Awful songs that somehow made it.

What's Hot

Comments

• russpm said:
    Oh Superman by Laurie Anderson
    Kissing with confidence by Will Powers
    Country House Blur
    Roll with it Oasis
    You could put any Oasis in there for me. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • russpm said:
    Oh Superman by Laurie Anderson
    Kissing with confidence by Will Powers
    Country House Blur
    Roll with it Oasis
    I bought Oh Superman as a single, I still quite like it although it’s not hard to see how it would annoy some people. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10227

Galway Girl by Ed Sheeran. 

Come to think of it, pretty much everything else by Ed Sheeran. 

But especially Galway Girl. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Free bird
    Free falling
    Passenger
    Sweet home alabama
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    duotone said:
    Rowby1 said:
    Birdy Song. 

When I was dating the future MrsTheWeary we had a romantic weekend in Paris. We were in a candle lit restaurant and an accordion player came to the table, realised we were English and proceeded to play the Birdie Song. 

Been watching more of those TOTP 1990s episodes, Jive Bunny and the Master Mixers - bloody hell, who was buying those? 
    Also meant I’ve heard the Candy Flip version of Strawberry Fields Forever. FFS. 

Whilst I’m on - anything by Boney M. 

Cinderella Rockefella by Esther and Abi. I don’t hate it but much like Shaddupa Yer Face ( that kept Vienna by Ultravox off the number one slot!) it was a major hit that we seem to have made a collective decision to try to forget. 
    My parents bought one for me! I remember going to Chapel St. Market in Islington in the run up to Christmas & got it there. It was a staple for journeys in the car cassette player. I’m sure I still have the cassette in a cupboard somewhere.  =)
    These days you could call the NSPCC for that. 
     =) 
    I had to find it for old times sake. Decent sounding drums on track 1!
    https://youtu.be/NoRc5vlf3mk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My mate played in First Class as part of the touring band, none of them were on the song or even met anyone who was part of it. 
    I know that Tony Burrows was the singer on their hit single Beach Baby. He was also the singer on Edison Lighthouse - Love Grows Where Rosemary Goes, Pipkins - Gimme Dat Ding, Brotherhood Of Man - United We Stand among others. There was an episode of Top Of The Pops in 1970 where he appeared with 3 different acts!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @Neill Your list saves me from having to write one. I can't believe you were the first person to mention Mull of Kintyre - that shit would be one of the first to be put up against the wall if I became music dictator. The only song I can think of that might best it in a drear-off would be "Sailing". 
  • Alright Now, and it keeps getting resurrected.   Why won't people let it die with dignity? 

DNR
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    I once owned a compilation album that contained a lot of the songs mentioned in this thread. However there are some that have been missed, such as:

All night holiday - russ abbott
    Funky moped - jasper carrott
    Snot rap - kenny everett
    Day Trip To Bangor (Didn't We Have A Lovely Time) - fiddlers dram
    Rat Rapping - Roland Rat
    Chalk Dust, The Umpire Strikes Back - The Brat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Bring up Russ Abbott reminded me of his song atmosphere 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    @Neill Your list saves me from having to write one. I can't believe you were the first person to mention Mull of Kintyre - that shit would be one of the first to be put up against the wall if I became music dictator. The only song I can think of that might best it in a drear-off would be "Sailing". 
    Yes do you remember the feeling of deep depression on Thursday night when TOTP announced that these songs were still at number one.   Nine times in the case of MOK.  Two million fellow humans bought that record, two million... It almost had me believing in David Icke's theories.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Neill said:

Yes do you remember the feeling of deep depression on Thursday night when TOTP announced that these songs were still at number one.   Nine times in the case of MOK.  Two million fellow humans bought that record, two million... It almost had me believing in David Icke's theories.
    I had to sing the fucking thing at a school Christmas concert when I was 10. It remains one of the most cringingly embarrassing experiences of my life and nearly permanently destroyed my love of music.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited February 2021
    Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up. 
    Pharrell Williams - Happy

• phil_b said:
    Bring up Russ Abbott reminded me of his song atmosphere 
    There's often humour to be had winding up Joy Division fans and "Manchester as centre of the universe" people by saying one or other is a cover version of the other. Arf.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ICBM said:
    Neill said:

I had to sing the fucking thing at a school Christmas concert when I was 10. It remains one of the most cringingly embarrassing experiences of my life and nearly permanently destroyed my love of music.
    You were lucky! 
    It was Joseph and his technicolor dream oat for me when that came out in early 70s. Any Dream will do and Calon Lan in a school Eisteddfod was my first public performance on guitar. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I can’t believe nobody’s mentioned any football team songs yet. Back Home, Blue is the Colour,  etc etc. They’re universally awful apart from World in Motion, which is brilliant.
  • boogieman said:
    I can’t believe nobody’s mentioned any football team songs yet. Back Home, Blue is the Colour,  etc etc. They’re universally awful apart from World in Motion, which is brilliant.
    Good point, as a rugby fan, all football songs are awful! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    boogieman said:
    Del Amitri - Don't Come Home Too Soon. Probably not exactly the sentiment the Scotland team wanted, but it at least reflected the correct level of expectation :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30825
    Whip My Hair
    Willo Smith.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    boogieman said:
    I think Three Lions is alright.  Working with proper musicians and minimising the input of actual footballers is usually a good idea.  Now I'm thinking of Suggs' Blue Day, which is dreadful.