Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA Repair Shop, BBC1

What's Hot

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    edited February 2021
    Nitefly said:
    Fuck me backwards.  When I started this thread, I thought some of the people on a guitar forum might be interested to see an old guitar restored.

Silly me.

That'll teach you! :-) 

OK, so I watched it last night and enjoyed seeing the craftspeeps doing their work and explaining it to the camera. The backstories are just irrelevant background noise for me, but I don't feel entitled enough to complain about it. I also don't care if they can afford to get their own stuff fixed or not. I don't even care if they do or don't make a contribution to the cost afterwards - it's just a TV programme and those costs are part of making it. It's still cheap TV compared to other programming and often more entertaining and informative. 

I think I'd enjoy it more if they spent more time on the processes and crafts and less on the people who own the stuff.

Thanks for highlighting it to the rest of us. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Nitefly said:
    Fuck me backwards.  When I started this thread, I thought some of the people on a guitar forum might be interested to see an old guitar restored.

Silly me.

OK, so I watched it last night and enjoyed seeing the craftspeeps doing their work and explaining it to the camera. The backstories are just irrelevant background noise for me, but I don't feel entitled enough to complain about it. I also don't care if they can afford to get their own stuff fixed or not. I don't even care if they do or don't make a contribution to the cost afterwards - it's just a TV programme and those costs are part of making it. It's still cheap TV compared to other programming and often more entertaining and informative. 

I think I'd enjoy it more if they spent more time on the processes and crafts and less on the people who own the stuff.

Well, I think some of the people were...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    edited February 2021
    Not unusual for the necks to come loose so I'm not surprised it didn't take any steaming.

I wouldn't have screwed it back on, but it doesnt hurt since it has a failed repair and existing plug holes.

I actually have a scrap neck with headplate that would have matched that nicely.

The important bit is it'd a nice old hofner that's playing well again

Pickguard looks naff though 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Nitefly said:

Silly me.

Plenty of us were :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nitefly said:

Silly me.

I was surprised to read on here about the people making contributions - as far as I was aware it's standard practice in TV production to cover costs like that cause, as you point out, it's still a really cheap way to make TV.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    thegummy said:
    Nitefly said:

Silly me.

Plenty of us were :) 
    Aye, that's true @thegummy , I was just a bit taken aback by some of the reactions  :)  No matter, it'll all be reet one day...

• rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    rlw said:
    It amuses me that some of the people on the show could clearly afford to have things repaired professionally - and pay.
    The gold ring with the diamonds and the big sapphire was not owned by paupers.
    How do you know they aren’t hard up? How does anyone know anything about anyone’s true financial situation? They inherited that ring 
    Their dress, their attitude, their accents and the way they spoke said Posh, with a capital P.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    sorefinga said:
    rlw said:
    It amuses me that some of the people on the show could clearly afford to have things repaired professionally - and pay.
    I may come as a surprise, but just because people have plummy accents, it doesn't mean they're loaded. Usually the opposite in fact.

As for the rest of you cynics in this thread: you're all dead inside. :grin: 

Plummy accents, expensive clothes, expensive hair.  No-one got rich by giving away money they didn't need to.
    rlw said:
    rlw said:
    How do you know they aren’t hard up? How does anyone know anything about anyone’s true financial situation? They inherited that ring 
    Their dress, their attitude, their accents and the way they spoke said Posh, with a capital P.

They could well have fallen on hard times, they might not be well off, they might've got their Sunday Best on to go on TV.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

And they have a gravel driveway. Total giveaway :)
    prowla said:
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

They could well have fallen on hard times, they might not be well off, they might've got their Sunday Best on to go on TV.

And they might have got there on their unicorn.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    Nitefly said:
    He's managed to get the neck off, and is now removing the frets.  Luthier is a chap called Julyan Wallis.

Managing to get the neck off a Hofner is usually not a great feat of engineering......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    jpfamps said:
    Nitefly said:
    He's managed to get the neck off, and is now removing the frets.  Luthier is a chap called Julyan Wallis.

Managing to get the neck off a Hofner is usually not a great feat of engineering......
    Thats not fair, you have to perfect the right kind of funny look.   The one where the neck falls off, but the body doesn't come apart at the seams
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

I don't think the repair shop has any element of charity where it's meant to be helping people who can't afford to get it done elsewhere, is there?

I'd have thought they just try to get interesting items or back stories.

So it's irrelevant whether the toff customers have fallen on hard times or are just living normal times.

Incidentally, I tend to find when rich people talk about a rough patch or being skint, they really don't mean the same kind of skint as people from council estates.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    prowla said:
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

I don't think the repair shop has any element of charity where it's meant to be helping people who can't afford to get it done elsewhere, is there?

I'd have thought they just try to get interesting items or back stories.

So it's irrelevant whether the toff customers have fallen on hard times or are just living normal times.

Incidentally, I tend to find when rich people talk about a rough patch or being skint, they really don't mean the same kind of skint as people from council estates.

Well, they do pick things of interest; I suppose it'd be pretty crap if they were just fixing jewellery from Ratners and plastic toys bought from the Toys'R'Us closing down sale, or whatever; the things do need to be old/antique and need some craftsmanship and skills to work on.

Yes, when I mentioned "hard times" it was slightly tongue-in-cheek (of course!)...

I still like to see old things being restored, whether it's this show, Drew Pritchard openly doing it for a profit, Wheeler Dealers or Car SOS fixing a wreck of a car; the bottom line is that something which had been set aside awaiting that whimsical day (which will never arrive) to be repaired does get brought back to its former glory.

The other aspect is the idea that things can be repaired rather than simply thrown away and some of the dying skills are being showcased.

All-in-all, I've never much noticed or thought about the background of the people on the show; I don't think the chap who brought in his dad's Jazz bass was a toff and I don't care whether the person with a ruby necklace was or not.

Me, I have 3 guitars which mean something to me: one my dad helped me get in the 70s, another I bought with the money my grandad left me in the 80s, and another I bought with the money my stepmother left me; it is entirely possible that the back-stories are genuine, even though the TV show may have stylised their presentation.
  • I like watching stuff being fixed. Makes it 200% better than most tv programs.
    it also gives you some inspiration for giving it a go yourself...potentially
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    For fixing up of old/broken guitars this guy is pretty good:

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited February 2021

I have two Mont Blanc fountain pens from the thirties. They belonged to my Grandfather and Great Uncle, and neither work anymore (they need repairs to the barrels, nibs, plungers etc). Mont Blanc won't touch them, as they are "too old".

My Great Uncle was killed in the war when his house was bombed. His badly burned body was taken (along with others) to the local swimming baths, where my Grandfather identified him by the fountain pen in his suit pocket.

Reckon I could get onto The Repair Shop with that story. But - I am not going to be able to burst into tears nor suck up to Jay Blades on cue. Plus, Mrs 001 hates the show, and would probably divorce me if I appeared on it.

Hmmmmm....
    @SPECTRUM001 you should definitely go on the show. Then you’d get close enough to Jay Blades to give the smug talentless twat the almighty kick in the bollocks that he so richly deserves. 

I like the show. I try to ignore the back stories, most of them are just embroidered nonsense anyway, but I like the genuine craftsmanship from the experts. Steve and Dom FTW. 

Oh and for what it’s worth, I had a guitar worked on by David from Flame Guitars last year. He’s a very good luthier, who builds his own range of guitars from scratch as well as more regular work like set ups etc. If he shaved the neck on that Hot Chocolate bass then it obviously needed it. I doubt he’d do it for fun. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I’ll just unstar this thread  :( 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • boogieman said:
    Oh and for what it’s worth, I had a guitar worked on by David from Flame Guitars last year. He’s a very good luthier, who builds his own range of guitars from scratch as well as more regular work like set ups etc. If he shaved the neck on that Hot Chocolate bass then it obviously needed it. I doubt he’d do it for fun. 
    I’ve thought about that repair a lot - in particular what other options might have been available.

Other than making a replacement neck, I’m not sure there were any - but I certainly wouldn’t be keen on having the neck shaved on a vintage instrument.