Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V pickup question

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
edited March 2021 in Bass
I picked up a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V for recording and was just cleaning the crud off and giving it a quick setup. Under the pickguard, I found it has been shielded with copper tape and I figure previous owner may have done this, but what I wanted to know from anyone that owns one is this, should the pickups have push back cloth hookup wire? As the ones in this bass do.

Really, haven't got the inclination for a full break down of the bass, as it is in really good condition and I just want to play the thing. So figured one of you may know if this was a standard thing on these?

As I was expecting some cheap pickups, with regular plastic coated wiring. The quick look I had at the control plate soldering looks neat though and so they might well be the originals.

Do they shield these from the factory with copper tape?

Couple of pics here

https://imgur.com/a/HbMT1p0

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    That's definitely not factory shielding, and although I can't be certain I doubt the pickups are either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
    I'd agree on the shielding, as it looks far too neat and not the usual 'slap on some shielding paint in the cavity and apply a thin bit of silver foil on the pickguard' job.

Again, I'm not sure about pickups either and to be fair I'm not a bass expert by any means. They sound fine to me, the Alpha pots are also smooth and tapers are good too. If anyone does know if the originals were like this, I'd still like to know, as I'm geeky like that.

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    I'd just unscrew the pickup and see if there's anything on the bottom of it.  Given that all the rest of the wiring is plastic, I think they are replacement pickups.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    The budget push-back insulation is correct for the "in-house" Fender-designed pickups that were used on Squier VM series bass guitars after they stopped using OEM Duncan Designed ones. 

IIRC, DuncDes never offered a five string Jazz Bass pickup pair. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
    Cheers fella, that is very useful to know and saves me unscrewing everything again! Nice one.