Isolated bass guitar parts for rehearsal / live?

What's Hot
TrudeTrude Frets: 914
Hi all

I'm thinking of dipping my toe in the world of tracks for the first time ever, but just to add bass parts when playing with my drumming son.  He's only 10, but he's already got a few gigs and Grade 4 merit under his belt, and he can hold his own among adult players for most rock/pop stuff.  I want to get him out for some pub garden type gigs this summer, so we'll be working on a 2x45 set.  I have a few bass-playing mates to call on, but in the meantime I want to rehearse with just the two of us.  It'd also be handy to be able to gig as a duo, using the bass tracks when we need to

So, I could probably record parts myself, but I'm not a proper bass player.  I thought I'd see if anyone knows of a good source of well-recorded isolated bass stems I could grab instead?  I've found a couple of websites that provide the whole multitrack arrangement, but that's a bit more than I need. 

Tech-wise, my loose plan is to use Ableton Live 11 with a click count-in, and then use the new tempo-follow feature on the kick or snare mic so we don't have to worry too much about perfect sync to a click all the way through (I'll have a tap tempo pedal too as a backup)

Any tips or suggested resources gratefully received! 
Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    If you google Mogg files Chris then every song that's been used in Guitar Hero, Rockband etc is available in multitrack form with the bass on it's own.
    Just open the file with the free Audacity and export the bass track as an MP3 or Wav
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Danny1969 said:
    If you google Mogg files Chris then every song that's been used in Guitar Hero, Rockband etc is available in multitrack form with the bass on it's own.
    Just open the file with the free Audacity and export the bass track as an MP3 or Wav
    Thanks Danny - sounds promising.  I searched and found a bunch of sites, but they either had broken links or I got bombarded with popups etc.  All the Reddit posts I saw seemed to be working 3-4 years ago, but I couldn't find any more recent posts.  Do you know any specific sites where they're still available?

Trading feedback here
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    If you want the live drums to act as a tap tempo to control the playback then I would have thought that you would be better off with a MIDI bass part?  Although I started out as a bass player when I put togther practice tracks for the band I just grab a MIDI song file from t'interweb, correct / edit / change key as required, then play the bass through a vst (I use Scarabee Rick bass).
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914

Musicwolf said:
    If you want the live drums to act as a tap tempo to control the playback then I would have thought that you would be better off with a MIDI bass part?  Although I started out as a bass player when I put togther practice tracks for the band I just grab a MIDI song file from t'interweb, correct / edit / change key as required, then play the bass through a vst (I use Scarabee Rick bass).
    In Ableton I don't think it matters whether you're using MIDI or audio as long as the original tempo of your clip is correct. I tested this by dragging in the drum intro from When the Levee Breaks. Ableton identifies the beats perfectly and you can tap the tempo to anything you want, with the audio following the change perfectly (ie without affecting the pitch)
    Whether the tempo is coming from a tap or recognised via a mic input shouldn't make much difference (btw, I would have a tap pedal too just as a backup if things go awry)

Trading feedback here