seen 3 episodes so far but I’ll stick with it for now.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    Philly_Q said:
    I've been watching Alice in Borderland on Netflix but finding it quite dull.  Still, only three (and a half) episodes to go so I'll persevere.
    I watched the rest of Alice in Borderland last night, it did get much better (although slowed down by a lot of flashbacks and exposition).  Some of the twists and turns in the plot were really quite clever and surprising.
  • nanomannanoman Frets: 62
    Watched the first ep of Invasion after liking the look of the trailer. Superb. Sam Neil great but all the casting is good. Tension building nicely.

Must revisit Alice in Borderland as well. I think I'm on ep 3 and stalled.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Just started Succession on Sky Atlantic. 

It’s good, but everyone in it is a complete **** and there don’t seem to be any characters that I can warm to.  Even Tony Soprano had redeeming qualities. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    “You”

Its a bit like a lightweight Dexter in approach. Only seen 3 episodes so far but I’ll stick with it for now.
    Seasons 1 and 2 are ace - but Season 3 is a stinker. That's where it REALLY becomes a sub-Dexter homage that doesn't work. But watch 1 and 2. 
    Red ones are better.