Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 4i4?

What's Hot
Since I returned to just playing at home and a bit of recording I've managed with the Scarlett solo but it's quite restricting with just the single line/mic inputs.  

I'm quite happy with the Focusrite brand so I plan to upgrade to either the 2i2 or 4i4.  All I really need is the facility to record a stereo output so the two extra line ins on the 4i4 for another £50 seems a bit extravagant.  But I wonder if I am missing something - does the 4i4 do anything else that the 2i2 doesn't?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    Oooo following this.
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    the 4i4 has more connections (including line ins) and Midi.

That's about it. I tend to view this sort of thing as an extra £50 now is cheaper than needing the extras in a years time and having to buy the better spec'd one in the first place.

That said though - I used my 1st gen 2i4 for years without a problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    go big, or go home.  simples!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    I've been running the equivalent Steinberg interface, a UR22 for years with no problem but I've just bought a UR44 for my newer Mac, so I had exactly the same decision to make. 

I didn't desperately need to, but as @fretmeister says it's much cheaper to do it now than later, and the extra hardware routing options mean I've been playing with re-amping and old analogue effects units in a way I couldn't for years. 

Most of us these days do everything in software, but some wonderfully unexpected things happen when you put your snare drum through a real Tonebender. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom