SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Guild F-30 Vintage Acoustic Guitar 1966 Spruce Mahogany (000-18) Sunburst

What's Hot
djmusicmandjmusicman Frets: 12
edited May 2021 in Acoustics £
Vintage Guild F-30 from 1966.

A collectors dream. Comes with the original certificate/warranty and the original case.

The back and sides are solid mahogany with a nice sitka spruce top. The back braces, lining, tail and head block are all mahogany with spruce top braces. Mahogany neck with Brazilian rosewood fingerboard and bridge.This is a 000 sized guitar, as good as if not better than Martin 000-18's from the same era. This one was made in the Hoboken factory. Guild moved to Westerly in 1967 and the guitars made before the move were vastly superior & lighter builds.

The aged top gives it a warm tone. The guitar is well balanced and works equally well for fingerstyle or for flat picking. The bracing is very finely done on these earlier Guilds. The touch response and richness in tone even at low volumes is a testament to that.

I did an AB comparison with a modern Martin 000-18 which is a similar guitar. Both are very nice of course, what I noticed was that the Vintage Guilds top was more responsive, it requires less energy to get the same volume. The bass is more open and the trebles are warmer and rounded.

Scale length 24 3/4" (Short scale)

Nut width 1 11/16 (42mm) Similar neck to an electric guitar, very easy to play.

String spacing at the bridge 2 3/16 (55mm) (Really important when buying 60's Guild, most have 50-51mm spacing which makes it really hard to play fingerstyle on. 55mm is the prefered String spacing of Collings and Santa Cruz because it allows you to play comfortably both fingerstyle and with a pick)

I'm asking £2995 for this beauty.

Condition report:

Original finish

Original pickguard

Original bridge

Various battle scars and some crazing to the finish

No cracks

It's had a neck reset and the saddle has plenty of room

UPDATE: BRAND NEW FRETS!

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MhAAAOSwOJhgRzkE/s-l1600.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Benm39Benm39 Frets: 696
    What's the proposed asking price?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • djmusicmandjmusicman Frets: 12
    edited March 2021
    Update: I decided to get a refret done. The guitar will be available in 2 weeks.
    edited April 2021
    The guitar is available again. The refret is perfect and it plays like a new guitar now...... but it certainly doesn't sound like one! This one is good for the next 60 years.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Where are you based? (And can you say who did the refret?)
  • Jérôme Lair did the refret.
    camf said:
    Where are you based? (And can you say who did the refret?)
    Jérôme Lair did the refret. I can ship anywhere in Europe. No problem shipping to Denmark!

• camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Lol. Good to know. Although, I’m in Scotland. :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This one is sold, the K. Yairi is still available.
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1568
    This one did keep tempting me, I can relax again now it’s sold!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom