Does Amp fx out to interface work?

If I want to record my 5150 without mic’g the cab - 
Does fx loop send into the interface into the DAW provide a Line level that works?
What’s the difference between PreAmp Out and FX Send?
Then I assume I can run that signal through an IR in the DAW right?
and do I need a cab connected to provide load?

I’ve tried micing the cab but sounds were poor. 
The headphone out sounds v fizzy. 
I haven’t got a load box so I know I can’t get the FX’d signal out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 2130
    It will work. 

Fx send and preamp out are essentially the same things on most amps and it is interchangeable terminology. 

You could add an IR in software to help filter the sound and add the colouration of a speaker. Bear in mind you will not receive any power amp colouration. The global presence and depth controls (if applicable) will also likely not have any effect as they tend to sit in the power amp section, which in this scenario will be bypassed. Or not reached in this case because the signal will be exiting after the preamp.  

You will need a load unless the amp is designed to operate without one. 

You won’t hurt anything by tapping the fx loop send into an interface etc. Just make sure a load is connected. 

The amp will remain silent because no signal will be reaching the power amp. Just don’t plug anything into the fx return. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    edited February 2021
    Yes you can the  pre amp out socket into your audio interface line input , it's how I record all my amps. If you put a jack in the PWR in with the tip shorted to ground you won't hear anything from the amp and you won't need a dummy load. 

The effects loop is parallel on your amp I think hence use the Pre out / PWR in ... thats's serial 

The advantage of recording your amp in this way is once you have a good take using a speaker sim in your daw, remove it and send the track back out into the PWR in of your amp while it's miced up and you will get the full sound of the amp as if you recorded it mic'ed up originally. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Update
    I used preamp out and fx out, but the evh is a parallel fx and doesn’t silence the cab. Then remembered the obvious trick of putting a jack into the headphone out. It still sends a small bleed to the cab but very quiet. I’ve never been convinced enough to disconnect the cab load even tho the manual says it’s ok to when headphones are plugged in. 

So with Preamp out to interface, I tried running though Torpedo WoS which sounded ok ish. Also tried Logic’s transparent amp into the cab section. Pretty good also. 
     But got really the best results by running into Plini, turning off the amp section and just running the eq and cab section. Plus the delay reverb section just adds to the goodness. 
    So yay! I can record my actual amp. 
    Next experiment, I’ll run FX out into my actual pedalboard and out from that, see how that works. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    edited March 2021
    Danny1969 said:
    Yes you can the  pre amp out socket into your audio interface line input , it's how I record all my amps. If you put a jack in the PWR in with the tip shorted to ground you won't hear anything from the amp and you won't need a dummy load.
    Be careful with that - some amps are unstable with no load, even with no power amp input signal. The Mesa Dual Rectifier is one, and I wouldn't count on the 5150 not being another.

It *is* safe if you put a shorted plug in *both* the Power Amp In/FX Return *and* the speaker output jacks though - use the highest impedance if there are multiple options. Shorting the output of a valve amp is safe with no input signal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    ICBM said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Be careful with that - some amps are unstable with no load, even with no power amp input signal. The Mesa Dual Rectifier is one, and I wouldn't count on the 5150 not being another.

It *is* safe if you put a shorted plug in *both* the Power Amp In/FX Return *and* the speaker output jacks though - use the highest impedance if there are multiple options. Shorting the output of a valve amp is safe with no input signal.
    Yeah what I should have said is leave the speaker connected if it's a head rather than a combo but the input of the power amp shorted to ground so transformer has a  load but there's no input signal to power amp to make any noise
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Ok so now I need to check I’m not doing any damage. 
    The EVH head has a headphone out that cuts the cab output and then doesn’t require a cab connected. So I’ve put a blank stereo jack (not actual headphones) in to the headphone out AND kept the cab connected just in case. 
    Then a preamp out or FX out to the DAW should be ok, with no other stuff needed, right?