Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA Repair Shop, BBC1

What's Hot

Comments

• I liked it when it was on in the afternoons. I think the move to prime time has stripped the charm somewhat. It's also attracted more made up back stories to allow more people to get on telly per item. (Nans bringing their whole family to pick up a Teddy).

Sadly I tend to take broken things apart and lose the bits etc. so I don't currently have any BER shite I could take on there.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I like seeing some of the ways they do things and also old stuff being fixed up; it warms the cockroaches of my heart!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3608
    Not a fan TBH.

"Reality" TV shows are all faked. For all we know the people who bring the stuff in may all be actors.

I've been involved in a few antique reality shows and they were all set up and scripted. 

At the end of the day it's just very cheap TV to fill the schedules.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Reckon I could get onto The Repair Shop with that story.
    I’ve often thought about concocting a highly-plausible heart-wrenching back story (complete with faked documentation) attached to some crappy old guitar, just to see if they’d bite.
    100% - they would love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Reckon I could get onto The Repair Shop with that story.
    I’ve often thought about concocting a highly-plausible heart-wrenching back story (complete with faked documentation) attached to some crappy old guitar, just to see if they’d bite.
    Do it. If it really means that much to you to spend the time faking it. I'll still watch it and enjoy seeing how they tackle the repair ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445

Reckon I could get onto The Repair Shop with that story.
    Do it. If it really means that much to you to spend the time faking it. I'll still watch it and enjoy seeing how they tackle the repair ;)

What about one of those 80's hybrid plastic things full of weird electronics? That could be quite funny seeing how they woudl tackle that.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Rich210 said:
    What I'm not joking. Like you all say you can't believe anything made by the BBC. 

Now you're onto something though. He could of just found a minty and got the pledge out. That makes more sense to me. I mean who can be arsed to work on hofners anyway in the real world. Even the best don't touch them
    The guy who fixes the guitars is a member of this forum.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    thegummy said:
    Rich210 said:
    What I'm not joking. Like you all say you can't believe anything made by the BBC. 

Now you're onto something though. He could of just found a minty and got the pledge out. That makes more sense to me. I mean who can be arsed to work on hofners anyway in the real world. Even the best don't touch them

Which one?

They have had two.  The guy from Flame Guitars is a member here, although he was last active in March 2020.  Some people were quite abusive about him shaving the neck on the Jazz bass.  It wasn't shown on the TV, but he did say in the thread on here that there was damage, and he had to do it else you could get splinters from it.  Whether that was right or wrong, the way some people on here reacted was totally over the top.  A lot of good people have got fed up and stopped posting because of that element on here.

The one this week was someone different though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited February 2021
    crunchman said:
    thegummy said:
    Rich210 said:

Which one?

They have had two.  The guy from Flame Guitars is a member here, although he was last active in March 2020.  Some people were quite abusive about him shaving the neck on the Jazz bass.  It wasn't shown on the TV, but he did say in the thread on here that there was damage, and he had to do it else you could get splinters from it.  Whether that was right or wrong, the way some people on here reacted was totally over the top.  A lot of good people have got fed up and stopped posting because of that element on here.

Everyone’s a critic it seems nowadays.  

The younger generation seems to take joy out of destroying people. You should hear my two sons attack people on TV when they have absolutely no life experience, compassion or knowledge on the subject. Just spout shite from their mates social media pages 

Sometimes I question if they ever came from me   
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    crunchman said:
    thegummy said:
    Rich210 said:

Which one?

Ah I thought it was the same guy who did that bass.

It's really a shame that some people are so disrespectful to others over the internet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    thegummy said:
    crunchman said:
    thegummy said:
    Rich210 said:

Which one?

Ah I thought it was the same guy who did that bass.

It's really a shame that some people are so disrespectful to others over the internet.
    In all honesty I love the repairshop and think it's great when instruments get fixed up. I read the thread and saw it got trolly so I just did a parody of it. I woke up this morning and thought wtf, how can a nice thread turn into into shit storm? I just made fun of that
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    It amuses me that some of the people on the show could clearly afford to have things repaired professionally - and pay.
    The gold ring with the diamonds and the big sapphire was not owned by paupers.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlw said:
    It amuses me that some of the people on the show could clearly afford to have things repaired professionally - and pay.
    How do you know they aren’t hard up? How does anyone know anything about anyone’s true financial situation? They inherited that ring 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    This is the sort of thread that inevitably gets trolled with negative comments. Glad you’ve got it off your chest. I’m not a fan of Jay Blades and when owners arrive to collect the restored item and get emotional I usually check to see if anything new has been posted on here BUT seeing very skilled craftsmen/women at work makes viewing more than worthwhile. The young guy who deals with joinery and furniture is a pleasure to watch, as are most of the others with their individual skills. And just for the record, Julyan is the real deal with at least 20 years experience of guitar repairs and setups at his Penzance workshop. A lovely guy too FWIW.

How about this thread concentrates on the skills of the restorers and leaves grumbles about the presentation as something that might interest your dog/cat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66 said:
    This is the sort of thread that inevitably gets trolled with negative comments. Glad you’ve got it off your chest. I’m not a fan of Jay Blades and when owners arrive to collect the restored item and get emotional I usually check to see if anything new has been posted on here BUT seeing very skilled craftsmen/women at work makes viewing more than worthwhile. The young guy who deals with joinery and furniture is a pleasure to watch, as are most of the others with their individual skills. And just for the record, Julyan is the real deal with at least 20 years experience of guitar repairs and setups at his Penzance workshop. A lovely guy too FWIW.

How about this thread concentrates on the skills of the restorers and leaves grumbles about the presentation as something that might interest your dog/cat.
    You’ve earned yourself a WIZDOM my friend  :)
  • I have just watched the show and found it interesting. The guy doing the repair makes it look easy enough to want to have a go yourself, but obviously if I had a go it would end in tears (not the sort the show makers would want).

I'm also a fan of vintage radio and associated stuff and I know from other forums sometimes the repairs, or at least how they are edited and portrayed, isn't always 100%. I think it's fantastic that another vintage instrument lives again.
  • rlw said:
    I may come as a surprise, but just because people have plummy accents, it doesn't mean they're loaded. Usually the opposite in fact.

As for the rest of you cynics in this thread: you're all dead inside. :grin: 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Fuck me backwards.  When I started this thread, I thought some of the people on a guitar forum might be interested to see an old guitar restored.

Silly me.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31475
    Jimbro66 said:

I do of agree with you, but as the show refuses to concentrate on the skills of the restorers it's kind of moot, so it's hardly trolling. 

The reason it's an annoying programme is because the time spent on the restoration work is dwarfed by the "reality" bullshit, though even having said that, I have seen some genuinely moving stories on there. 

If you're someone who's interested in actual repairs though, the Repair Shop is endlessly frustrating. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    So how much that repair have cost if one of us took it to a luthier?