Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    Love Tom Petty, love Wildflowers, would love a J200...but what is that pickguard?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5423
    What is it with giant companies releasing all these dead person signature guitars? I think it is disgusting the way that they brand guitars "Jimi Hendrix Signature" or "Tom Petty Signature" when the artist can't object because he is dead. And I don't bloody care what the lawyers acting as his estate think they can monetise.

The one and only exception is this. Suppose a long-term artist endorser dies. Example: suppose Tommy Emmanuel falls off the perch. He's been playing and endorsing one particular Maton model for many years. Fair enough to carry that tradition on after his death.

But suddenly deciding to have a Tom Petty Gibson or a Charlie Pride Yamaha or a Spencer Davis Eastman or a Charlie Daniels Taylor sucks.

Yes, yes, Petty did own and play an SJ-200. But it was a long, long way away from being his signature guitar. If you were going to have a real Tom Petty Signature guitar, it would be a Strat, a Ricky, or a Guild 12-string.

Crass, Gibson, crass.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    edited March 2021
    Tannin said:

Yes, yes, Petty did own and play an SJ-200. But it was a long, long way away from being his signature guitar. If you were going to have a real Tom Petty Signature guitar, it would be a Strat, a Ricky, or a Guild 12-string.

Or a Tom Petty signature Martin: https://www.soundaffects.com/pre-owned-c101/hd40-tom-petty-limited-edition-acoustic-guitar-pre-owned-p9479

I was surprised seeing the new J200 yesterday... I've seen a lot of TP videos over the years, but haven't seen one with that pickguard before. I always picture this one: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    I'm a Gibson fan, but it's hard to love the company at times. I'll take the Martin anytime (well if it wasn't 5k). The Gibson is horrendous. 
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    Just read the Gibson is $10,000!! