NTD (New Toy Day) - Guitarlift

GTCGTC Frets: 263
edited March 2021 in Acoustics
I'm a great fan of the use of guitar supports to get the most ergonomic and comfortable position for playing. Very recently I've tried the "Guitarlift" - purchased from the London Guitar Studio for £75. I went for the large model.

The concept is very simple but ingenious and it works brilliantly. The suction pads on the back of the guitar hold it very securely, allowing a wide flexibility in positioning the guitar. If you have a number of guitars it is a doddle to remove and attach to other instruments. It is also very easy to experiment to find the best playing position for you.

It is also suitable for left-handers like me. It is just a case of unscrewing the suction cups and attaching them to the other side of the backplate.

I've included the following video for more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehWnm9Ac-ts
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you have to fit it with the guitar face down, how can you tell it's positioned correctly? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    edited March 2021
    If you have to fit it with the guitar face down, how can you tell it's positioned correctly? 
    You do not need to fit it face down. You just sit with it positioned upright over your thigh in the usual playing position and just place the guitar back on to the suckers into your preferred position. It is very quick and just as easy to remove or reposition (really useful if experimenting.)
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Will admit when I first saw one it felt like a solution looking for a problem but if it works for you that's awesome.

Doesn't feel like it will give me any more than my standard guitar rest, and does feel expensive for what it is. Would be interesting to try one to confirm / confound my thoughts though.
    edited March 2021
    Bezzer said:
    Will admit when I first saw one it felt like a solution looking for a problem but if it works for you that's awesome.

Doesn't feel like it will give me any more than my standard guitar rest, and does feel expensive for what it is. Would be interesting to try one to confirm / confound my thoughts though.
    Considering the materials, it is expensive. It is very simple in concept and very easy to copy (it is patented). However, it is a brilliant idea.

I've tried several different guitar supports / rests over the years including the Ergoplay Troster, Gitano, Dynarette cushion and my previous favourite, the US-made neck-up.

For sheer versatility and stability, this is now my favourite. What is your current rest?
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Just a pretty standard ergoplay tappert when I need one. I’m mostly playing standing at the moment though so less of an issue.
  • I can see one possible advantage in that it should hold the back of the guitar slightly away from your body, and perhaps help it resonate more. However I would like to see "guaranteed not to damage the finish of your guitar" with this. 
    Bezzer said:
    Just a pretty standard ergoplay tappert when I need one. I’m mostly playing standing at the moment though so less of an issue.
    Well - If it works for you (as it does for many) then that's great
    I can see one possible advantage in that it should hold the back of the guitar slightly away from your body, and perhaps help it resonate more. However I would like to see "guaranteed not to damage the finish of your guitar" with this. 
    I've heard this possible advantage mentioned too - but I can't say I've noticed any difference. Regarding the guitar finish, it uses the same type of suction cups that the Ergoplay, Gitano and Neck-Up uses. It shouldn't cause any problems with any normal gloss lacquer but, like those other types, needs the protective discs if used with matt or polished finishes. I've got no qualms about using it with any of my guitars.
    I can see one possible advantage in that it should hold the back of the guitar slightly away from your body, and perhaps help it resonate more. However I would like to see "guaranteed not to damage the finish of your guitar" with this. 
    One of the reasons I went off the metal type of support (e.g. Gitano, Ergoplay) was the danger of it slipping and the metal body scratching the guitar. This did actually happen to me with a Gitano. 

That is why I moved on to the soft leather Neck-Up - although it works better and is more secure if you have an end strap button on your guitar. It smells lovely too!

I think the GuitarLift is the most secure of the lot - although I would hesitate to try and repeat the demonstration shown in the video of lifting my guitar up by it from face down!
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    If it works for you great but it’s not something either of those girls needed If you’ve seen them play before they were paid to advertise it.
    Another gimmick that will probably disappear off the face of this earth before I finish typing this post
    edited March 2021
    Mudcrutch said:
    If it works for you great but it’s not something either of those girls needed If you’ve seen them play before they were paid to advertise it.
    Another gimmick that will probably disappear off the face of this earth before I finish typing this post
    If this is a just a gimmick then so are all the other guitar supports which have been used by many, many other guitarists for years for both live performance and studio use. IMO, although this maybe relatively new to the market, on balance it is the best guitar support I've come across.