Wanna sell my Stingray ... but what should I get instead?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Unless you hate it to play I would strongly consider changing the preamp, or changing the pickup or wiring - the stock pickup is a parallel humbucker, series would sound very different, or you could split it (if you don't mind hum). I'm not sure if you can rewire the stock pickup - I seem to remember they're resin-potted, although I might be wrong, it's a while since I took one out... but if not, many aftermarket options are available.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I actually don't hate it to play at all. I really like it to play.

If I was gonna replace the electronics then .... what the heck am I looking at?

Funky Finger dude said before:

John East products. Aguilar does some nice, if pricey, stuff. Bartolini does too but I always worry about the quality of the pots they choose to use.

My favourite bassists... Ryan Martinie on LD50 by Mudvayne ... Justin Chancellor on Lateralus and 10,000 Days... Sam Rivers from Limp Bizkit on Significant Other.... yes seriously!!! Jeff Caxide from ISIS... Jon Stockman from Karnivool...

I like clean bass tones with a ton of reverb and delay... then a slightly crunchy thing.... then big fuzzy tones....

The Ray never seems to be clean or dynamic enough to me. 

Maybe this is the way to go first....

Bye!

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I actually don't hate it to play at all. I really like it to play.

If I was gonna replace the electronics then .... what the heck am I looking at?

Funky Finger dude said before:

John East products. Aguilar does some nice, if pricey, stuff. Bartolini does too but I always worry about the quality of the pots they choose to use.

My favourite bassists... Ryan Martinie on LD50 by Mudvayne ... Justin Chancellor on Lateralus and 10,000 Days... Sam Rivers from Limp Bizkit on Significant Other.... yes seriously!!! Jeff Caxide from ISIS... Jon Stockman from Karnivool...

I like clean bass tones with a ton of reverb and delay... then a slightly crunchy thing.... then big fuzzy tones....

The Ray never seems to be clean or dynamic enough to me. 

Maybe this is the way to go first....
    A good custom pickup winder would do you something to nail the tone, and a chat with Mr East for a custom preamp to deliver the rest.. bit of soldering, screwing and fiddling and Bob’s yer mothers bro.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Try some flatwounds, they still have plenty of bite.  Have some on mine and like them
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    I read about Gail Ann Dorsey's Stingray settings on one of the thread in here, and I tried it out: it becomes a different bass, really does.
    Bass dialled full, mid and treble rolled right off. 

I wouldn't part with mine, but I am going to have a Precision in the near future, but it will be a self build.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    In that interview she didn't say she rolled the mids right off - in fact I think she said it's flat or even slightly bumped depending on the song?
  • Snap said:
    I read about Gail Ann Dorsey's Stingray settings on one of the thread in here, and I tried it out: it becomes a different bass, really does.

I wouldn't part with mine, but I am going to have a Precision in the near future, but it will be a self build.
    I've tried that before, it isn't really for me. I actually like a LOT of clank and presence in my tone. It's just the stingray focuses it in the wrong frequency range for my tastes. I'd prefer it to be higher, like a Warwick.

I keep coming back to Warwick. I have a bit of a life-long Ryan Martinie boner. So that's probably where it comes from.

Bye!

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    I once had a Fender Mex Jazz Bass with EMG pickups on it - it was one of those "hang on, why do folk spend more?" moments - it really was very hard to fault and it was my first experience with active pickups - I was worried they'd be like active guitar pickups (which I don't like) but it just sounded great and the controls really felt like they did what they were meant to do, but nothing ever got overblown. 

For reasons I can't recall I sold it to @Estheroid
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23937
    TimmyO said:
    I once had a Fender Mex Jazz Bass with EMG pickups on it - it was one of those "hang on, why do folk spend more?" moments - it really was very hard to fault and it was my first experience with active pickups - I was worried they'd be like active guitar pickups (which I don't like) but it just sounded great and the controls really felt like they did what they were meant to do, but nothing ever got overblown. 

For reasons I can't recall I sold it to @Estheroid
    I have them in my Sandberg.
    Superb pickups.
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    Nothing like a good Warwick.  I have EMGs in one of my Thumbs great pickups.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    FFIIW, I have a pair of EMG-JV pickups languishing in a drawer. 
    Be seeing you.
    FFIIW, I have a pair of EMG-JV pickups languishing in a drawer. 
    They are not as good as the original J models.
    The originals really do sound like a good set of passives. Just no hum when soloed.
    edited March 2021
    That is probably why the EMG-JV pair is languishing. They sounded less lively than Seymour Duncan Basslines Lightnin' Rods or, for that matter, Duncan Designed JB-101 passive single coils.

My favourites are ye olde Duncan Active EQ series "switch" pickups from the Eighties.
    Be seeing you.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    Snap said:

I've tried that before, it isn't really for me. I actually like a LOT of clank and presence in my tone. It's just the stingray focuses it in the wrong frequency range for my tastes. I'd prefer it to be higher, like a Warwick.

I keep coming back to Warwick. I have a bit of a life-long Ryan Martinie boner. So that's probably where it comes from.
    Warwick are excellent basses and they're not desperately trendy at the minute. Second hand German ones seem like a lot of bass for not a lot of money, if you can find a lefty... 
  • Snap said:

Warwick are excellent basses and they're not desperately trendy at the minute. Second hand German ones seem like a lot of bass for not a lot of money, if you can find a lefty... 
    Yeah, that's le problematique. :(

I was looking at their teambuilt prices the other day..... not 100% unobtanium actually.... I'd have to throw it on le credit du la suisse.... but then you've gotta sorta maybe hope that it is actually the lifer bass you imagine it to be. Big risk.

I may just get a Fender Player precision or a jazz to tide me over.

Bye!

my FAME bass ... I'm gonna strip it back to the wood
    Careful. On some of their products, the paint may be the only thing holding the laminate layers together.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • my FAME bass ... I'm gonna strip it back to the wood
    Careful. On some of their products, the paint may be the only thing holding the laminate layers together.
    It was a bloody expensive bass, so I'm gonna be pissed if that's the case!!!

Bye!

edited March 2021
    Sandberg? I came across this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Handed-Sandberg-Classic-Bass/184699424670

No, I do not know why there appears to be a strap button fitted on the front of the body!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    Sandberg? I came across this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Handed-Sandberg-Classic-Bass/184699424670

No, I do not know why there appears to be a strap button fitted on the front of the body!
    Those are lovely!

Great price too!

Great price too!
    I thought so at first - but I can't work out what that (what appears to be) a strap button is doing on the front! Unfortunately the pic quality is just too poor to show it really clearly, but if it is screwed on that would have a significant impact on the value of the bass - it could probably be professionally repaired, but it might be quite expensive and not completely invisible.

I'm also slightly puzzled by why Sandberg have fitted the pickups backwards - the same way round as on a right-hander. Unfortunately that doesn't bode well for the controls working the correct left-handed way round either...