Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA Repair Shop, BBC1

What's Hot

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I like the repair shop and what the guys do

Of course it's full of TV bollocks what do you expect it's on primetime and the BBC, virtually all TV programs now have to be reality in some way or another, it's cheap tv
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • There was an episode a while ago where they repaired a vintage jazz bass that belonged to the bass player from Hot Chocolate. They fitted new parts to it and put a new decal on it.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Repair Shop is not about repairing things, that show would be at midnight on Tuesday on BBC4. It is about the human stories, people find it relatable because so many of us will have or will have had those odd old objects that link us to family and friends.     
    It is convoluted  but the majority of people watching it will be TV literate enough to understand that and understand that's how these shows work. For example, I like Mock the Week and that is presented as spontaneous wit whereas we know really that it isn't but I don't want to watch 30 minutes of comedians going umm err so I'll accept the artifice so I get the funny.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • The Repair Shop is not about repairing things, that show would be at midnight on Tuesday on BBC4.

It is convoluted  but the majority of people watching it will be TV literate enough to understand that and understand that's how these shows work. 

Indeed. However, I still can't bear it. :angry: 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2629
    edited February 2021
    virtually all TV programs now have to be reality

It's weird the way some words come to mean the opposite of what they originally meant. In this case "reality".

I like the idea of it - one of my favourite YouTube channels is Ted Woodford - but the when I've seen programmes after being tempted by the promise of seeing a nice old guitar being restored, it's just too cloying and manipulative and shallow. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    the guy loosened the glue in (half) the neck joint with a pipette of warm water. That there is golden tv for guitar geeks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Neck end down in the incinerator, then lid on would have been quicker.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    There was an episode a while ago where they repaired a vintage jazz bass that belonged to the bass player from Hot Chocolate. They fitted new parts to it and put a new decal on it.
    didn't that guy plane off half the neck
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    bbill335 said:
    There was an episode a while ago where they repaired a vintage jazz bass that belonged to the bass player from Hot Chocolate. They fitted new parts to it and put a new decal on it.
    didn't that guy plane off half the neck
    You could ask him yourself:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/155351/bbc-the-repair-shop-restoration-of-a-mid-60s-fender-jazz/p1
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    Repair Shop - I f*cking hate it.

Can’t stand the TV fakery - “Oooh, look who’s just randomly turned up with a knackered clock - and by some strange coincidence, we appear to have a visiting horologist in the house”. Also can’t bear cockney geezer Jay Blades or Bill Patterson’s plummy voice-overs.

it’s like the televisual equivalent of Simon Bates’s “Our Tune” back in the ‘80’s.

You're absolutely right.  But I still don't dislike the programme.  I don't go out of may way to watch it, but if it just happens to come on... it's comfortable, undemanding viewing.

I used to be able to do a pretty good impression of Simon Bates.  Not his voice as such, but I heard that show so many times I could tell any story in the style of "Our Tune".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916

Yes - that one wrecked the bass.

I thought this Hofner one was really good, though.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    p90fool said:
    We tend to entertain ourselves by inventing "real" back stories, like the two generations of scallys who turn up on their social sticks with a crappy twocked Hofner, to get it tarted up for free so Cash Converters will accept it. 
    That is so harsh but very funny.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited February 2021
    Sarge said:
    Repair Shop - I f*cking hate it.

Can’t stand the TV fakery - “Oooh, look who’s just randomly turned up with a knackered clock - and by some strange coincidence, we appear to have a visiting horologist in the house”. Also can’t bear cockney geezer Jay Blades or Bill Patterson’s plummy voice-overs.

it’s like the televisual equivalent of Simon Bates’s “Our Tune” back in the ‘80’s.
    This, 100%
    What a pair of miserable old buggers!  I actually like the show.   :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The Repair Shop is not about repairing things, that show would be at midnight on Tuesday on BBC4. It is about the human stories, people find it relatable because so many of us will have or will have had those odd old objects that link us to family and friends.     
    It is convoluted  but the majority of people watching it will be TV literate enough to understand that and understand that's how these shows work. For example, I like Mock the Week and that is presented as spontaneous wit whereas we know really that it isn't but I don't want to watch 30 minutes of comedians going umm err so I'll accept the artifice so I get the funny.   
    This nails it.

Far more of the TV audience are social types who are interested in what other people think and do than geeky types (like this forum) who would be solely interested in the technical aspects.

Most TV is just an excuse to have human interest stories and, since reality TV came along, there doesn't have to be much of a premise anymore.

I don't see the Repair Shop as harshly as some of you but one thing I do find weird is that the people care so much about the item being the specific thing their grandpa or whoever used but often a lot of it is replaced with new materials as part of the repair so they're kind of kidding themselves in a way.

• I have two Mont Blanc fountain pens from the thirties. They belonged to my Grandfather and Great Uncle, and neither work anymore (they need repairs to the barrels, nibs, plungers etc). Mont Blanc won't touch them, as they are "too old".

My Great Uncle was killed in the war when his house was bombed. His badly burned body was taken (along with others) to the local swimming baths, where my Grandfather identified him by the fountain pen in his suit pocket.

Reckon I could get onto The Repair Shop with that story. But - I am not going to be able to burst into tears nor suck up to Jay Blades on cue. Plus, Mrs 001 hates the show, and would probably divorce me if I appeared on it.

Hmmmmm....
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Reckon I could get onto The Repair Shop with that story.
    I’ve often thought about concocting a highly-plausible heart-wrenching back story (complete with faked documentation) attached to some crappy old guitar, just to see if they’d bite.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I was actually interested in reading about how someone fixed up a hofner. 

Oh well, looks like somebody else fixed it. He obviously was an actor. The guy clearly bought the guitar from a pawn shop. Andrew Lloyd webber wrote his back story, more fake news to brighten everyone's day up. I'll tell my gran it's a load of bullocks and she shouldn't be so stupid to watch it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31569
    Rich210 said:
    I was actually interested in reading about how someone fixed up a hofner. 

Oh well, looks like somebody else fixed it. He obviously was an actor. The guy clearly bought the guitar from a pawn shop. Andrew Lloyd webber wrote his back story, more fake news to brighten everyone's day up. I'll tell my gran it's a load of bullocks and she shouldn't be so stupid to watch it. 
    I know you're joking, but I did actually think if the punters had had to pay for that level of work it would definitely have been cheaper to just go and get another Hofner! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    What I'm not joking. Like you all say you can't believe anything made by the BBC. 

Now you're onto something though. He could of just found a minty and got the pledge out. That makes more sense to me. I mean who can be arsed to work on hofners anyway in the real world. Even the best don't touch them
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    edited February 2021
    Sarge said:
    Also every item has a charming history of love, memories of grandpa and the kids playing shove ha'penny, tiffin and how much it would mean to him if he was still alive.
    Nauseating. 
    I’m with you guys on this.

I love the work the guys do - they are excellent. ...it’s the bullshit human factor I hate. Which we HAVE to endure on so many tv shows these days.

...so and so artifact meant so much to xyz, that they never bothered to ever look at getting it fixed or restored for 20-30-40 years, covered in dust and crap in the back of the shed until the offer of some free expert help turns up with 5 minutes on the telly included.

A lot of the stuff that turn up is junk worth many times less than the work and expertise would cost to fix it up. 

Those guys must roll their eyes at some of the crap they are asked to work on - being paid well by the Beeb obviously helps overcome that I would hope!

It’s not free by the way. They are expected to give a donation. It’ll be frowned upon if they didn’t I reckon or not shown on TV probably. 15 minutes of fame is a powerful enticement though I can understand that   

I have to say I love the program and set myself a reminder / alarm to watch it. Sometimes some stories make me well up too and I don’t do that often as I can smell bullshit when I come across it. There are some real heartfelt human qualities witnessed when I watch it on some episodes. I think we need more of that type of programme on TV and also in real life experiences 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/