SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - Gibson R7/R8/R0. Trade added - Fender American Vintage 65 Strat

What's Hot

Comments

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    Just buy a Harley Benton and upgrade the pick ups job done.

sorry couldn't resist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Just sent a guy a link to here who's looking to sell an R8 Canadian Ltd. Give me a shout if you want me to point you in the direction of his FB post 
    Crazy huge necks on those!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Whitecat said:
    Just sent a guy a link to here who's looking to sell an R8 Canadian Ltd. Give me a shout if you want me to point you in the direction of his FB post 
    Crazy huge necks on those!
    Don’t you get a free bottle of maple syrup too! No brainer 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strat84 said:
    Listing ended  :/
    I just noticed a guitar which looks identical to that one on Richard Henry’s Instagram? Looks like he might have bought it. 
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    strat84 said:
    I just noticed a guitar which looks identical to that one on Richard Henry’s Instagram? Looks like he might have bought it. 
    The one Richard has is a 2014. That eBay auction was a 2017.
  • Ossyrocks said:
    strat84 said:
    Richard Henry has another instagram rick_henry_68 . He posted pics of it on there this morning 
  • DavemateDavemate Frets: 68
    edited February 2021
    Check this beauty out, no affiliation 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333888850005
    Wow, that’s is really nice. Someone please buy it before it’s snapped up and re-listed as ***RARE***NOS***MINT for £5,000.
    My old guitar that is chris, its a great guitar.

https://i.imgur.com/w5aG3bU
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Ossyrocks said:
    strat84 said:
    Richard Henry has another instagram rick_henry_68 . He posted pics of it on there this morning 
    Ok, noted.
  • john_ukjohn_uk Frets: 24
    edited February 2021

;;;;
    chrisj1602 said:
    This looks nice I think. AMP is a good shop, might knock a bit off...

https://ampguitars.com/product/gibson-2014-r8/
    Cheers @chrisj1602 - It does look nice. I wasn't aware of that shop
    Quite close to me so I’ve bought, sold and traded a few times! The owner is called Chris and a really nice guy to deal with!
    @strat84 ....are you going to buy this? Its a fantastic guitar that I really want...so let me know if your'e not going for it. Gonna speak to the shop this morning for more info. Anyone else looking at this..I mean its a real beauty
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 314
    john_uk said:

;;chrisj1602 said:
    This looks nice I think. AMP is a good shop, might knock a bit off...

https://ampguitars.com/product/gibson-2014-r8/
    Cheers @chrisj1602 - It does look nice. I wasn't aware of that shop
    Quite close to me so I’ve bought, sold and traded a few times! The owner is called Chris and a really nice guy to deal with!
    strat64 are you going to buy this? Its a fantastic guitar that I really want...so let me know if your'e not going for it. Gonna speak to the shop this morning for more info. Anyone else looking at this..I mean its a real beauty
    I'm gonna wait to see if anything else interesting shows up. Good luck with the purchase  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Chris, its a beautiful guitar, Sorry for invading your thread I feel like Ive stolen the perfect guitar for you. I wish you all the best in your search and if I see anything I will let you know.
    No worries at all. The R8 was fair game as far as I'm concerned but thanks for asking  :). Cheers
  • Bluesman1989 said: Just sent a guy a link to here who's looking to sell an R8 Canadian Ltd. Give me a shout if you want me to point you in the direction of his FB post 
    Don’t you get a free bottle of maple syrup too! No brainer 
    Yeah but you have to leave a huge tip, otherwise they’ll confront you and ask why you didn’t.  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • I have a belter of an R8 here for sale, sadly the neck is a bit big, but it's surprising how quick you get used to it, it's not a plain top, 2016 model with lifton and cert, if you are interested just let me know, regards Pat. 
  • robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 173
    edited February 2021
    toneclone said:
    I have a belter of an R8 here for sale, sadly the neck is a bit big, but it's surprising how quick you get used to it, it's not a plain top, 2016 model with lifton and cert, if you are interested just let me know, regards Pat. 
    pic? link?
    Bump
    Up - still looking  :)
    Bump
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1198
    I have an odd one - a Plaintop R9. It's from 1999 when all the Historic LPs were, I believe, classified as R9s because it was the 40th anniversary year of the '59. Essentially it's an R8 in all but name!

This might be the "fall at the first" moment but I'd say it's got a pretty big neck!

However, I've no idea if it's "too chunky" for you. I've very little experience of Historic LPs other than the R6 I used to own. That definitely had a slightly bigger neck. My only other Gibson reference point is the "60s rounded C" on my ES345 reissue and the Les Paul is quite a lot fuller than that!

If you're still reading, here are as many of the gory details as I can remember:

It's far from mint - plenty of small dings and suchlike, although nothing too disastrous. No neck breaks or significant damage although the binding in the arch cutaway was starting to come loose a few years ago so I had that re-glued. You can still see and feel where it was loose though.

I also had to replace a tuner where one got bent (I got a replacement direct from Gibson's distributor at the time).

I think the inlays look a bit more ...err.. workmanlike than the more modern, crisp ones but that's how they seem to look on the originals so not necessarily a bad thing. The fingerboard is also quite streaky so probably not the guitar if you want a dark brown, even rosewood 'board with razor sharp inlays!

it's got the stock '57 Classic pickups but the original wiring was replaced with an RS guitarworks wiring kit.

I think the only other change from stock was that I put a lightweight, aluminum tailpiece on (I believe these are now stock).

I've had it since 2003, and bought it from a bloke called Dean, who went under the name "Goodwood" on the Les Paul Forum (before he was banned for about a decade!). 

Has the original "Custom, Art, Historic" case and COA. Weighs 9lb 1oz on digital kitchen scales.

Can't think of anything else to say. I've been meaning to sell it for a while but never get round to it. I have absolutely no idea what it's worth but I realise it's not as desirable as the more recent reissues. It's difficult to value as I guess they're not that common but I'll try and figure out what it's worth, although if you have any idea what's a fair price that would help.

If you're interested I can take proper pictures (front, back, headstock, case, COA etc.) as the ones below are very old and therefore a bit flattering.

The positive is that you are very local (I'm in Newton-le-Willows) so, if interested, you can have a look post lockdown and there are no complications with shipping. 

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • toneclonetoneclone Frets: 11
    Pm,d you again!