Frank Worthington

What's Hot
kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
Very sad to hear of the death of a great footballing entertainer

Frank Worthington: Former England striker dies aged 72 following long illness - BBC Sport
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7107
    Proper player from footballs greatest era before all the athletes took over.  RIP Elvis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22730

I don't remember his playing career but I always thought he was an amazing character when he appeared on TV (Saint & Greavsie, probably) with his moustache and his slicked-back hair.  They certainly don't make footballers like that any more.

And how brilliant is this picture?  He looks like he should be in The Sweeney or The Professionals (or Target!)

Frank Worthington

• HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 538
    For those who don't remember him from 'The Big Match' etc check out his goal for Bolton vs Ipswich.

Was certainly one of the characters I remember from the 70's. RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 232
    RIP another 70s legend, I remember him on "Come Dine with Me", serving up avocado vinaigrette involved half an avocado bathed in vinegar...!
  • maraudermarauder Frets: 133
    Used to see Frank in a local coffee shop until around 10 years ago.  Always happy to talk about how Leeds and Huddersfield were getting on.  He still lived in Huddersfield.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    Another link to my child hood now leaves us - I recall him as one of those 'flair' players of the day - Like Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Charlie George - On the day they had a bag full of tricks that could entertain and delight any football fan and make them unplayable

I wonder if he'd have been a 'bigger star' if the move to Anfield had have gone ahead - And more England caps

RIP Frank 
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    I served him years ago when I used to work in Selfridges in my late teens/ early 20s. He was brilliant and looked like a cowboy, I recognised him as my dad has shown me videos none of the other lads could believe he used to be a footy player!
    Proper bloke.
    RIP
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    HerrMetal said:
    For those who don't remember him from 'The Big Match' etc check out his goal for Bolton vs Ipswich.

Was certainly one of the characters I remember from the 70's. RIP.
    'Kinell that was beautiful :)
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 657
    Great guy, Brilliant player... Workingman's George Best....
    RIP. Frank
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    edited March 2021
    I knew of him most when he had a stint at Birmingham. He was the player with most flair we had had since Trevor Francis burst onto the scene, not that we’ve had many contenders through the years. He was a pleasure to watch. 

Notice the ref applauding in the clip above. No matter who you support, seeing goals like that remind you of why you’re a fan.

RIP Frank.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Still the best goal.............ever!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    edited March 2021
    When Joe Mercer was briefly England manager he gave Frank a run in the national side as "a treat for the fans..."   It was worth it just to see his warm up, Frank could practically make a football talk.