What do use for Drums on your DAW

What's Hot
Im pretty (very) new to the "in the box" type of recording,ive have portastudios,and the digital stand alone type,but in the last month decided i wanted to write some more songs and re-record some of my old ones.
I must admit im finding it a pretty steep learning curve atm as im not the greatest with computers,but willing to hang on in there.
I'm using reaper (i have a windows setup btw)
But would like to get some nice rock/pop drums to make my tracks a bit more realistic feel.
To be honest,i want to spend as little as possible, as no doubt there will be other "plug ins" ill have to buy along the way.
The ones ice been looking at over the the last few days are:
EZ Drummer 2 and Addictive Drums
These two keep cropping up all the time
What do you guys use ?
Any help would greatly welcomed
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    edited February 2021
    I have both of those. Ezdrummer is easier to use and toontrack have regular sales on so adding extra kits and midi packs is cheaper.

do you just want good drum samples/sounds or also rhythm/fills,etc examples?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    EZDrummer 2, then I upgraded to Superior Drummer 3. 

Would recommend both, definitely start with EZ Drummer 2 + get this expansion pack: https://www.toontrack.com/product/poprock-ezx/

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    Superior Drummer 3 - Love it
  • I would like fills and grooves to get a bit of inspiration,as these can be edited to i believe.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited February 2021
    I use quite a few but use Addictive Drums 2 mostly because it's the one that I'm most familiar with.

If you want to get started with something that inexpensive, there's MTPowerDrumkit2, which is donationware.
    It's not a competition.
  • SiejenSiejen Frets: 33
    Any of the sampled libraries sound ok in a mix, but the more you spend, the less machine like they can sound when repeating midi patterns (bigger libraries cycle through equivalent velocity snare hits, for example). 
    To that end, I’ve spent more on getting decent midi loops played by drummers (OddGrooves, GGD libraries, GrooveMonkey) that add interest by having lots of playing variations on a beat. 

For what it’s worth I’ve used NI studio Drummer that came with komplete and bought GGD modern and Massive because I wanted something more, well, Modern
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    EZD2 and some AD

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    edited February 2021
    I normally play the main  pattern on a keyboard, then quantize it, then drop in a slightly different pattern for the pre chorus and then a chord pattern. Then I build the song around that. 

Then I send it to a guy called Steve Duffy who plays real drums to it and sends me the stems. He's all set for internet session drumming, has great drums, mics and superb technique. His real drums then replace mine
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I use MT Power Drumkit Free. Need to humanise the midi a little as it can sound a bit EDM/industrial in fills. There are midi packs with it that I used during the first lockdown, but ended up looking for more.

Most of the companies that produce them have a pack or two of free packs. I bought some of Ugritone packs which need a bit of work (some dropped beats, some quantising) and an EZ Drummer pack.
  • Ez is excellent. Very simple to use and sounds good. Perfect for getting started.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • a mix of GGD and BFD3
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    BFD3 which I sometimes program on a keyboard or get a real drummer to play ekit. 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    BFD3 also, I have Addictive Drums 2 but it didn't come close to BFD3 IMO. I have heard good things about Superior Drummer 3 as well.
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Superior  Drummer 3, but also had good results with the Native Instruments stuff in the past too.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    If you download the rather excellent, well actually superb, free Cakewalk DAW, it comes loaded with SI Drummer, which is pretty damn good for nothing.

I use AD 2, mainly through habit. I also have Drum Replacer (quite cool actually), Battery (ace) and all the Abbey Road drum stuff that comes with Komplete - but I always go back to AD 2, but that is likely as I say due to familiarity. I should look at EZ, but tbh I think there is not a lot between most things. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I use MT Power for patterns for pop/dance stuff because they're fast to audition, though I always modify them anyway. 

I have used various programmes, but the current version of Groove Agent does most of what I need, as everything is tweakable. 

For more band orientated music I get my missus to play it in with her Yamaha midi kit, then edit to taste.

I usually get her to do a few "sensible" passes then a couple where she just goes wild and rattles round the kit at will, which is often where I get the best fills from. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited February 2021
    Snap said:

I use AD 2, mainly through habit...

You may already know this but I sometimes use the 'Snare Shallow Hit' instead of the 'Snare Open Hit'. I find that gives more ring and a closer sound to some of the alternative drum VSTi's.

Sometimes I use the two together to add a bit of a ring. But currently the 'Snare Shallow Hit' has to be programmed in the midi grid. It would be good if there were a 'Snare Shallow Hit' option in the Linked Snare dropdown menu. I did suggest it to XLN and got a reply that they'd consider it, but it's not yet been implemented.

It's not a competition.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Superior 3 here too.

Multitude reasons, mainly because I love the Metal Foundry expansion.  I find the level of humanisation the best to my ears, although this is subjective.  I also love the built in tracker so if I need to add samples to a live kit recording, assuming I have some good individual tracks I can do it really simply.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited February 2021
    Stephen Slate Drums 5 

Most natural samples I've heard, and I've tried a fair few! 

Also comparatively cheap, and there's a free kit version for you to try it. 

Super easy to program. Start with a loop you like, drag it into an editor, edit the notes, velocity and swing to get it to sound less perfect, then add some % chances on your ghost snare notes for the same reason. 

When you need a fill or a variation, rinse and repeat. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Stephen Slate Drums 5 

Most natural samples I've heard, and I've tried a fair few! 

Also comparatively cheap, and there's a free kit version for you to try it. 

Super easy to program. Start with a loop you like, drag it into an editor, edit the notes, velocity and swing to get it to sound less perfect, then add some % chances on your ghost snare notes for the same reason. 

When you need a fill or a variation, rinse and repeat. 
    I've ended up with SSD5 also.. I got the Blackbird Studios sample pack which has a slightly less reverby main sound. I've had great results with Bluenoise Drummix (free version is called My Drumset) too. I've used SSD's onboard loops as well as some GrooveMonkey packs. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"