Storing a sound hole pickup inside guitar

What's Hot
jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
Hi, I’ve mentioned before about my Tanglewood TW45 Heritage with non-working B Band electrics. I love the guitar as a pure acoustic but would like electric capability too and B Bands seem to be expansive and unreliable, so my solution as someone who never gigs acoustic but would like the ability is this:

Repurpose the existing installed Jack pin by ‘hardwiring’ a sound hole pickup eg Duncan Woody (but not that particular model as it’s crap, but you get the idea) by cutting off the male Jack and wiring the cable to the end pin, giving me the ability to plug in whenever. 

Now, the question - I wouldn’t want the sound hole pickup installed at all time, so would it be doable to, say, velcro the back of the pickup inside the sound hole but out of view when not in use to keep the guitar’s aesthetics preserved, then unstick it and install it into place in the soundhole when needed?

Would this dull vibrations of the guitar, making it sound worse, or would it be viable if a bit Heath Robinson?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It would rattle most acoustic pickups have some weight in them. FWIW I have fishman single coils on two acoustics and once you’ve got used to them being there doesn’t jar the aesthetics to my eye at all.

Ps what I don’t like is acoustics with clip on tuners, just looks odd to me. However Dkaddario do the NS tuner which clips out of site in the sound hole really sorts the problem https://www.amazon.co.uk/DAddario-PW-CT-15-Micro-Sound-Tuner/dp/B018K9K034/ref=sr_1_10?adgrpid=71001143034&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1pyCBhCtARIsAHaY_5d9-oq86YnIMPd80Yv2lMgijYqH61X3Tp6EhAv3p389UbgJjT0Kik0aApFiEALw_wcB&hvadid=339091484376&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9045670&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7822563229159076167&hvtargid=kwd-430633899297&hydadcr=25912_1778718&keywords=ns+micro+clip+free+tuner&qid=1615305302&sr=8-10

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited March 2021
    What I did with 2 of mine is to install a cable from end pin to a mini male stereo jack. Stereo to complete the battery connection. Then I shortened and wired  the sound hole pickup output cable with a stereo female mini jack. When removed the internal cable (jack wrapped w loop velcro) gets stuck against the side or end block which has hook velcro on.

The other upshot is I can switch the SD mag mic and fishman humbucker between either guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    I used to have a Mimesis (later Fishman) sound hole pickup installed in my old D28. Never really noticed it been there until it was in use on stage. As it does not affect the vibration of the top in that area and does not get in the way, there doesn't seem any point removing it when not needed. The other potential nasty due to velcro attaching it inside the guitar is a glue/velcro failure letting the thing clatter it's way through the guitar while cracking a brace or two on the way ( I have seen this damage caused by a battery coming loose ).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    The LR Baggs soundhole pickups, and some others eg Fishman Blackstack, but not the Rare Earth, have a cable that detaches from the pickup, so you can wrap the cable in something like a little drawstring jewelry bag and leave that inside the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    Thanks gents - some cracking ideas here. Don’t fancy the idea of it coming loose and wreaking havoc so I’ll probably steal either @Winny_Pooh or as ever @ICBM ’s ideas...