Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

£900 on an amp from Andertons - option paralysis!

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    edited February 2021
    @ICBM It was as mostly the way it sounded with pedals, yes. The clean sounds were pretty decent and I liked the reverb. 
    Have you sent it back yet?

If not, try using the Normal channel, set that how you want the base tone with the pedal, then jumper to the Vibrato channel with a short cable, turn the treble down and the reverb (and tremolo intensity if you’re using that) up further than normal, and use the volume control to blend it in.

This is a standard problem with BF/SF Fenders, and they appear to have modelled it accurately...

If you have already sent it back and you definitely want something different and valve, but still want the Fender clean sound and reverb, try the Hotrod Deville. But be careful... make sure it’s a keeper because they’re almost impossible to sell second hand due to the size and weight.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    @ICBM It was as mostly the way it sounded with pedals, yes. The clean sounds were pretty decent and I liked the reverb. 
    Have you sent it back yet?

If not, try using the Normal channel, set that how you want the base tone with the pedal, then jumper to the Vibrato channel with a short cable, turn the treble down and the reverb (and tremolo intensity if you’re using that) up further than normal, and use the volume control to blend it in.

This is a standard problem with BF/SF Fenders, and they appear to have modelled it accurately...

If you have already sent it back and you definitely want something different and valve, but still want the Fender clean sound and reverb, try the Hotrod Deville. But be careful... make sure it’s a keeper because they’re almost impossible to sell second hand due to the size and weight.
    It's on its way back, but thanks for the tip. 

I'll take a look at the Deville, but sounds like it might be too big. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I'll take a look at the Deville, but sounds like it might be too big.
    Yes, it will be if you’ve got to carry it up and down to the top of the house... I didn’t see that bit in time. It’s not only very heavy, it’s also an awkward shape.

To be honest you’re going to struggle to get a valve amp that will do what you want with a band and is light enough, even as a head and cabinet.

If Andertons had them in stock - they don’t appear to, but it may be worth asking since they are a Yamaha dealer - then I would suggest a THR100HD and a lightweight cab, either the Yamaha one or something else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PudWudPudWud Frets: 156
    @PudWud @dindude I'll take a look at the 68 Deluxe Custom thanks

@bermudianbandit I'd say 20kg ish is OK, so both are around that. Ac30 is heavier and massive. You're right though, size and weight is a factor as the amp will mostly live at the top of the house. 
    This video is worth a watch if you haven’t already seen it - https://youtu.be/8wrZ_G6Sch4
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11878
    what guitars do you play
    which artists would you like to sound like?
  • ICBM said:

To be honest you’re going to struggle to get a valve amp that will do what you want with a band and is light enough, even as a head and cabinet.

It's funny isn't it, at this price point (which is not a small amount of money) in the new guitar market, there are literally hundreds of really really good options - almost endless.

With amps, there is much less choice at this level, and it feels like you have to sacrifice something to get something else (portable, but no reverb, or loud, but too heavy). Maybe it's just the Andertons selection. Or maybe it's me being unrealistic.

Thanks for all the help chaps.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31475
    HRD IV with a neo Creamback and some pedals? 

It's really hard to beat a HotRod Deluxe as a pedal platform without a crazy budget, and the current ones have a lightweight pine cab. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • what guitars do you play
    which artists would you like to sound like?
    I have an Esquire, a Fidelity Stellrosa with goldfoils and have ordered a Sterling Mariposa with HBs.

Music wise, pretty varied. When I'm learning songs, it's 50's rockabilly and 60's surf. The kind of music we play in the band is more like Sonic Youth, At The Drive-In, Stooges.

Previously, at rehearsals I've plugged in to the cleanest amp they have which at our place is actually a Roland JC120 and used my board for all other sounds. The JC was really nice.

Would the JC40 be an option? Definitely suitable for home, but could it cut it at a small gig? 
  • I like the sounds of fifties rock, rockabilly and surf

Has to be tube (sorry, just does now), but other than that, I'm pretty open. 
    Perhaps something tweedier is what you need? Can you stretch the budget to a '57 deluxe or '59 Bassman? (The latter might be a bit too loud :o and neither are in stock at Andertons so possibly not the most useful contribution.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2021

Music wise, pretty varied. When I'm learning songs, it's 50's rockabilly and 60's surf. The kind of music we play in the band is more like Sonic Youth, At The Drive-In, Stooges.

Previously, at rehearsals I've plugged in to the cleanest amp they have which at our place is actually a Roland JC120 and used my board for all other sounds. The JC was really nice.

Would the JC40 be an option? Definitely suitable for home, but could it cut it at a small gig? 
    Probably. They do seem to have a known issue with hiss though, which you might find annoying at home.

The real problem is that the amp I would pick given all your requirements is... the one you’ve just sent back .

Actually... was it the black one with Jensens? If so the blonde one with Celestions will be more pedal-friendly.

• If I reall stretch the budget, I could probably get enough together for a Mesa Recto Verb 25 head.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/mesa-boogie-recto-verb-25-head

I'd have to wait to buy a can for it though, but it may be worth the stretch and wait? Seems like a versatile amp, and they have a great reputation. 
    If I reall stretch the budget, I could probably get enough together for a Mesa Recto Verb 25 head.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/mesa-boogie-recto-verb-25-head

I'd have to wait to buy a can for it though, but it may be worth the stretch and wait? Seems like a versatile amp, and they have a great reputation. 
    I didn’t think that was within your budget or I’d have suggested it...

If you need a cab for the short term, get a Harley Benton G112V with a V30 - 90% of the sound of the Mesa cab for only just over £100 new (VAT needs to be added now).

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112_vintage.htm

Or even less second hand if you can find one.

• newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    edited February 2021
    The 68 custom Princeton is still the most useful amp I`ve ever bought - light, portable and with a speaker change to an eminence Rajun Cajun, perfectly giggable. Not stupid loud, but plenty for pub gigs. I carry a flat sennheiser mic too to hang through the handle  and put a bit through the PA for spread and it`s great. 

It has a fab reverb and vibrato for the 50s and 60s stuff you mention, and personally I`d choose it every time over the 57 Deluxe I also have.

Voiced well for pedals, and it`s small enough to have the power amp valves working a bit, which I find makes drives sit more nicely.

Andertons list them at £969, but there seems to be a bit of a wait currently :-(

Other than that a Super Sonic 22? Heard one gigged at a pub locally a while ago and it sounded stunning with a few pedals. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Your choices seem to be all over the place.  I really would wait until you can go somewhere to try some amps rather than buying blind and hoping for the best
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • @John_A You're absolutely right. That's part of the probelm. A symptom of lockdown I guess. 

I'll have to see how the exchange credit works with Andertons. 

Cheers. 

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    @John_A You're absolutely right. That's part of the probelm. A symptom of lockdown I guess. 

I'll have to see how the exchange credit works with Andertons. 

Cheers. 

Never been guilty of such things myself ;)
  • www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 171
    edited February 2021
    Worth considering an AC30CH Head? £749, has a built-in attenuator (30w/3w/0.3w) for home playing. You could feasibly have a smaller cab upstairs and a bigger one kept somewhere downstairs for lugging to pub gigs.
  • How about the PRS MT15. Andertons sell that and the cab for £800 odd
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Gents. I'm going to have a think, watch lots of Youtube videos on these suggestions and then hopefully make an informed decision.

I'll NAD whatever I go for.

Cheers.