The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Philly_Q said:
    What's up with sara pascoe's hands?
    Eh?

=) she just has strange mannerisms with her hands. Have a look next time you see her.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    Mrs Haych and I are currently working our way through My Name Is Earl again.

It's on Disney + and it's aged very well, just as funny and entertaining 15+ years later.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I'm gonna say it: Line of Duty is pretty dire. Woeful acting and over-reliance on being operationally accurate which although I initially found interesting, now grates on my nerves and detracts from any storyline. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    Philly_Q said:
    What's up with sara pascoe's hands?
    Eh?

=) she just has strange mannerisms with her hands. Have a look next time you see her.
    Never noticed!  She's someone I dislike quite intensely so I don't go out of my way to see her, but she's constantly on every comedy panel show so it's only a matter of time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DiscoStu said:
    I'm gonna say it: Line of Duty is pretty dire. Woeful acting and over-reliance on being operationally accurate which although I initially found interesting, now grates on my nerves and detracts from any storyline. 
    Controversial!  I like it, I like it a lot, but the three main (ongoing) characters are all a bit irritating in different ways.... yesterday's first episode didn't really grab me but I'm sure it will pick up.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Philly_Q said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Controversial!  I like it, I like it a lot, but the three main (ongoing) characters are all a bit irritating in different ways.... yesterday's first episode didn't really grab me but I'm sure it will pick up.
    I think it's excellent. The end of last season got dangerously close to shark jumping but other than that it's great. I'm struggling to see woeful acting.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    ennspek said:
    Philly_Q said:
    DiscoStu said:
    I think it's excellent. The end of last season got dangerously close to shark jumping but other than that it's great. I'm struggling to see woeful acting.
    I spent a lot of the episode trying to work out what was/ wasn’t filmed in the pandemic ( I think filming had started, was halted then resumed). When I watched the earlier series  I certainly wasn’t grabbed by it from the start, persevered and then ended up thinking it was great. Certainly very dense, clever writing and not full of loopholes. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    ennspek said:
    Philly_Q said:
    DiscoStu said:
    I spent a lot of the episode trying to work out what was/ wasn’t filmed in the pandemic ( I think filming had started, was halted then resumed). When I watched the earlier series  I certainly wasn’t grabbed by it from the start, persevered and then ended up thinking it was great. Certainly very dense, clever writing and not full of loopholes. 

Usually the first episode starts with a bang, slows down to establish the new characters, then ends with a shock.  It lacked that third element this time, but I'm sure it'll draw me in.

All the stuff with the questioning of the Downs Syndrome guy, and the talk about his flat and the fridge freezer, gave me deja vu - then I realised he was supposed to be the same character from the very first series.  The continuing subplots are so complicated that I struggle to remember anything apart from the broad outline - sometimes not even that!

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited March 2021
    Philly_Q said:
    ennspek said:
    Philly_Q said:
    DiscoStu said:

Usually the first episode starts with a bang, slows down to establish the new characters, then ends with a shock.  It lacked that third element this time, but I'm sure it'll draw me in.

All the stuff with the questioning of the Downs Syndrome guy, and the talk about his flat and the fridge freezer, gave me deja vu - then I realised he was supposed to be the same character from the very first series.  The continuing subplots are so complicated that I struggle to remember anything apart from the broad outline - sometimes not even that!

It's mostly Martin Compston, his accent winds me up and he has zero character or expression. Vicky McClure is usually better than she's been in this show too. I find them both pretty tedious and I'm amazed I've managed to get through all 5 previous series! Earlier on the secondary characters and main baddie mostly made up for this but the 1st episode of this new series... well... everyone looks so bored!
    Even my other half, who is a major LoD fan and the reason I've seen them all, said she almost switched it off this week.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    My main distraction with it was that they appeared to have Mark 4 Mondeo patrol cars on 69 reg plates.

That and the shear amount of operational jargon. It'll probably end up being rather good again though
    That CHIS business did get on my nerves to be fair.
    At least it's accurate. In SWAT they would often burst into a room shouting "two" at each other. I was curious so looked it up. Pure invention apparently
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12345
    the_jaffa said:
    My main distraction with it was that they appeared to have Mark 4 Mondeo patrol cars on 69 reg plates.

That and the shear amount of operational jargon. It'll probably end up being rather good again though
    It's the attention to detail I really like, the fact the stories which although pretty outlandish have to fit round real policing.  All the characters have flaws, why does Steve never get promoted, why is Hastings so gullible and naive in his position, how does everyone in Birmingham not know Kate is an undercover AC12 by now.  I'm hooked.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    munckee said:
    the_jaffa said:

It's the attention to detail I really like, the fact the stories which although pretty outlandish have to fit round real policing.  All the characters have flaws, why does Steve never get promoted, why is Hastings so gullible and naive in his position, how does everyone in Birmingham not know Kate is an undercover AC12 by now.  I'm hooked.
    They know she was AC12 in the current series ( sorry, lots of spoilers). 

I don’t think it ever says Birmingham although there have been recognisable landmarks? 

Kate, I notice, happens to be a Notts Forest fan which I suspect was something shoehorned in by Vicky McClure. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    ( sorry, lots of spoilers). 
    Do warn beforehand mate!
    munckee said:
    the_jaffa said:

The car thing being on incorrect plates shows a bit of a lack of attention detail though. 

I like the attention to detail with the operational stuff but feel they could perhaps tone it back a bit. 

It’s still good viewing though as I said. 
    Oh, and anything with Kelly MacDonald and Vicky McLure in is a good thing with me
    Flight Attendant -  Sky. Only watched episode one but it's good enough to make me watch more.

Based on a book I'm unaware of, Air Stewardess living the high life ends up in deep doo doo.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    ennspek said:
    Flight Attendant -  Sky. Only watched episode one but it's good enough to make me watch more.

Based on a book I'm unaware of, Air Stewardess living the high life ends up in deep doo doo.
    We stopped at 3rd episode - missus didn't like it. I shall continue once I finish Mad Men - I liked it and it has pretty good reviews so hoping for it to pick up a bit as well.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    The Terror. It’s a bit low key at first but it gets a bit of steam up after a few episodes. Quite atmospheric, although it doesn’t really bring over the sense of intense cold that -50 should. 

It falls down somewhat when the monster is revealed in glorious badly done CGI.