Noel Gallagher gets a signature acoustic

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    PS Noel is great, Oasis were great, High Flying Birds are great.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 773
    No idea if legit, but somebody in the YouTube comments claims to have preordered from a UK shop at £3799.

If thats true then the price gets a big lol from me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1198
    edited March 2021
    Gerz6558 said:
    No idea if legit, but somebody in the YouTube comments claims to have preordered from a UK shop at £3799.

Sounds like a lot but I'm not really familiar with Gibson acoustics. Quick search shows an SJ200 for £3700 so maybe not?
    Either way, it's more than I'll ever afford!
  • I'd like to see a sig 355.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    Gerz6558 said:

Sounds like a lot but I'm not really familiar with Gibson acoustics. Quick search shows an SJ200 for £3700 so maybe not?
    Either way, it's more than I'll ever afford!
    Maybe the addidas sticker that comes with it is specially aged by the Murphy Lab. Sure to send the price waaaay up.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2021
    jeztone2 said:
    I bet nearly every single one is sold to a pro footballer. 

Noel Gallagher represents the sort of narrow minded tribalism I loathe in both music and life. I don’t care if he’s more successful than I am. He’s not someone I’d ever care to emulate. 
    Did someone hurt you?
    Not at all, I just loathe that era of music. Not so much Oasis even, but all the awful acolytes and soundalike bands that happened shortly afterwards. I remember in 1997 selling an amp to a guy from a Camden type scenester band and he even put on a Mancunian accent while he was trying it out. I was speechless.

Besides why can’t I be close minded about one of the most closed minded people in music? Surely I’m just practicing what he preaches? Or have none of you ever read an interview with him? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    This just in.....some people like Noel Gallagher, some don't.

Let's argue all day about who's right.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    Hattigol said:
    This just in.....some people like Noel Gallagher, some don't.

Let's argue all day about who's right.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    I wonder if Liam will get a signature microphone and stand ?
    I like Oasis and both brothers output.
    Just wish they could get someone like Steven Wilson to remaster the Oasis albums .
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    The internet rarely fails to amuse me these days. Folk getting butt hurt over “relics” and Noel Gallagher. Entertaining to read, quite sad though. 

For 3-4 years Oasis were untouchable which was unfortunately while Noel was engrossed in his cocaine addiction which accentuated his arrogance. However, he’s always been more interested in his songwriting than the guitar he is playing which you don’t get much these days.  I watch every interview with him and I don’t mind him saying how big Oasis were or his style of humour directed at other musicians. It’s just part of what makes him, him.

New artists are scrambling over gear endorsements to elevate their position of superiority amongst youtube subs which is a shame. Noel has only put his name to one other piece of gear in nearly 30 years of being in the business. 

I think he’s allowed this. Looks like a nice guitar too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3134
    edited March 2021 tFB Trader
    I usually stay away from signature guitars but NG's J-150 is the acoustic guitar tone that I grew up with and is the one that is my reference point.

Other high-end Super Jumbos are similarly priced (Atkin AJ is £3799) so it's well priced (if correct) for a sig guitar of that ilk.

There are many, many guitarists that started playing (me included) in the 90s because of songwriting from players like NG and Kelly Jones - also a SJ player - and whatever you think of his playing ability, if you ever got the chance to stand in the middle of 70,000 people on a warm summer's night and had Don't Look Back In Anger, Live Forever, and Champagne Supernova fired at you then you'll understand why people still rate him so highly and by extension, search out his tone.

As with all luxury goods, they're not compulsory purchases so why people who won't ever buy them moan about both their existence and price is beyond me. I don't want and won't ever buy a £20k watch so you don't see me ragin' on the Rolex forums about them.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    RiftAmps said:

There are many, many guitarists that started playing (me included) in the 90s because of songwriting from players like NG and Kelly Jones

I was never a fan of Oasis (didn't mind them though) and when I was a teenager in the 90's loads of kids in my school picked up a guitar due to them.  Very few guitarists start off listening to Fred Frith or playing 12 tone free improv but they might get into later via a mainstream accessible artist. 

I'm sure the signature NG's will sell and any new release which puts a few coins in the pockets of guitar shop employees in this market (even though from what I read guitars are selling well) is a good thing.

Also If a footballer spends his cash on a few NG Gibson's than a Rolex, it's a great thing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mudcrutch said:
    Just wish they could get someone like Steven Wilson to remaster the Oasis albums .
    Really, which ones and why? Personally I wouldn’t touch Definitely Maybe at all, it’s a snapshot of their live sound at the time, the noise and hiss etc is part of it’s character and took several attempts by different people to get right the first time around before release (the first few attempts sounded nothing like them, really weak and they thought record would of got nowhere) I didn’t really listen to anything after the second album though. 
    edited March 2021
    If you really want a really good laugh? 
    Go look on the Joe Bonamassa Shop site.
    You won’t believe what you see on there.
    He puts his name on anything .
    Don’t be tempted to sign up for mail shots because you will get loads every day of the week.
    RiftAmps said:
    As with all luxury goods, they're not compulsory purchases so why people who won't ever buy them moan about both their existence and price is beyond me. I don't want and won't ever buy a £20k watch so you don't see me ragin' on the Rolex forums about them.
    Is it a luxury good though? I thought these things were to be played on, and not admired on a wall or from its case. I don't think Gibson can be commended on pricing anything well of late. A J150 is a stripped back J200, no? So I'm not sure why it needs to be so expensive, if it will be nearly 4k.

Hopefully they will release an Epiphone version for the masses. But that maybe a bit too close to the J200 they recently released.

I'm definitely not one of those that begrudge him getting a signature though. Makes a change from the YouTubers getting one these days.
  • Oasis are the reason why I started playing the guitar in the first place. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be playing.

Hopefully this sig will attract more people to learn to play the instrument given the lack of interest in guitar these days.
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    That’s a great point, I imagine he could have cashed-in big time at their peak with gear endorsements. I’ve always been a fan, but that aside, it’s hard to think of signature guitar artists that have written more era/genre-defining songs on their signature models. 

Aside: on the 25th anniversary documentary of WTSMG on YouTube last year, it was interesting to see that all acoustics on that album were done on a Takamine....which he gave to the sound engineer (who still has it, ker-ching!!)
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3134
    tFB Trader
    Gerz6558 said:
    RiftAmps said:
    Is it a luxury good though? I thought these things were to be played on, and not admired on a wall or from its case. I don't think Gibson can be commended on pricing anything well of late. A J150 is a stripped back J200, no? So I'm not sure why it needs to be so expensive, if it will be nearly 4k.

Of course it's a luxury good, it's not a necessity like food and water
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2021
    Noel sold or gave to charity his original that was used on a few albums not long ago .
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    Mudcrutch said:
    Noel sold or gave to charity his original that was used on a few albums not long ago .
    Not the J150, he’s still using that