Awful songs that somehow made it.

What's Hot

Comments

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    How about “Grandad” by that bloke off Dad’s Army.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Clive Dunn, that will be in show 3 or 4 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowla said:
    ICBM said:
    JohnS37 said:
    The Final Countdown.
    That's so cheesy I actually like it now. The guitar solo is brilliant, total Blackmore pastiche.

One I heard on late-night TV the other day having mercifully forgotten about for decades - Lily The Pink, by Scaffold. The band name should have been carried out...
    Jack Bruce ,graham Nash and some others appear on that too, can’t remember if mc cart yes on it 

I saw Europe supporting Deep Purple a couple of years ago - they were really good.

The Scaffold - featuring John Gorman (of Tiswas fame!).
    Jack Bruce and graham Nash appeared on it with scaffold I think both doing backing vocals I just couldn’t remember if mc cart Ed was on there too. There was one clip where they play it and get the verses mixed up 

• That’s a great song
    merlin said:
    Total Eclipse of the Heart. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 2nd Show 
    Goody Goody Gumdrops 1910 Fruitgum Company 
    Itsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini Timmy Mallett
    Little Arrows Leapy Lee
    running bear Johnny Preston
    Beach Baby beach First class
    My boomerang won’t come back Charlie Drake
    Lily the Pink The Scaffold 
    Telephone man Meri Wilson
    Ernie Fastest Milkman Benny Hill 
    Hello Muddah Hello Faddah Alan Sherman 
    mouldy old dough Lieutenant Pigeon 
    Is this the way to Amarillo Tony Christie
    Can Can Bad Manners 
    I’ve got beach baby on vinyl 45 somewhere it’s a masterpiece 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    2nd Show 
    Little Arrows Leapy Lee
    Can Can Bad Manners 
    Yes it is - that's basically John Carter who is/was an absolute pop legend.  He was behind names such as The Ivy League and White Plains who recorded a number of classic pop songs in the 60's.

I'm not having "Amarillo" either - at least not by Tony Christie, the pride of Sheffield.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My mate played in First Class as part of the touring band, none of them were on the song or even met anyone who was part of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14216
    tFB Trader
    Years ago in Portugal, I met a guy who claimed to be the bass player in the Wombles - Easy enough claim to make as no one knows what they look like - So I quickly asked who the guitar player was and he quickly replied 'my mate Chris Spedding' - So I accepted his 'fame' 
    tFB Trader
    fob said:
    Livin' On A Prayer
    if it is cheesy then it is good cheesy - IMO a good song
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 442
    That stupid bloody 'You've got to Fly' by Cast.
    tFB Trader
    2 songs I detest

Lady in Red - Chris De Burgh
    Tainted Love - Soft cell  - must be their version as I like Imelda May's version 

and from Frozen - Let it go could quite easily get into that list
    Years ago in Portugal, I met a guy who claimed to be the bass player in the Wombles - Easy enough claim to make as no one knows what they look like - So I quickly asked who the guitar player was and he quickly replied 'my mate Chris Spedding' - So I accepted his 'fame' 
    I was amazed when I read that Chris Spedding actually was the guitarist in the Wombles, I mean I knew he played on the records but why would they need to employ real musicians to wear the costumes?  Must have been some musicians union thing I guess.
  • Neill said:
    I was amazed when I read that Chris Spedding actually was the guitarist in the Wombles, I mean I knew he played on the records but why would they need to employ real musicians to wear the costumes?  Must have been some musicians union thing I guess.
    Some songs on TOTP were re-recorded versions so Mike Batt might have wanted him at hand for that? 
    The Wombles were great, just joyful music. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Neill said:
    Some songs on TOTP were re-recorded versions so Mike Batt might have wanted him at hand for that? 
    The Wombles were great, just joyful music. 
    I think you're right, at least in theory.

However, that musicians union rule about bands re-recording their songs to mime to was almost universally ignored in the end.  There are many anecdotes about how bands got around this, I think it was Elvis Costello who told the story about their manager taking the sound engineer to the pub while the band "recorded" their backing track which, of course, just involved them making a copy of the original studio recording. 

