Hondo HLP-2N restoration

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Deadman said:
    That looks wonderful. Great job and I love the contrast!
    Thanks .

I am very happy with colour and finish on it .
    Tbh , I didn't expect it to be that good ,as it is second guitar I have sprayed .
    Though I did ask quite a few questions as well as read loads of other similar threads .
    The fretboard forums rocks :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Next on the schedule are pickup rings and covers , which are currently with platers .

Then there is a custom made neck plate too , which is going to get laser engraving on it .

edited July 2021
    The plan with pickup covers ( made out of aluminium ) is to glue them lightly  in couple of  places ( for easier removal if I decide to change pickups ) using 1.2mm strips of copper plate attached to the back of the pickup .
    Hopefully this will do the grounding trick , as soldering it together is out of question.

I was thinking of using conducive epoxy ( silver epoxy ) , but the price of it put me right off !
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3853
    Jazzthat said:
    Deadman said:
    That looks wonderful. Great job and I love the contrast!
    Thanks .

I am very happy with colour and finish on it .
    Tbh , I didn't expect it to be that good ,as it is second guitar I have sprayed .
    Though I did ask quite a few questions as well as read loads of other similar threads .
    The fretboard forums rocks :)
    I remember your headstock woes! All a distant memory now. Mate I’ve been a spray painter for 33 years and counting and I can honestly I haven’t done better myself. Well done.
    Pickups rings and covers have come back from plating today . Covers aren't glued to pickups yet , but a quick mock up how they look on the guitar .

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • More problems ( with intonation )  and solutions provided by knowledgeable forum members :)
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3049685#Comment_3049685
  • The Hondo is almost finished and all is left now , is to add few bits like truss rod cover , toggle switch ring and tip some screws here and there .

Few photos of the progress 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And the bridge post . I was waiting probably 2 months for them to be made , but finally got them !
    The ones with short knurling on , are the original graphtech , and other ones are made to suit oversized holes (12.5mm ) 
  • And I forgot about neck plate , which I am also waiting for my mate to do . 
    Hopefully next week or so .
    Here is the overdone design with my forum logo  :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    probably the nicest hondo ever, well done
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    A little neck joint cover like Gibson put on SGs would make that look much nicer. You could even engrave some text on it to make it look less like it’s just hiding something…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    A little neck joint cover like Gibson put on SGs would make that look much nicer. You could even engrave some text on it to make it look less like it’s just hiding something…
    There was one originally on it and I could cut one to hide the obvious repair :) , but I am still thinking , whether to add scratch plate or not . 
    I have to say , I am not huge fan of it on guitar , though it does prevent finish from becoming a mess .

• Sarge said:
    probably the nicest hondo ever, well done
    Yeah , I am love with this beauty :) . I can't build a guitar from scratch , but at least I have learned from the forum how to make a disastrous one looking gorgeous .

Despite this being old budget guitar with shoddy plywood and plague of issues , it actually is by far the most resonating one I have come across .
    When I played it yesterday for a bit , I thought I had turned reverb knob on amp a bit more than usual . 
    Turned out it was guitar itself ! 
    I think it proves , that it is  not necessary expensive wood or brand , that makes it resonating well .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Jazzthat said:

I think it proves , that it is  not necessary expensive wood or brand , that makes it resonating well .
    Well, it is basically a semi-acoustic :).

Just that the back is very thick and the air space is very thin compared to a 335 ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Jazzthat said:

Well, it is basically a semi-acoustic :).

Just that the back is very thick and the air space is very thin compared to a 335 ;).
    Oh I didn't realize , that this might be it !