How many acoustics do you own

What's Hot

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Two
    A Gretsch Jim Dandy and a Messer Resonator, both liberally covered in dust!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Two
    A Gibson Jackson Browne model
    A Buscarino nylon string
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Two
    A Gibson Jackson Browne model
    A Buscarino nylon string
    Always liked the look of the Jackson Browne. How do you find it ?
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Somehow I have crept up to four. I’ve had a Taylor 310 (dreadnought) for over 20 years. A Loar LH-200 which cost me all of £200 a few years ago. It’s somewhat limited in terms of sound but it’s nice to play and very well made for such a cheap guitar. Last year the Loar was usurped as a sofa guitar by a Taylor GS Mini. I’m also “looking after” my uncle’s flamenco guitar, which my grandfather bought in Mexico City in the early sixties. I saved it when I saw my cousin trying to give it away on facebook one Sunday afternoon!
    Do you know anything about the flamenco guitar? Mexican flamenco guitars can have an interesting history. 

Andy79 said:
    Loads. I love acoustic guitars therefore I’ve got all shapes n sizes, wood types and bracing patterns. I have a thing for ladder braced 0s so there’s at least 6 of them 
    Sorry to ask but could you share some more info about your ladder braced 0's?
    I bought a cheap Recording King 12 fret 0, and I really enjoy playing it with a pick. I love ladder braced guitars as well, didn't know there are many ladder braced 0's out there! 

I have 4 steel strings and 2 flamenco guitars. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Somehow I have crept up to four. I’ve had a Taylor 310 (dreadnought) for over 20 years. A Loar LH-200 which cost me all of £200 a few years ago. It’s somewhat limited in terms of sound but it’s nice to play and very well made for such a cheap guitar. Last year the Loar was usurped as a sofa guitar by a Taylor GS Mini. I’m also “looking after” my uncle’s flamenco guitar, which my grandfather bought in Mexico City in the early sixties. I saved it when I saw my cousin trying to give it away on facebook one Sunday afternoon!
    Do you know anything about the flamenco guitar? Mexican flamenco guitars can have an interesting history. 

Andy79 said:
    Loads. I love acoustic guitars therefore I’ve got all shapes n sizes, wood types and bracing patterns. I have a thing for ladder braced 0s so there’s at least 6 of them 
    I bought a cheap Recording King 12 fret 0, and I really enjoy playing it with a pick. I love ladder braced guitars as well, didn't know there are many ladder braced 0's out there! 

This kinda thing 
    They are most peoples idea of a guitar nightmare, small bodies. wide, flat huge necks, usually need a ton of rebuilding and set up but they sound really good when done. Also great with a magnetic pickup and a drive pedal, the small body lets you really crank the go knob without too much feedback. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Four, one of which is a 12 string.
    Over a dozen banjos. Yes, they count as instruments.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Sassafras said:

Over a dozen banjos. Yes, they count as instruments of torture.
    FTFY

Just kidding :). A well-played banjo is actually a thing of wonder. I once worked with someone who really could... I can't get the hang of it at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Andy79 said:

Andy79 said:

This kinda thing 
    They are most peoples idea of a guitar nightmare, small bodies. wide, flat huge necks, usually need a ton of rebuilding and set up but they sound really good when done. Also great with a magnetic pickup and a drive pedal, the small body lets you really crank the go knob without too much feedback. 

Thanks for the info, they are stunners. I love the artwork on the one on the left.

Sorry to ask again but who made them? Regal or Harmony? That's about as much as I know about 'other' guitar makers from that kind of era.

The more I play my O sized RK, the more I am pleased with the comfort and sound of the body size. I'd love a proper short scale 12 fret Martin 0-18/28 or style guitar but they seem to be quite thin on the ground (mine is long scale)
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Andy79 said:

Andy79 said:

This kinda thing 

Thanks for the info, they are stunners. I love the artwork on the one on the left.

Sorry to ask again but who made them? Regal or Harmony? That's about as much as I know about 'other' guitar makers from that kind of era.

The more I play my O sized RK, the more I am pleased with the comfort and sound of the body size. I'd love a proper short scale 12 fret Martin 0-18/28 or style guitar but they seem to be quite thin on the ground (mine is long scale)
    One on the left is an all birch Harmony Supertone (the sears catalog house brand). On the right is a Mahogany/Spruce Regal with genuine mother of toilet seat board
    Both around 24” scale. Solid one-piece woods with hide glue. You know it’s hide glue as you can see the squeeze-out in all the joints.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593

I don’t know much, except my grandfather and my uncle (who was about 15 at the time) made a road trip to Mexico City from Washington DC in, I think, 1962. They lived in Washington but my grandfather often visited Mexico City with work. Someone from his office recommended a guitar shop there so they went there and bought it. I think my uncle fancied himself as a Bob Dylan figure and that guitar went everywhere with him when he was a student a few years later. He got a split in the side and heel fixed at Andy’s in Denmark Street, I’m guessing late 80s/early 90s. I still have an album up on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/rZGpZ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Five of mine -
    An Avalon A200CE that I've had since 2005
    An Avalon L2-20 that I bought from the classifieds
    A l'Arrivee OM-02 that I bought last autumn
    A Martin jumbo from one of their kits that I made in 2008
    A StewMac dreadnought that I made from one of their kits in 2012

Plus -
    MrsTheOtherDennis has a classical acoustic that her dad bought her when she was a teenager, which she can no longer play because of her disability.

And I bought my lad a Crafter back in 2006 or 2007, sometime when he was at school, that he promised to learn to play on but never did. It's still hanging in his old bedroom, gathering dust.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    Two. Well, three. Maybe four.

Takamine EG332c which really needs a refret (had it for 20+ years and I tend to grip like a gorilla with anger issues) but isn't worth the money. Still sounds and plays OK though.

Furch G21CRC which is effectively the "only" acoustic now (the Tak lives elsewhere).

Yamaha 12-string just because it was very affordable and seemed like a good idea at the time.

Oh, and the wife has an old Epiphone starter jobbie with an action like a cheese grater that was an 18th birthday present, but that doesn't count.

I do have residual horn for either a decent dread or (actual) jumbo/super jumbo for proper thumpy madness, but can't really justify it. One day it's bound to happen though.

• BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    My wife will tell you I have at least 1000000000000000 with another 1000000000000000 cases all cluttering up the house, but I actually own 7

bourgeois vintage D (adi/madi)
    bourgeois countryboy D (adi/hog)
    collings CJ35
    collings 0002H
    Santa Cruz 00-1929 (all hog)
    National style 0 resonator (if that counts)
    and lastly some old tanglewood which was my first ‘good acoustic’ when I was a teenager. It’s all solid wood and surprisingly good for its price... but it now resides under a bed at my parents house, occasionally coming out for some campfire duty

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Five for me:

Martin D Custom
    Martin OM Custom
    Martin OM21
    Gibson J-185
    Atkin Essential O

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    One acoustic 
    One classical 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 336
    Not as exotic as some in this thread, but...

Auden Marlow - cedar/rosewood parlour (gets played the most)
    Auden Colton - spruce/rosewood dreadnought
    Furch G23-CRC - cedar/rosewood grand auditorium
    Faith Venus - spruce/rosewood OM (passed to my son)
    Baby Taylor - mahogany (my son's first guitar, which gets taken on holidays for fun)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    I have a Faith Venus for gigging and a Gibson J-35 for recording.

I do occasionally vaguely hanker after a resonator or gypsy jazz guitar, but being honest with myself I'd rarely play them. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Just one now, and its a belter for the money...

The Guild on the left here.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2411
    Five, unless I'm forgetting something:

Larrivee OM-3
    Washburn D33S (a surprisingly great guitar)
    an old Lyon & Healy / Washburn parlour guitar from the 1880s
    a 19th century French guitar which is even smaller
    and an unplayable nylon-string guitar my mother had made for her in Spain in the early 60s.

• rogdrogd Frets: 1513
    My two. A Martin D-41 from 1972, gigged and battle scarred. Its been all over the world with me. I've had it nearly 50 years, and my Larrivee P-09 from 2008. A cracking little thing.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom