Nitro strat for a grand?

What's Hot
I’ve come into a little money and whilst I love my MIM strat, I really like the feel of my goldtop. I think it’s the finish that does it. 
Could I build an sc relics part caster for a grand? Do fender offer something nitro at that price point? 

Your inspiration is welcome! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12338
    Roadworn if that’s your bag. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Roadworns are great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • For a tad more you should get a used thin skin, AVRI nitro Strat, or something similar. 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    If you like your MIM why not get it refinished in nitro
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5410
    MIM Classic Lacquers are easily obtained for under a grand secondhand. Good option if you can’t abide by the relic look. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    edited February 2021
    Roadworn all day long. I love mine.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    The recentish, Original 50s and 60’s Series of Fender Strats are Nitro as I believe are the Highway Ones...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I have a brilliant Navigator Strat for not much over 1k. Bought from @brooom a year or so ago. Can heartily recommend something like this. Spec and quality of materials, build & finish is too drawer.

http://espguitars.co.jp/navigator/nstalr.html
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12338
    paulnb57 said:
    The recentish, Original 50s and 60’s Series of Fender Strats are Nitro as I believe are the Highway Ones...
    The highway ones are satin nitro rather than gloss but still very nice. 
  • phil_b said:
    If you like your MIM why not get it refinished in nitro
    Agreed. If you love your current Strat, @lamf68 would do a stellar job refinishing it for you. There's always a chance that you'll splash out on a guitar that you like less. In my experience, some MIM Fenders are easily the equal of more prestigious American models. If you have a good one, might be worth sticking with it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EskerEsker Frets: 80
    I would go for a used AVRI, I have a 2004 and for me, its a better guitar than my team built CS.....I will say the nitro on the AVRI isn’t as good as a custom shop finish...it seems to be thicker...but it’s a guitar I’ve bonded with way more than any other...I would be devastated if anything happened to it. I paid 1100 last year....if you’re patient and try an auction you could probably get one sub 1k.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 775
    edited February 2021
    American Original or a Road Worn if it were me.

There's an inca silver american original currently bidding at £1000 on ebay. And a lake placid blue road worn currently at £745, also on ebay.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    My Fender Vintera Roadworn Tele is one of the best guitars I've owned.  If the Strats are anything like the same then I'd definitely look at them.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    Fifty9 said:
    I have a brilliant Navigator Strat for not much over 1k. Bought from @brooom a year or so ago. Can heartily recommend something like this. Spec and quality of materials, build & finish is too drawer.

http://espguitars.co.jp/navigator/nstalr.html
    that was a really cool guitar, happy to hear you're still enjoying it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Hasn’t the road worn got a poly neck?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    Andy79 said:
    Hasn’t the road worn got a poly neck?
    It's like sand back, satin feel.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    munckee said:
    paulnb57 said:
    The highway ones are satin nitro rather than gloss but still very nice. 
    A quick whizz over with T cut shines them up though...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9606
    Whitecat said:
    MIM Classic Lacquers are easily obtained for under a grand secondhand. Good option if you can’t abide by the relic look. 
    Unfortunately they now suffer from “discontinued model inflation” and see asking prices similar to what they were new (£800). I paid £565 for an as-new one about 3 years ago. Not that many of them around, but yes, nice guitars and a notch above the “standard” MIM Classic series imho.