Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What do you use for Guitar Amps in your DAW?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I use a Torpedo Captor to connect my amps to my interface
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    smigeon said:

Or even tips for getting better sounds from Amp Designer? I mainly use clean sounds with sometimes a little bit of hair; I like both classic Marshall and Fender cleans. I (try to) do jazz as well as rock/pop.

If you want an amp sim that does that really well - scutham S gear is the one to go for... 

for cheap as chips results, Harley Benton do a  attenuator with xlr out that you can plug straight into your interface and run an IR... £70 delivered.. works well...

Alternatively have a word with @dainty his latest album was done entirely with logics amp designer! and there is cock all wrong with the tones on that album!!!! “Dainty - ODAAT” if you want to listen...

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    smigeon said:
    Dodge said:
    Your Princeton into a REACTIVE load box, into your DAW and through a decent IR will be better than all the amp sim plugins. You'll have less choice than software amp sims though.

You could also create your own IR of your own cab and mic.
    Good point! I might well end up doing this - I do love the sound of my Princeton. 

OK, next question :-) : what's a good reactive load box to get for a Princeton? 
    I've got two 16 ohm Tube Town Tonehounds which I built, and two 8 ohm Two Notes Captors.  Both are excellent.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Danny1969 said:

The problem I have now with Digital stuff isn't that it's not good, it's that everybody sounds the same. I think I only notice this because I watch a massive amount of instructional guitar vids but it's kinda put me off. Actually using real amps with no digital processing at gives a more pleasing sound to my ears. 
    I'm starting to think the same. I'm getting surprisingly good results when roughing out ideas using the onboard DSP amps in my interface and I've used a fair few other amp sims over the years, but it removes the "happy accident" effect of using real amps, pedals and mics. 

Adding to which I don't have a cab sim for a 1951 Richard Allan Radio Bafflette Deluxe, so I have to use a real one. :)

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited February 2021
    I've used Guitar Rig pro 5 for ages. It's OK, but tbh most of the patches are real overkill. I tend to build my own simple set ups which IMO are much better.

Recently I've started to use the Waves guitar stuff a lot more. I bought the Gold bundle and that comes loaded with a load of stuff for guitar. It's simple and crisp and sounds great. I like it. I use that for a lot of bass too now. It's much more like using traditional amps, mics, cabs and stomp boxes.

I also have Eventide's TH3 which is very good. Sounds good.

I'll be upgrading Komplete to 13 soon, so will have a look at GR Pro 6 too, which is bundled with it.

Lately I've also started using my guitar dry straight into the DAW, and processing the sound afterwards. That's proving to be a useful alternative too.

With all this stuff, I find that you easily lose sight of what you want really, which for me is a straight up clean or dirty tone. For me, a lot of the software is just too FX and processing heavy. 

When I first started in a band in the early 80s, all I used was a guitar a 2x12, a head, and a couple of stomp boxes. I find more and more I am coming back to that simplicity really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I use the Slate package, which used to include Scuffham, I got used to that and then they dropped it for Overloud THU, which I now use quite a lot. They appear to have modelled a Kemper, and Slate includes a plexi model which I use almost exclusively.
    I like a few of the LePou free ones as well as the free ones from Ignite, including their IR loader.
    No need to pay for anything else.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    Dodge said:
    Your Princeton into a REACTIVE load box, into your DAW and through a decent IR will be better than all the amp sim plugins. You'll have less choice than software amp sims though.

You could also create your own IR of your own cab and mic.
    This. 
  • This little £30 box does it for me. 

• duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Sounds great @LightB4sound ;
     What guitar were you using with it?
  • Vandal. 
  • I got a Mooer Preamp Pedal this week - the "Brown Sound" model. Sounds fabulous into my Interface.

• Thanks @duotone just a 1990s USA standard strat. Not bad for a £30 pedal!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I spent quite some time thoroughly comparing as many plugin amp sims as I could find.

There have been so many different recs in the thread that I don't think me adding a couple of my favourites is going to be helpful.

What I will report is that NI Guitar Rig is significantly worse than any other well known ones, it sounds like it's generations of technology behind.

I'll also say that some of the better ones were also some of the cheaper ones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just been messing with plugins today. And in terms of a high gain 5051 kind of sound I actually preferred my ageing Guitar Rig 5 to the newer Amplitube 5 version. 

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    I've just been messing with plugins today. And in terms of a high gain 5051 kind of sound I actually preferred my ageing Guitar Rig 5 to the newer Amplitube 5 version. 
    I struggle with 5150s anyway tbh, never sound good without a boost but I havent been getting on with the amplitube 5 one either. Best one I have is the STL Tonality one but that is very much aimed at a super savage sound. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • EskerEsker Frets: 80
    I use my Princeton mixed with an sm57 straight into a focusrite scarlet solo into my iPad Pro and GarageBand....Its not a pro sound but its good enough for me.....I’m a total newbie recording, but its fun.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 248
    edited March 2021
    At the weekend I saw that there was an offer of a free Soldano SLO100 amp modeller from IK Multimedia. I was suckered in and decided to install it on my iMac. This required me to sign up for an account, then download and install a management application. Then it seemed I needed to install a version of Amplitube, which I did.

However, I never got to try the amp because as soon as I started Amplitube it crashed. Several times. Frustrated I decided to remove it, however whilst the management application would allow me to buy or install more stuff there was no uninstall option. So I dragged both Amplitube and the manager to the bin and deleted them. However, I now find that there are bits of it left across the system in the plugin folders etc.

I'm now waiting for IK Multimedia to send me an inevitable satisfaction survey.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2021
    I run a loop that allows me to use various VST FX/Amps with my Kemper & FX8 setup. I can also take a DI out from the Kemper back into the DAW, so lots of flexibility.

DAW --> Reamp Box --> FX8 --> Kemper --> DAW

Regarding the software side of things it's most of the usual suspects already mentioned above, but it's nice to be able to send the VST FX through the Kemper, or the FX8 and/or Kemper FX through an Amp Sim, etc.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.