Furch Vintage 1 Acoustics

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
in Acoustics tFB Trader
Hi ... on my quest for a decent small bodied acoustic, I've come across the Furch Vintage 1 00 which looks lovely. I've not had any experience with the brand - anyone on here played one?

It's between that and the Larrivee P-03 but they both seem to be as rare as hen's teeth on the used market at the mo!

Cheers

D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Furch have got a very good reputation. I think Richards guitars is one of the few resellers though (he isn't the most loved personality(. 
    Personally I wouldn't buy any acoustic blind as there are so many variables. 
    You can get in the shops soonish. I'd hold out and go on a road trip to try a few. 

YMMV and all that 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    I'd be looking at used those which narrows it down a bit. Hmmm. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    We've had a few threads about Furch/Stonebridge recently and all good. I personally have a Stonebridge and it's fabulous. Had it nearly 10 years now.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Sorry, I should have explained that Furch and Stonebridge are the same thing, it's just that they used the name Stonebridge for a few years to get themselves more established in the UK and US.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    @Snags has a lovely Furch acoustic , the quality is definitely there !
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    Yup, I can haz a Furch.

It's my most expensive guitar, but it was about half the price of any of the Big Name equivalents. It's slightly less lovely than it was when I first got it, as it was bought to be used not polished, so there are a few minor battle scars. Still sounds really nice. If I was in the market for a different body shape etc. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

There's a chap at one of the local open mics who is very good, and has a very nice guitar of his own, and it got to the point where he mostly stopped bringing his guitar so that he could borrow mine instead. Fortunately I like him. Even though he's considerably more talented than me (bastard).

Mine came from Richard's Guitars, but only after I'd been up there (to his old shop) and spent quite a bit of time playing it and some others. Although he can be a bit of a divisive personality (his name is guaranteed a load of nudge, wink, wahey comments on here), I'd be happy to get another guitar from him.  You just have to approach the process appropriately prepared and fairly relaxed. Happy to share more by PM, don't really think it's fair to do so in public.

There are a couple of other places that carry Furch, one down towards the  south coast if I remember rightly, but can't remember the name.

• RicjoRicjo Frets: 20
    edited March 2021
    Hi Again, @4114Effects!

There is a Larrivee P-03W for sale on Gumtree:

I have no affiliation with the vendor, so obviously proceed at your own risk. But if it's anywhere as nice as my own, you won't regret it. Best of luck!

(just realised this may not be permitted on here - if so, apologies and please delete if appropriate. Thanks!)
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Ricjo said:
    Hi Again, @4114Effects!

There is a Larrivee P-03W for sale on Gumtree:

I have no affiliation with the vendor, so obviously proceed at your own risk. But if it's anywhere as nice as my own, you won't regret it. Best of luck!

(just realised this may not be permitted on here - if so, apologies and please delete if appropriate. Thanks!)
    That sold on eBay last week. He must have forgotten to take the ad down :-)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited March 2021
    Guitar Village stock Furch.  They are a good shop.

They always used to do a Boss Gone Mad Sale in March.  I don't know if they will do it in the current situation though.  It might be worth keeping an eye on their website to see.  Having said that the last few years the BGMS has been underwhelming.  It's been more Boss Gone Slightly Eccentric.  I miss the old days when there would be a US Strat for fiver, and a queue round the block.

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    I've owned a couple of Furch, Furchs? Furchi?

They were both stellar instruments. I've also owned a few Larrivee's, Canadian and American. I'd take a Furch over the larrivee, especially the American 03 series that I didn't care too much for (they felt cheap).

I'd also suggest trying an Eastman as they are very highly rated.