I never really understood what the point was anyway.  I thought the whole idea was to help session musicians who generally just got paid for the one recording.  But, with a few exceptions, by the 1970's most bands were playing their own instruments on the original recordings anyway, so I don't see how making the band re-record a song helped anyone.

Of course the worst scenarios were where it was a solo artist and they had to wheel out the TOTP orchestra who almost without exception made a hash of the whole thing.  The worst example I can think of was when Althea and Donna were at number one with "Uptown Top Ranking".  The orchestra manfully tried to replicate the original track the girls sang to (which I think was basically Sly and Robbie) and it was toe curling awful.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    The Althea and Donna one was spectacularly awful, and came at roughly the time that "light entertainment" was kicked into touch by TOTP. Round about that time we had to endure "One Day At A Time" by Lena Martel, which seemed to spend about a year at number one and was one of the best arguments for punk/new wave. 
  • Neill said:
    2nd Show 
    Little Arrows Leapy Lee
    Can Can Bad Manners 
    Yes it is - that's basically John Carter who is/was an absolute pop legend.  He was behind names such as The Ivy League and White Plains who recorded a number of classic pop songs in the 60's.

I'm not having "Amarillo" either - at least not by Tony Christie, the pride of Sheffield.
    My baby loves lovin is a great song 
    Neill said:
    2nd Show 
    Little Arrows Leapy Lee
    Can Can Bad Manners 

My baby loves lovin is a great song 
    I agree - and there's a lot more where that came from.  At the time a lot of us sneered at what we called "bubblegum" pop, but time has treated a lot of these old recordings kindly and a lot of stuff from that era stands up really well - certainly compared to what passes for pop music these days.  

I think what we didn't appreciate at the time that guys like John Carter, Roger Cook, Roger Greenaway, Tony McCauley, etc were really clever musicians who had learned their trade, and what we heard in 2-3 minutes was the end result of a lot of hard work.  it's just too easy for folk with no musical ability to produce a song these days. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Rowby1 said:
    Birdy Song. 

When I was dating the future MrsTheWeary we had a romantic weekend in Paris. We were in a candle lit restaurant and an accordion player came to the table, realised we were English and proceeded to play the Birdie Song. 

Been watching more of those TOTP 1990s episodes, Jive Bunny and the Master Mixers - bloody hell, who was buying those? 
    Also meant I’ve heard the Candy Flip version of Strawberry Fields Forever. FFS. 

Whilst I’m on - anything by Boney M. 

Cinderella Rockefella by Esther and Abi. I don’t hate it but much like Shaddupa Yer Face ( that kept Vienna by Ultravox off the number one slot!) it was a major hit that we seem to have made a collective decision to try to forget. 
    My parents bought one for me! I remember going to Chapel St. Market in Islington in the run up to Christmas & got it there. It was a staple for journeys in the car cassette player. I’m sure I still have the cassette in a cupboard somewhere.  =)
  • duotone said:
    Rowby1 said:
    Birdy Song. 

When I was dating the future MrsTheWeary we had a romantic weekend in Paris. We were in a candle lit restaurant and an accordion player came to the table, realised we were English and proceeded to play the Birdie Song. 

Been watching more of those TOTP 1990s episodes, Jive Bunny and the Master Mixers - bloody hell, who was buying those? 
    Also meant I’ve heard the Candy Flip version of Strawberry Fields Forever. FFS. 

Whilst I’m on - anything by Boney M. 

Cinderella Rockefella by Esther and Abi. I don’t hate it but much like Shaddupa Yer Face ( that kept Vienna by Ultravox off the number one slot!) it was a major hit that we seem to have made a collective decision to try to forget. 
    My parents bought one for me! I remember going to Chapel St. Market in Islington in the run up to Christmas & got it there. It was a staple for journeys in the car cassette player. I’m sure I still have the cassette in a cupboard somewhere.  =)
    These days you could call the NSPCC for that. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 442
    Oh Superman by Laurie Anderson
    Kissing with confidence by Will Powers
    Country House Blur
    Roll with it Oasis