Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

RIP Melvyn Hiscock

What's Hot
Sad to report that dear Melvyn has passed away. One of the nicest people ever and a friend for 40 years. 

Most people here will owe him for getting us started with his books. Top man. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 123
    edited February 2021
    Sorry to hear that, my condolences to his family and friends. I hired his book from the local library to make my first build and quicky ordered a copy for myself. I seen him post on here not that long ago, sad news.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RIP, another with the original book on the shelves :-( 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 287
    That is sad. I bought his book and read it straight through.
    Looks like it may have been cancer.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    edited February 2021
    RIP sir. I found Build Your Own Electric Guitar in the college library and would look at it rather than the computer studies titles I should have been reading. It all seemed so doable. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 334
    This really is the saddest news for me.

I go back a long way with Melvyn. He was part of my youth and made me a couple of Explorer guitars when I first started out playing, it is fair to say he was literally instrumental in my life as a guitarist. He used to bring along guitars he'd made to gigs for me to test the construction to see if I could smash them up. for this I got a mention in the acknowledgements his book.

He was an incredibly genuine man with the most fantastic sense of humour which apart from the guitars my endearing memory of him will be laughter and silliness. One of my Explorer guitars which we called "the Bogie" broke a few years ago (it's the one in the picture below, now residing in "The Portsmouth Music Experience Exhibition") without hesitation he gave me another explorer which true to Melvin's sense of humour is covered in Don Martin cartoons. I shall be playing it later in his memory. 

A sad day

Melv's guitar's gave me the confidence to do this:

https://i.imgur.com/tlBrZuC.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited February 2021 tFB Trader
    I've just heard that Melvyn Hiscock has sadly lost his battle with cancer.

Melvyn's book Make Your Own Electric Guitar was a reference bible for all of us builders both hobbyist and professional. 

A sad loss to the guitar world.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
    edited February 2021

So sad to hear, a fine chap who was always full of terrible jokes and sometimes red wine, I shall miss him.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Sad to hear.   He was local-ish to me and although we’d never met, I had some social media interaction with him regarding setting up a couple of my guitars.  
    Unfortunately he was never well enough to get around to it, but he always came across as a loverly fella. RIP. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    I only met him once, he was such a nice guy to talk to, I never used his book but he obviously had a massive influence on alot people, another good one gone too soon
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited February 2021
    Always seemed very knowledgeable (obviously) and nice :( 

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/784325/#Comment_784325
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    A sad loss indeed. What a lovely guy he was.
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1325
    Back before the internet, his book was the go to reference for home builders. I couldn't have built my first guitar without it. Definitely a sad loss - might have to pick up the recently updated version.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That is sad news. I ordered a copy of his book and ended up a lovely lengthy conversation with him about guitar building. He seemed an opinionated but charming man.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    :(

I built a couple of guitars with what I'd learned from that book, decided I wasn't really cut out for that, and ended up just being a repairer... but still owe a lot of what I know to him.

RIP

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    That's sad news.  I don't know much about him but he's a very familiar name.  I also have his book Make Your Own Electric Guitar.  Which I never did, well not from scratch, but it was a good read and useful when I put together a few partscasters.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Moved to tributes - will be merged with the thread there 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    A true inspiration to many of us on here, I had his book when I was at school and it made me build guitars. I have the newer version too.
    RIP Melvyn.
  • Sad to hear.

His bulid your own electric guitar book was one of the books my dad adored and he long promised to make me one after reading it.

Took him nearly 30 years but my Dad did eventually manage to make a fully working bass from scratch. :)

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I just found out and I'm completely gutted.
    He was very helpful when I started building instruments.
    RIP mate.
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    RIP Fella.