Prs SE A50E. Opinions

StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
I’m very tempted to buy my first acoustic guitar. I’ve dabble with acoustics in the past but never committed to acoustic as I’ve been playing electric for 20+ years. 

Now, I’m thinking I need a different challenge.

the A50E has caught my attention. Solid woods and Prs SE quality seems like a very good deal. The Blue Matteo finish really caught my eye.

But what’s the opinion on them? Very good for the price? Anything else to consider in that price range?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 240
    I looked at that range and came to the opinion that the A40 was better for my purposes. I wasn't disappointed but it is still "opening up". The most striking aspect is how slick the neck is. I really like to play it although the fretwork around the 14 - 16th fret is a bit high and it chokes up. Will have that seen to once lockdown is over.

Be aware that the sides and back are laminated if I read the blurb correctly. Mine is none the worse for that.

I assume you are looking at the GuitarGuitar offer on the A50. I'd give that a go if I was looking. But be aware that even with the laminated back and sides the tonality is likely to be on the bright side of neutral. You may be able to change that with a different string choice.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Ok thank you. I’ve just ordered it and it should be with me tomorrow. Looking forward to it 
    Arrived today and I’m seriously impressed. It’s a lot of guitar for the money. Looking forward to learning some Celtic tunes 
    Just wait until it opens up.

By the by, the plugged in sound and the unplugged sound are quite different if mine is anything to go by. Not a problem provided you're expecting it.
    Unfortunately going to have to return or exchange it as there's terrible fret buzz past the 10th fret. I've tried adjusting the truss rod for higher action but that doesn't resolve it. A real shame but hopefully can be resolved quickly
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 220
    That's really unfortunate about the buzzing. I'm guessing you've not had a chance to play any in stores? Because strangely enough I went into the Epsom guitarguitar with the intention of purchasing one of these, and ended up walking out with an Alvarez, having never owned an acoustic either I was surprised to find the one I loved the most was one I hadn't even really looked at online. 

With shops looking like they may open next month, personally I'd go with a refund, then head to a store, and play everything, who knows what you might walk away with.
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    If it's anything like the last reopening, my local stores are still not letting you play guitars, just look at them! You have to buy and take them back if you're not happy. Not a great situation, but better than nothing I guess. 
    I was going to wait till shops reopened but last time I went to guitarguitar in September you had to make an appointment and didn’t feel comfortable with trying out more than 1 guitar, as they then had to set that guitar aside for disinfecting.
    So there's been a cock up. Was supposed to go back to have work done on it and they've got themselves confused and have given me a full refund, which isn't what I wanted.

So now it seems I no longer have the guitar but have my money back. A bit gutted, that was a beautiful guitar.
    Pity. Mine has come on song and all I need now is the fretwork fettled.
    Proabably a bit late but when I asked for myA40E to be set up, the response was that their tech was furloughed (I think)
    Well I spoke to them again on Friday and they said they would send me instructions to pay the money back and they’d get the guitar sorted for me. Still waiting for the email from them, so I’m getting quite frustrated. Twice now I’ve spoken to them to get it sorted and still nothing.
    To end with, not getting it back now. After chasing GuitarGuitar once again, they finally tell me the guitar had to go back to the supplier as they could sort the problem out. Decided not to wait for them to send me a replacement out because they’re not sure when new stock was arriving.

overall, disappointed