SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD FS 1980 Olympic White Tokai ST80 Springy Sound with Rosewood fingerboard

What's Hot
ivanscivansc Frets: 9
edited February 2021 in Guitars £
I bought this new in 1980 & it has earned its keep. Because it was bought in 1980 it has some biggish scrape marks on the lower horn due to the misplacing of a staple in all the U.K. cases from that era.  100% original apart from a partial re-fret a year or so back.
I put a new rear bridge plate on with a slot instead of the original six string holes, but I still have the original & will include it.  As far as I know there are zero faults apart from the usual playing wear  & it plays and sounds wonderful.

I am looking for at least 650 pounds for it including the case.  I will post some photos  when I figure out how.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Looking forward to seeing the photos , I bet it looks awesome 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Pm
  • I am amazed - I have already received more than a dozen emails on this!  I will sort out some pictures as best I can, but I am beginning to think I should be asking a little more than the £650 I guessed at. This was what I turned down several years ago & it seemed like a fair start. I would really appreciate some thoughts on what WOULD be a fair price. Sorry to mess you all around, but I haven`t bought or sold a guitar in a long time, apart from getting my lowly-but-loved Gretsch g5120 in 2016.
  • I saw a sunburst/maple from 1979 go for £500 not long ago. Spaghetti logo etc. Pickups had been changed to Seymour Duncans. Best Strat I've played in a long time.
  • Not really in the same league as mine, Rick.  can anyone tell me how to get photos into posts on here?

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited February 2021
    ivansc said: I am beginning to think I should be asking a little more than the £650 I guessed at. This was what I turned down several years ago & it seemed like a fair start. l would really appreciate some thoughts on what WOULD be a fair price.
    I sold my ST55 - ice blue metallic, maple board, excellent condition and refretted, with gigbag - on here just over a year ago for £400. It took quite a while to sell at that price too. It’s difficult to comment further on yours because we can’t see the condition including the ‘playing wear’ and ‘biggish scrape marks’ as THERE’S NO PICS! 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • (grin) Just discovered that I opened an imgur account in 2015 but never got the email address verified... hopefully I will get this sorted today & do some photos asap. Sorry, but I really am that old and dumb. Turned 76 years old last June.
  • Read the faq
  • ivansc said:
    Not really in the same league as mine, Rick.  can anyone tell me how to get photos into posts on here?

Use an image hosting site such as imgur or photobucket. I don't know what league yours is in, but the one I know is a belter.
  • Thanks for the tips, folks. Just re-opened the imgur account with my current email address, so photos asap. Rick: It`s an ST80 dont forget.  Big difference.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I’ll put it right out there, I’ve been looking for something like this for ages, dropped you a message last night and I definitely won’t stick it up on eBay for a grand a week later.....

• There are some crazy prices on eBay, for sure.
  • RickLucas said:
    I saw a sunburst/maple from 1979 go for £500 not long ago. Spaghetti logo etc. Pickups had been changed to Seymour Duncans. Best Strat I've played in a long time.
    ivansc said:
    Not really in the same league as mine, Rick. 
    I’m curious why you’d think that an older one with upgraded pickups is not in the same league as yours?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ivanscivansc Frets: 9
    edited February 2021
    Mine is all original & one owner from new.   Anyway, it looks like the first responder will be at my house in 30 minutes, so I am holding fire till he has had a chance to play it. @ Andy79 you are second in line if he decides not to buy it. Thanks.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    edited February 2021
    This is fucking exciting: sounds like a Wacky Races stylee lockdown-busting stampede to @ivansc 's place!  On a sunny morning I've half a mind to fire up the convertible and join in the fun!

GLWTS!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well if he doesnt buy the guitar, I have half a mind to stick it on reverb at a silly price & see what happens. That is truly amazing! I had no idea.  But ST80,100 & 120 are apparently pretty rare these days. Wish I had bought all six that were in the shop when I bought mine.  Also the two Hard Puncher basses!!  Bought it when I worked for Cambridge Rock which became part of Digital Village/Guitar Village in Cambridge.  It was the pick of the litter, but they were all better than most of the new Fenders I tried at the time.
  • Keiko said:
    Interestingly, none of those are in the UK
  • Well the lod lady now has a happy new owner, who lives close to me. Also the first email I got.  Now I have to figuer out how to change the title to say "sold".   Thank you to everyone who wrote showing interest in the guitar.
  • RickLucas said:
    I saw a sunburst/maple from 1979 go for £500 not long ago. Spaghetti logo etc. Pickups had been changed to Seymour Duncans. Best Strat I've played in a long time.
    ivansc said:
    Not really in the same league as mine, Rick. 
    I’m curious why you’d think that an older one with upgraded pickups is not in the same league as yours?
    I agree with you. A guitar in original form is worth more than one with "upgrades".

If the pickups in these were crap then maybe there is an argument to be had but, these came with either E or U stamped pups which are decent.

Just look back at the real vintage market and you will know that an all original guitar is worth way more than one that has been tinkered with.

GLWTS :+1: