Bugera PS1: Can it be used as a dummy load with no cab???

Hey guys 

I need a really cheap ‘dummy load only’

Can the Bugera PS1 be used as a dummy load with no cab attached? Online description is unclear. Some people saying yes and some say no 

Many thanks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    I have the Harley Benton PA-100 which I use with a Triple Rectifier. I used it just as a dummy load and had no issues.
  • Stevepage said:
    I have the Harley Benton PA-100 which I use with a Triple Rectifier. I used it just as a dummy load and had no issues.
    I read that about the HB but there’s none available for months but it’s not 100A% clear if the Bugera can do the same 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    Yes, any attenuator can be if you turn it down to the minimum output setting.

I would be wary about the 100W rating though - if that's 100W of electrical power rather than a 100W amp, it's not really suitable for anything above a 50-60W amp when used as a load.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

I would be wary about the 100W rating though - if that's 100W of electrical power rather than a 100W amp, it's not really suitable for anything above a 50-60W amp when used as a load.
    Awesome I’ll grab one then :)It’s for a 50 watt power amp so should be ok then 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ICBM said:

Id still be wary about running the amp on full for an extended period
  • John_A said:
    ICBM said:

Will be ok as the amp will be on zero volume. I’ve  got a stereo power amp but I’m only using one channel now so just need a cheap dummy load to keep it happy 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    ICBM said:

Will be ok as the amp will be on zero volume. I’ve  got a stereo power amp but I’m only using one channel now so just need a cheap dummy load to keep it happy 
    That'll be fine then :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    Fortheloveofguitar said:

If it's definitely going to be on zero volume, you don't even need a load - just get a spare jack plug and connect the tip to the sleeve, so it shorts the output. Completely safe for the amp when there's no signal - in fact some valve amps (eg most Fenders) have switches in the speaker jacks to do exactly that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein