Songs that make you want to learn other instruments.

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Penny Lane, Piccolo trumpet.

I tried to play one a few times and found it imposisble
    and I was Grade 7 on  a normal trumpet!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Possibly the only thing I have in common with HM the Queen is that we are both big George Formby fans.  One day when I have far too much spare time I intend to learn all his songs and the Ukulele solos which are a lot harder then you might think.  I have just about mastered the thumb drag thing but I reckon I need to spend a lot of money on a really good uke... that's what too many years of playing the guitar does to you ...   
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    edited March 2021
    mrkb said:
    I came in here to add the same, Black Crowe's "Descending."  Intro and outro.  Lovely piece.

Also, the drums on "Everlong".  Probably not that complicated, but the speed and energy, as with a lot of Dave Grohl stuff.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Rustylee said:
    Always fancied a Saxophone so I got one. Man that is hard, back to the Guitar sharpish!
    Got an old French Horn here and tried our Drummer's tenor Sax, seemed to be able to get a tune out of both straight away.  Then someone said play a tune on the French horn then and I forgot how to even get a noise out of it.  I think it's all in your head.  Both instruments are arguably easier to play well than the guitar. Muscle memory aside though, if you're frantically masturbating on the thing like a 13 year old and you have a tune in your head, it's gonna come out sooner or later.  Love Dougie MacLean's The Gael and got a violin, after some vague memory of having a go when I was young.  Managed to get it done, but no way I'd learn the instrument, it's shit.  I mean, I respect the instrument and people who can play it and I like the dissonance factor and the fretless thing, but the tone just doesn't motivate me enough to pull me through to practice enough. Also it's right in our ear and there's no volume control.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Any song with a really great Guitarist.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959
    Waiting on a friend by the stones makes me want to play the sax every time.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387

Baritone Sax!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    anything by Augustus Pablo partly because his use of the melodica is so haunting and partly because you feel surely it can't be all that difficult....can it...

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • NyquistNyquist Frets: 2
    Green Onions - Hammond organ
    I've been trying for about 10 months! I've got to grips with a load of other songs but that one is hard (too many black notes, for one thing)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    I bought a cheap and nasty mandolin in order to learn this song and a couple of others from the same soundtrack.

I learnt then, realised there was nothing else I wanted to learn on it as I wouldn't have time to get into proper bluegrass mandolin, then gave it away to a chap who, despite chasing me several times whilst awaiting me to drop it off for him, is yet to say thank you for it several years down the line.

I also realised this song sounded better on guitar anyway when I do it...
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Flashlight - for that amazing synth bass line 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    One of the first tunes I learnt after I could play trombone was Geno by Dexys Midnight Runners. I ended up doing an arrangement of it for brass band.

It's amusing to hear properly trained trombone players attempt to play it, as the blastiness of it goes against what they've been taught.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • When I first heard Toto and started to delve into their back catalogue in the mid 90’s, all I wanted to do was play the drums. Jeff Porcaro’s parts were so tactile and musical. They just draw you in!!
  • Ralph Vaughn Williams - The Lark Ascending

Beethoven - Violin Concerto

I don't know if I want to play violin or compose classical music... I watched the Aurora Orchestra play Richard Ayres No. 52 (exploring Beethoven's discovery of his deafness and sharing the news with his brothers - as Richard himself was going deaf) - the piece tries to describe the artefacts that interfere with normal sounds so we all can feel a little of what Beethoven felt... then they played Beethoven's violin concerto, led by Nicola Benedetti (written 4 years after discovering he was losing his hearing) - full of fire, determination and joy - I had something in my eye was all - I wasn't crying, you were crying! (what an absolute fighter he must have been!)

This Wednesday - Aurora Orchestra play The Firebird Suite as part of the proms with an introduction that's a must for any Zappa fans (Stravinsky was one of his role-models) it explains some of the theory and "theft" involved - We watched it on Sunday in one of their rural performances... The Firebird Suite has been a favourite of mine for about 30 years all told. I'm not a fan of the proms or a good percentage of the audience at any performance (what Theodore Adornos described as 'Jealous Listeners' .. "I prefer the blah-blah version..." ) - but the rooms this stuff is played in is a big part of the sound, and the audience are part of the acoustics (if they could just shut up about what Vivian is doing in Sicily this month, that'd be reet grand)

Aside from that Billy Taylor - made me want to play Piano

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Greg Howard playing Charmed life on Chapman stick - That first melodic bit, lovely!

• Anything by Larkin Poe gets me lookin at lap steels, but in the end I just stuck one of those raised nuts on an electric, tuned it to G, realised I was rubbish at it and took it off again.

Actually does lap steel count as another instrument?
  • Sambostar said:
    What is it? Flute and/or beer bottles?
  • axisus said:
    Greg Howard playing Charmed life on Chapman stick - That first melodic bit, lovely!

I fell for this too...how hard can it be, right? ;)
  • BorkBork Frets: 255
    edited August 2021
    I have musical taste that is verging on camp.  Only because music these days is more about feeling good than intellectual challenge.  So, I'm tossing any sense of musical credibility to the winds in the interests of at least making a contribution here

So...drums...Marc Cerrone.

http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=77uYNp4vQRU

In fact I'd never heard of him when I decided to take up drums but the guy who inspired me played a lot like him - solid, metronomic, four to the floor and in the pocket.  I still gravitate towards drummers who can nail the groove solidly to the wall...like Marc Cerrone.

Piano - or more specifically, rhodes...Selan.  We auditioned a keyboardist for my dance band many years ago.  He was Australian and turned up with a Nord Electro II, plugged it in and played a few inversions like Selan and all 10 of us stopped what we were doing went dead silent and just watched him, while the hair on the back of our necks collectively stood up.  We begged him to join up but he decided to emigrate back to Australia instead.  That was the one that got away and I've never had had such an intense aethetic reaction to any instrument since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmJCAR6qArE

So yeah, rhodes like Selan.  Master of those inversions and maintaining a tonal centre through a chord progression, a bit like Nile Rodgers.

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom