Guitar returner: Marshall, Boss & Yamaha amps with multiple occupancy living?

What's Hot
I've returned to playing electric guitar after a decade of only playing an archtop acoustically. Alas, I live in an apartment where substandard building methods mean there's little chance of cranking up the volume. Not long before lockdown (part 1.) started, I got myself a Strat and a pair of the Boss Waza Air headphones. Since then I've been playing everyday and have really loved getting back into playing something louder with a bit of bite. I really like the freedom of wireless playing with the Waza Air headphones. But to be honest, I rarely use the on board effects as it's all just a bit too fiddly. I've got a good clean and a dirty setting which I switch between, but if you've used the headphones, you'll know the switching isn't ideal. Most of my playing is noodling along to something, playing by myself (no pun intended) or learning something new off YouTube (other online streaming services are available). I don't need anything to gig with. 

However, I'd like some new kit. The things I'm looking at are: 

a) A looper pedal, perhaps the Boss RC-5
b) An Amp to connect the looper pedal to
c) Boss Wireless adapters for the amp/looper so I can still be wireless roaming around my flat. 

For the amp, that's my biggest conundrum (or first world problem). I don't need anything loud, and got rid of my old amps a decade ago. I've always lived in flats/apartments so have never really been able to crank anything up. When I did have amps, adjusting the volume was a nightmare as anything above 1.5 on the volume control seemed deafening even on a 15watt amp. And neighbours frown upon hearing you practice something again. And again. And again. And again.

For the amps:

1. Marshall DSL-1CR It's 1watt, can be set lower and has a dedicated effects loop. I'd probably get a stand for it. 
2. Boss Katana Air It has the onboard wireless, but no effects loop and sits happily on a desk. 
3. Yamaha THR-II Wireless It's got wireless, but again, no effects loop but also sits happily on a desk. 

Is there anything else I should be looking at or have missed off the amp list? And does anybody have any of the above amps and could recommend something? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 1. Marshall DSL-1CR It's 1watt, can be set lower and has a dedicated effects loop. I'd probably get a stand for it. 

Is there anything else I should be looking at or have missed off the amp list? And does anybody have any of the above amps and could recommend something? 
    I have the Marshall and don't find it a great solution for a decent tone at low "neighbour friendly" volume. You will have to play it loud to get any kind of satisfying Marshall tone. The 0.1W setting is handy if you want to practice something with a bit of amp distortion at TV volume but it doesn't sound very impressive. I think you are better off with something like a THR for that kind of use.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1088
    I’m the other way I have the Marshall and think it’s great. Struggled to manage big amps with 1x12 or 2x12 for a while, Marshall is a really good plug and play, quiet as you like practice amp. I like the tones and even turning up the clean channel to get some proper overdrive, while too loud for ‘normal’ home volume, isn’t criminally loud if you’ve incorrectly thought the neighbours weren’t home. Everyone’s ears are different and everyone’s idea of home volume is different.
    Buy, try and be prepared to return, I say
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 939
    I have a couple of very elderly relatives living with me who go to bed early and sleep light, the THR is perfect in this scenario. Great variety of tones available at even the lowest of volumes and can be cranked up a wee bit when there's no one around to disturb. Not tried the Marshall, borrowed a Katana Air, very good but prefer the Yamaha.
    Welcome back to the fold.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sergiosergio Frets: 115
    The Yamaha is very good for your use case and it also has a battery so you can run it unplugged for a while. If you want to use a looper with the amp you can always buy the non-wireless version and get a different external wireless system. A bit more faff but gives you more flexibilty, in addition to probably being cheaper overall.
  • Consider a Spark amp.
  • Okay, so a plus and a minus for the Mashall 1watter. But, it is a great looking amp. I'm guessing it'll sound a bit better compared to the others, as I think it's a valve amp?  

Yamaha THR seems to be the way to head. 

Not really sure about the Spark amp. It looks good, but after looking on eBay, I can't understand why they sell for far more used, than they cost new? And I'm guessing that it ships from the USA, and I'll have import tax etc to pay.

And not much love for the Boss Air at all! 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    I have an original THR10 and it's real strong suit is sounding good at whisper volume. It does that better than anything else I've tried. 
    I just use it with a cheap Bluetooth receiver plugged in the aux port and a Boss WL20 system giving me wireless convenience. I can also use the wireless with other kit which I couldn't do if buying the wireless THR MkII....
  • BlobBlob Frets: 7

My current amp is a Marshall DSL 1, I almost exclusively use it on the reduced setting, where I can get away with about 3/4 volume on the classic and ultra gain channels but with the gain around 9 o'clock. I’ve tried a few different solutions but this is the best fit for me, it fits in a cupboard which keeps the wife happy, it’s not too loud and it sounds ok. 

I will try a Yamaha when we are allowed out again, but I wish they’d stuck to making a good sound rather than modelling so many different amps and effects. 

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    Okay, so a plus and a minus for the Mashall 1watter. But, it is a great looking amp. I'm guessing it'll sound a bit better compared to the others, as I think it's a valve amp?  

Yamaha THR seems to be the way to head. 

Not really sure about the Spark amp. It looks good, but after looking on eBay, I can't understand why they sell for far more used, than they cost new? And I'm guessing that it ships from the USA, and I'll have import tax etc to pay.

And not much love for the Boss Air at all! 
    The Spark actually ships from Germany, though feck knows what that means tax wise since the idiots have taken us out of Europe. 

They sell for more on ebay simply because people are prepared to pay a bit more to jump the wait. I've got one and it's pretty good all things considered: nice clean sound and some good higher gain stuff. The crunch and light gain isn't as convincing but I've always found that with digital thingies. I actually don't use mine much but then I seem to be playing less and less overall...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• I got a Spark earlier this year and its a great bit of kit. I've played more in the last couple of months than I have in the last year. Its a great practice tool and I find I don't spend hours tweaking tones like I have with other modellers in the past. eg. I just download a tone I like and go. Other than the volume pot I've not touched the amps controls since I've had it.
    Tone wise I personally don't think there's much between any of these small digital amps. I think its worth £200 just for all the additional features and simplicity. 

I ordered mine direct from Positive Grid and had it delivered in about two weeks. I pretty sure it came direct from China. Just paid the standard VAT no additional import taxes etc.
  • muppetteermuppetteer Frets: 3
    edited April 2021
    So, after a lot of consideration and debate, I needed up with The Marshall DSL1 which so far has been great. 

I’ve already got a set of the Boss Waza Air headphones, which are great, but I have to spend ages trying to dial in a tone which sounds good. And even then it’s not that great, as I find it quite fiddly to get something decent.

The Marshall has turned out to be the opposite of this. The clean channel sounds good as it is without any fussing. The foot switch to the gain channel is great too. It’s got everything I need at the moment and is playable at home volumes at the 0.1w setting. It’s still really loud if cranked up.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    I can recommend the Donner Circle Looper. Has a drum section and the ability to save loads of loops.