Voting for Riff of the Month (RotM) #62

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Riff of the Month (RotM) #62. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 28th February 2021.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes.

You can find all the entries the playlist below.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/rotm62-2021-02

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    5pts @AndyJP - right up my street that one
    3pts @stratman3142  - nice riff as usual
    1pt @fretmeister - nice bass riff
  • 5pts - @stratman3142 Cool zz top vibe
    3 pts - @AndyJP - Nice funk tone! 
    1 pt - @fretmeister - Nice driving bass riff 

• 5pts @fretmeister - most riffish of the bunch
    3pts @AndyJP - love that funky style
    1pt @stratman3142 - nice riff to keep on soloing forever

yup, this was fun to do and to hear and totally different entries. What abundant variation at TF. Well, perhaps it's still my honeymoon period @ TF, but thus far I like it :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    @stratman3142 Remind of Eric Johnson’s style. Never a bad thing!
    @Springywheel Bloody love it. Love the lazy feel.
    @poopot Again love the lazy feel. Stonesey too.

Well done all. All brilliant and love the variety as said by @jeroenvanhulsteijn. Ask me a different day and I give you a different top 3. @fretmeister some bass riff! @jeroenvanhulsteijn love the vibe to that one, how did you record it?
  • AndyJP said:
    ...@jeroenvanhulsteijn love the vibe to that one, how did you record it?
    I have an old acoustic archtop (playability is a pain, but it can sound really nice sometimes) and used the laptop built in microphone to record directly into Audacity. I adjusted the volume a bit in Audacity. Didn't use any effects.
    This was my first attempt for making a blues riff some 25 years ago (I am an old bloke). I already learned to play the guitar at that time, but was playing classical music only. Then I got my first electric guitar. Over the years I discovered that classical music covers a lot of ground and is a good basis to get familiar with different chord positions, phrasings et cetera. I never encountered string bending in classical music though.
    So I have played the guitar for a long time, but sadly didn't get to play much the last 15 years. Live is keeping me busy. I guess I'm happy to play an hour every week. Recording this stuff really made me aware that I became really sloppy in my playing. So I find it great fun to do again and learn.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23968
    5 points to @jeroenvanhulsteijn ;
    3 points to @Springywheel ;
    1 point to @poopot ;

I'm seeing a pattern in my own tastes - riffs without anything on top appeal to me most I think. Like those bits in 80s thrash and old school funk where they could have started singing already but instead do a verse worth of riffing before the vox comes in, just letting the riff alone get into my head. I'm a simple man and I know what I like! 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited February 2021

I'm seeing a pattern in my own tastes - riffs without anything on top appeal to me most I think. Like those bits in 80s thrash and old school funk where they could have started singing already but instead do a verse worth of riffing before the vox comes in, just letting the riff alone get into my head. I'm a simple man and I know what I like! 
    I can relate - I’m a 35 year old man with kill-em-all still in regular rotation. Sometimes I just like a good caveman riff to hammer the point home  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited February 2021
    This is tricky. Some hard choices. Voting on the basis of riffiness I go with:

5 points : @fretmeister : Nasty dirty bass complemented by a punky ringy snare then solid guitars. Like a hard rock version of The Stranglers

3 points : @AndyJP : Really nice funky feel from the rhythm guitar, which is what I focused on.

1 point : @Springywheel : Mean dirgy grunge.

It's not a competition.
  • LogieLogie Frets: 440
    Just on what appeals to me :-

5 points @fretmeister ; Definitely my type of riff.

3 points @poopot ;

1 point @AndyJP ;

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    Lack of personal creative time leads to vicarious enjoyment ...

5 points :-: @stratman3142 ; -- riffy but with lovely embellishments and details, and grabbed me from the start

3 points :-: @fretmeister -- flashbacks to early Sisters of Mercy (but with a better drum sound), then flashbacks to some random metal album I bought in a secondhand shop

1 point :-: @jeroenvanhulsteijn -- something about the rawness just hooked me in

Honourable mentions to the others, though. Yet again @poopot ignores the concept of 'riff' and turns in a full composition - I would love to hear that as a full song. Ditto @AndyJP getting the funk on. And @Springywheel is a dirty, filthy, bad person in the best way.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23968
    I don't think I've ever listened to Sisters of Mercy!
    I've bought a lot of random metal just because I liked the album art though.
  • Voting ends tomorrow at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    I'd forgotten about these challenges until recently.  Excellent to see that they're still happening.  Quality seems to have moved on a notch or 3 since I remember submitting anything though! 

Scary good.  How long to people spend putting these together nowadays - all the instrument tracks, production/mixing, etc?

As always, how do you "judge" - just on the basis of what my ears like!  So, voting from the TT jury;

5points @stratman3142 - bouncy riff, well put together, quite easy to hear this being played on a radio show as a proper release.  Head & shoulders winner for me.

3points @poopot -  is it a riff or a semisolo?  Either way, I'm back in the 80s in a hotel restaurant with background music.  All very  polished.

1points @fretmeister - close run for the 2nd place, but the intro was just a bit overlong and I'd happily swap that for more bass riffing!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    edited February 2021
    TTony said:

3points @poopot -  is it a riff or a semisolo?  
    You know me Tony... I’m the “wanker who likes to widdle” over everything

TTony said:

Scary good.  How long to people spend putting these together nowadays - all the instrument tracks, production/mixing, etc?

We spend less time on this than we do setting up new email addresses for everyone involved that’s for sure ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:

... How long to people spend putting these together nowadays - all the instrument tracks, production/mixing, etc?

It varies. Sometimes inspiration does strike, then I leave it and come back to it over a few days. This one was quick.

The recoding and mixing is usually fairly quick, because I use a similar approach each time.

That's the beauty of a riff. Full compositions take me ages.

It's not a competition.
  • Voting ends tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    The recoding and mixing is usually fairly quick, because I use a similar approach each time.

That is/was probably my main issue (putting aside lack of musical ability!).  I used to contribute so infrequently, that I never established a standard approach.  Each time I'd be learning from almost-scratch.  The time it took then became an obstacle to doing it more frequently, and thus it taking less time.

Life's changes might allow me to put more time into these challenges though.  Be good to have a purpose to picking up a guitar!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Voting closed.

It's not a competition.