edited March 2021 tFB Trader
    Some mighty fine crap from an era before the 60's

Tea for two - Doris Day
    How much is that doggie in the window - don't know who sang it 
    Tip toe thru' the tulips - don't know who sang it
    A your adorable - Perry Como
    Catch a fallen star - again Perry Como
    Your a pink tooth brush - Max Bygraves
    and you'd have to put up a good fight to stop George Formby and 'Leaning on a lamp post' to not join this list (yet weirdly I like some G Formby songs

plus a bit later - Cinderella Rockerfella - again don't know who sang it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some mighty fine crap from an era before the 60's

Tea for two - Doris Day
    How much is that doggie in the window - don't know who sang it 
    Tip toe thru' the tulips - don't know who sang it
    A your adorable - Perry Como
    Catch a fallen star - again Perry Como
    Your a pink tooth brush - Max Bygraves
    and you'd have to put up a good fight to stop George Formby and 'Leaning on a lamp post' to not join this list (yet weirdly I like some G Formby songs

plus a bit later - Cinderella Rockerfella - again don't know who sang it
    Tip toe and Cinderella Rockefeller already downing first show. 
  • Listening to the 5th show selections .... Dick a dum dum  ;)
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    fob said:
    Livin' On A Prayer
    I was going to put that on the best songs ever list!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    fob said:
    Livin' On A Prayer
    I was going to put that on the best songs ever list!
    Hardly compares to I’m the urban spaceman though!
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    edited March 2021
    Show 2 of awful songs on at 11am, just ask Alexa play Abbey104 or go to www.abbey104.com 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Show 2 of awful songs on at 11am, just ask Alexa play Abbey104 or go to www.abbey104.com 
    Got it on. MrsTheWeary thinks I’ve lost my marbles, worse than the all rap weekend of 2016. 
    Although some bloody catchy choons. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There was some great facts I found out that I didn’t know during research. 
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    born slippy - underworld, nice synth intro that lasts a few seconds, then 10 minutes of literally just drumming and someone talking over the top of it.

spaceman - babylon zoo. interesting intro, then quickly descends into the most dull song ever.

I know why they were successful (trainspotting and jeans ad) but they are just rubbish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

spaceman - babylon zoo. interesting intro, then quickly descends into the most dull song ever.

Number one when Eric Jr was born. Although, yes, the interesting bit is the intro. They were from Wolverhampton so they have to get a let off card from me. 
    If you ever do a show 'hits from the West Midlands' let me know! 

Jeans ads were a big thing, I was trying to work out the other day why The Joker was number in 1990 when it had been released in 1973 and apparently jeans ad again. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Best Jeans ad was for Brutus Jeans which I think was made into a song called Jeans On by David Dundas. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Best Jeans ad was for Brutus Jeans which I think was made into a song called Jeans On by David Dundas. 

Have to disagree. The Lee Cooper ad done by Gary Numan was great. Not so great was the con of the soundtrack when John duCann did it on TOTP and everyone went "Bollocks, where's Gary Numan?".
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    edited March 2021
    Don't forget the famous "laundromat" advert from the 1980's where the guy takes his Levis off to Marvin Gaye's "Heard it through the Grapevine"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72320
    Neill said:
    Don't forget the famous "laundromat" advert from the 1980's where the guy takes his Levis off to Marvin Gaye's "Heard it through the Grapevine"
    That whole series of Levi's ads for both 501s and Chinos were fantastic. You can get a compilation album with all of them apart from (I think) the last two, which were Babylon Zoo and Stiltskin... it seemed to run out of steam after that for some reason.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    No 1 when I was 14 was Those Were The Days by Mary Hopkin. How uncool. A few weeks before it was Jumping Jack Flash, a couple of weeks after it was Joe Cocker’s cover of a Little Help From My Friends. It still amazes me how the charts in that era were such a mishmash of very decent hard rock tunes and complete pap that your granny would love to listen to. 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    boogieman said:
    No 1 when I was 14 was Those Were The Days by Mary Hopkin. How uncool. A few weeks before it was Jumping Jack Flash, a couple of weeks after it was Joe Cocker’s cover of a Little Help From My Friends. It still amazes me how the charts in that era were such a mishmash of very decent hard rock tunes and complete pap that your granny would love to listen to. 
    That's why I thought it was really weird when John Peel started presenting TOTP - I assumed he had been bribed, or threatened with the sack or something, but apparently he really wanted to do it, in spite of all the dross that was around at the time.  Whatever, it did his credibility no harm whatsoever.

Contrast that with Peel's "nemesis" around that time, whimpering Bob Harris who really was/is a music snob.  I remember when the New Wave came along he just couldn't conceal his disgust.  For a popular music broadcaster he has very exclusive views, can't stand him.
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    JCA2550 said:
    Gonna write a Classic 
    Best do it in an attic ?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Neill said:
    boogieman said:
    That's why I thought it was really weird when John Peel started presenting TOTP - I assumed he had been bribed, or threatened with the sack or something, but apparently he really wanted to do it, in spite of all the dross that was around at the time.  Whatever, it did his credibility no harm whatsoever.

Contrast that with Peel's "nemesis" around that time, whimpering Bob Harris who really was/is a music snob.  I remember when the New Wave came along he just couldn't conceal his disgust.  For a popular music broadcaster he has very exclusive views, can't stand him.
    I don’t dislike Bob but he’s always trended towards the MOR end of music. You could see the glee in his eyes whenever Jackson Browne or Judy Tzuke played on OGWT, as against the obvious disdain of his infamous “mock rock” comment after the New York Dolls had played. John Peel had the broader musical taste and was always a must-listen for me in my teens. I learnt so much from listening to his program. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4152
    Neill said:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^  - I bet many would love a party band playing a host of these 'good time Butlin's style' cabaret songs and as such acts exists for this market - I bet a band would earn more money playing such songs, plus get more work, than another 'talented pentatonic blues band' - Or indeed the All right now/boys are back in town/ Sweet home Alabama band
    When I was in a covers band I was quickly disabused of any notions of credibility, it's show business and I didn't care what I played so long as the audience enjoyed it.  For instance, one of our go to songs was actually "Wig Wam Bam" originally by the Sweet.  It's actually quite fun to play, but as some will know, there are women of a certain age who learned the little dance that folk did to the song BITD.  A bit like the Time Warp (and I've seen many a hardened rocker dancing to that).

I remember a story told to me about this semi pro band who were booked to play at a wedding reception.  They spent an hour just playing their own material until an exasperated father of the bride came up and pleaded with them "Lads, don't you know any tunes...."

As a hardened rocker wig wam bam and other sweet stuff is quite acceptable 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4152
    A lot of the records here are quite good. What about all the crappy soap opera covers

eastenders - anyone can fall in love  Every looser wins etc terrible