Dm7/G chord

What's Hot
Advice/suggestions please. I'm trying the chords of Parisienne Walkways. Some lovely chords in it. I'm having trouble playing the Dm7/G. The little chord box diagram suggests 3x0211....bit of a stretch for my short pinkie! Also I don't much like the books voicing of Bm7-5 which suggests x2x231. Thank you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• look here..

granted it's not gospel but given the chords are arpeggios I wouldn't worry about the G in the bass..

It does, however, illustrate there's no easy way out of the Bm7-5 fingering..

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• you could also consider barre chords..

7x776x for the Bm7-5 chord... I seem to recall playing arpeggio barre chords for all the chords when I learnt it.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2428
    Advice/suggestions please. I'm trying the chords of Parisienne Walkways. Some lovely chords in it. I'm having trouble playing the Dm7/G. The little chord box diagram suggests 3x0211....bit of a stretch for my short pinkie! Also I don't much like the books voicing of Bm7-5 which suggests x2x231. Thank you

Why does your pinkie come into play? I would form the chord fretting the first two strings at the first fret using my index finger, the third string fretted at the second fret with my middle finger, fourth string open and my ring finger fretting the sixth string at the third fret whilst also muting the fifth string. The pinkie is left floating (or could mute the fifth string if preferred).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66 said:

Why does your pinkie come into play? I would form the chord fretting the first two strings at the first fret using my index finger, the third string fretted at the second fret with my middle finger, fourth string open and my ring finger fretting the sixth string at the third fret whilst also muting the fifth string. The pinkie is left floating (or could mute the fifth string if preferred).
    Just tried with the ring finger and it works a treat.....dunno why I was attempting with pinkie! You have probably already realized that I am at the lower end of guitar playing proficiency.  Thank you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2428
    edited February 2021
    Jimbro66 said:

Just tried with the ring finger and it works a treat.....dunno why I was attempting with pinkie! You have probably already realized that I am at the lower end of guitar playing proficiency.  Thank you.

Glad to help. As regards that slightly awkward voicing of Bm7-5, I used to play Parisienne Walkways in a covers band way back in the '80s so it's a bit of a distant memory but just quickly running through it mentally reminded me that I played that chord with 6th string muted, 5th string 2nd fret, 4th string 3rd fret, 3rd string 2nd fret, 2nd string third fret. That's formed with the index and middle fingers on the 2nd fret notes and the ring and pinkie on the 3rd fret notes. That's quite a comfortable voicing. Then the 1st string can be muted or, if you want to play an arpeggio, you can move your index finger between 5th string 2nd fret and 1st string first fret while holding the rest of the chord. Much easier than it sounds in writing!

We were all at that lower end at one time so just keep at it
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    He uses the same in Still Git the blues, and the G bass is quite important in the progression

play the top 3 strings as if a F major chord with the first 2 strings partials barre.  
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited February 2021
    look here..

granted it's not gospel but given the chords are arpeggios I wouldn't worry about the G in the bass..

I just do 7 8 9 10 10 x
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    viz said:

I just do 7 8 9 10 10 x
    That's beautiful! I know a few m7b5 voicings, but that one never occurred to me. Can also use it as a G9, of course...
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Does Dm with a B in the bass not work, pretty sure that's all I ever played ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited February 2021
    smigeon said:
    viz said:

I just do 7 8 9 10 10 x
    That's beautiful! I know a few m7b5 voicings, but that one never occurred to me. Can also use it as a G9, of course...

It’s the easiest way out of any 251 in a minor key

the other nice one is 78778x, which is good because it has an equivalent A string version - x23233. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.