Gretsch - recommendations, ideas, thoughts, suggestions etc

What's Hot
merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
I've recently been getting really interested in Gretsch guitars, particularly (but not exclusively) double cutaway White Falcons. 

What are people's experiences, thoughts, reflections on these? There are several that really catch my eye but I'm wondering, having owned a fully hollow bodied ES-175 before and loved the "live" feeling, how they open up and can sit on the edge of full body feedback at the turn of your body.

I don't play with high gain, or hardly, and I have other guitars for that. 

Do folk recommend the centre block players versions? I'm liking the string through Bigsby idea and the slightly thinner body but I'm also really attracted to the bigger bodies of the full on Falcons. 

I'm really liking the G6636T idea but also loving the fatness of the White Falcon G6136T-LDS

What do y'all think....?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I bought a Limited Edition 5420 last year, absolutely love it and to be honest if I could only have one guitar it woul be a Gretsch. 

The hollow body feels alive like nothing else, the Blacktop Filtertrons are nice clean but love a bit of drive. It really is a gorgeous and versatile guitar.

I'd like to try a Pro series, mainly for the HS Filtertrons, would be nice to have a couple of different Gretsch guitars. One day I'll be on the lookout for an Anniversary.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    I don't like the cushion thing on the back
  • I’ve had most of them !  The white falcon is a big guitar , very open sounding and surprisingly versatile . Mine had the mud switch which I’m not a huge fan off usually but it seemed to work well with the Gretsch filtertrons.

I had a centre block model too and that felt a lot snappier , almost like a slightly twangier 335. Mine hand the fulltrons in iirc.

I think @Benm39 had it off me - how are you finding it Ben ?
    Are you going to play live with it if that is ever permitted again? 

I'd go fully hollow for home use personally, it's just more Gretschy! 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    Fuengi said:

Yes, when the time comes, I'll be out there playing live with it...
    merlin said:
    Fuengi said:

Yes, when the time comes, I'll be out there playing live with it...
    Some play perfectly fine live with fully hollow bodies, especially with low gain. 

@TheMarlin would have some useful advice. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    I love them, but the necks are the things that make me move them on.  If I had enough money, I'd keep them just for an occasional play and a visual treat.

I've been through Falcons, Chets, Hot Rods, Cochrans, Country Gents, Country Clubs, Jr Falcons, you name it.

I fancy giving one of the Setzer Smokes a try though, when budgets allow.
    Call me Dave.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 696
    edited February 2021
    @DrCornelius , yes that's right,  I had your lovely Broadkaster with the fulltron pickups in.  It's lovely! A twangier 335 is a good description I think.  It's the only Gretsch I've had so far so don't have a ready frame of reference to full fat hollowbodies like the White Falcon but I'm really enjoying this so far and think it's gonna be a keeper. Seems very versatile and just as happy playing heavy distorted stuff, twangy rockabilly n surf  stuff, or warmer rounded jazz tones (I've some flats on it currently). definitely has me interested in trying other Gretsches, both hollow and solid. 
  • I desperately thought I wanted a white falcon, until I played one.
    Love the look, adore the sound, never liked the necks.
    I played loads as well.
    The country gentlemen was the model I liked the most but I could never get past the feel of the necks.

Have you ever played one before @merlin ;
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited February 2021
    DB1 said:
    I love them, but the necks are the things that make me move them on.  If I had enough money, I'd keep them just for an occasional play and a visual treat.
    I desperately thought I wanted a white falcon, until I played one.
    Love the look, adore the sound, never liked the necks.
    I played loads as well.
    The country gentlemen was the model I liked the most but I could never get past the feel of the necks.

What about the necks don't you like?
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    merlin said:
    DB1 said:

Sorry, I wasn't very informative there, was I? The juxtaposition of neck and fretboard always feels a bit angular to me - not a gradual 'roll', if you like.

The best ones that I've had on that score are the two most recent ones - a '55 Vintage Select, and the sparkle green Hot Rod that you may have seen in the classifieds. I'm looking forward to trying one of the Setzer Smoke models, as I believe that they have more of a rolled edge to the fretboard.

Call me Dave.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Thanks @Fuengi ;
    Personally, the only centre block model i like is the Panther, but i think its been discontinued. 

I adore that big box airy sound you get from the hollow body models, and i’ve also been completely blown away by @dazzajl ‘s Gretsch 59 Duo Jet Vintage Select.  It’s a phenomenal guitar, utterly adore it. 

The Electromatic models are great, with the G5420T and Pro Jet standing out as the two best models (to me).  The standard Pro Jet is an epic little Gretsch. 

For the Pro Line, the Vintage Select models i’ve played are just stunning, it’s where i would spend my money. 

But, the absolute best advice i can give you is the worst advice (right now).  And its play as many as you can.  Many times I've gone to a store with the express notion to leave with a specific model i had decided i had to have, and left with something completely different. 

So many things affect the tone of a Gretsch, not just pickups and dimensions, but also bracing and construction.  The necks and finishes vary by model and range.  I guarantee that if you played 20 different models, you would want to buy a frw that you never would have considered before. 

Ive always loved a big box Gretsch (and the skinny Corvettes) models, but right now i’m gassing bad for a 53 Duo Jet Vintages Select.   Alas, currently have builders, electricians, and skips to for. 

Play as many as you can, and get the one that speaks to you most.  It may not be the one you expect ;)

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 897
    DB1 said:
    merlin said:
    DB1 said:

Sorry, I wasn't very informative there, was I? The juxtaposition of neck and fretboard always feels a bit angular to me - not a gradual 'roll', if you like.

The best ones that I've had on that score are the two most recent ones - a '55 Vintage Select, and the sparkle green Hot Rod that you may have seen in the classifieds. I'm looking forward to trying one of the Setzer Smoke models, as I believe that they have more of a rolled edge to the fretboard.

I had Dave’s ‘55 CE and I agree. I’ve never liked Gretsch necks especially but the ‘55 had a bit more meat and lovely rolled edges. If all the Vintage Select stuff is similar I’d look there.
  • merlin said:
    I've recently been getting really interested in Gretsch guitars, particularly (but not exclusively) double cutaway White Falcons. 

What are people's experiences, thoughts, reflections on these? There are several that really catch my eye but I'm wondering, having owned a fully hollow bodied ES-175 before and loved the "live" feeling, how they open up and can sit on the edge of full body feedback at the turn of your body.

I don't play with high gain, or hardly, and I have other guitars for that. 

Do folk recommend the centre block players versions? I'm liking the string through Bigsby idea and the slightly thinner body but I'm also really attracted to the bigger bodies of the full on Falcons. 

I'm really liking the G6636T idea but also loving the fatness of the White Falcon G6136T-LDS

What do y'all think....?
    I had one of the Player's Edition Jets last year, and can tell you it was a superbly built, brilliant sounding guitar that played beautifully. If I was gonna be playing live then I'd definitely recommend one of the Player's Double Cut Falcons with centre block to control the feedback a little. 

Another good shout from the Player's Edition might be the G6609 Broadkaster. Very similar to the centre-block Falcon double cuts, but has Full'Tron pickups instead of the High Sensitive Filter'Trons, so perhaps a little bit more versatile and gain-friendly: 

Gretsch G6609TFM Players Edition Broadkaster w/Bigsby - Bourbon Stain | Steven James Guitars & Amp Centre (northeastguitar.co.uk)

Admittedly, they don't look as cool as the Falcons, though there is a limited edition shell pink one that looks sweet (though would be even better if it had gold hardware IMO!)...

Gretsch Limited Edition G6609TDC-BTFT Broadkaster Centre Block Shell Pink (guitarguitar.co.uk) 
  • Good to hear you are going to play it out when that all becomes possible - just slinging a gretsch over your shoulder will make you stand differently and play differently - they are not like other guitars that you have played and that’s one of the main draws

I can offer views on the 6120 and the 6118 Anniversary Player Edition as I own both and (used to!) gig them both at every opportunity doing rock and roll, americana and “classic” rock stuff. 

The 6120 is un adulterated Gretsch… Poison Ivy, Eddie Cochrane, Brian Setzer show that it’s not simply one sound its very versatile… I think it’s my fave but it was a bit of an odyssey to sort the bridge and eventually get the bridge replaced and the base pinned but it was very much worth it to do it.  If I had to choose then it’s the one my heart would keep. 

The 6118 Anniversary is a really giggable guitar.  It’s still a deep hollow bodied guitar just not as deep as the 6120.  It is unmistakably gretsch sounding but almost “practical” with a Schiller strap locks, a bar bridge, string thru bigsby and locking tuners - the strings actually do get changed regularly. I use it a lot probably more than the 6120 as it’s less of a thoroughbred than the 6120 and so less temperamental - I can’t say I have had much bother with feedback.  It’s the head choice as it is a well sorted modern guitar.

The Centre Bloc models are really very good I have my mate’s Panther on a long loan at the moment - it is a very cool guitar.  It’s the most “rock” of the three I mentioned - it is very stable thanks to the Centre Block.  The Centre Block is a great but you just might not need it - the main contrast I experience is on the feel and resonance of the instrument.  It’s the slimmest and most “regular” feeling and sounding of the three.   Incredibly difficult to find a second hand one as they tend to be keepers.

For the G6636T and the Falcon I understand the scale length is longer than the three I have mentioned above - I think that's he big difference but would look to see who has played both for their wiz on the subject.

They all team up nicely with reverb and echo and boosts and they seem to like my DOD Overdrive Preamp 250, Full Tone mosfet and the OCD.  If you already have a Fender Amp you are off to a flying start.

There are often some great second hand options on Gretsches and in the last few years the Anniversaries do seem to come up brand new in the good guitar shops with a bit of a reduction.

Do expect to have to get used to the bridges and consider that you may end up looking at after market bridges (both mine have tru-arcs which I bought from “F-Holes” in the UK).  

Sorry this ended up as an essay it's just Gretsches are massively more interesting than the stuff I'm putting off writing about.

• DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3756
    edited February 2021
    Jim-Bob said:

The Centre Bloc models are really very good I have my mate’s Panther on a long loan at the moment - it is a very cool guitar.  It’s the most “rock” of the three I mentioned - it is very stable thanks to the Centre Block.  The Centre Block is a great but you just might not need it - the main contrast I experience is on the feel and resonance of the instrument.  It’s the slimmest and most “regular” feeling and sounding of the three.   Incredibly difficult to find a second hand one as they tend to be keepers.

For the G6636T and the Falcon I understand the scale length is longer than the three I have mentioned above - I think that's he big difference but would look to see who has played both for their wiz on the subject.

I believe the modern Player's Edition range all have the normal Gretsch 24.6" instead of the 25.5" of the vintage spec Falcon's. I guess a purist might argue that it's not really a 'proper' Falcon as a result, as the longer scale length was always one of the defining features of a Falcon. The same as someone might argue a Strat/Tele isn't a true Strat/Tele if it was shorter than 25.5". Wouldn't bother me at all, but some people are fussy about these things!
    Thanks for all your help everyone. Food for thought indeed.... 
    edited February 2021
    It's a minefield! 

Anyone got anything gorgeous, Gretsch, white and sexy for sale???
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 696
    Sorry @merlin but my baby is staying put though I wish you happy hunting for yours
    merlin said:
    It's a minefield! 

Anyone got anything gorgeous, Gretsch, white and sexy for sale???
    Just out of interest, what's your budget?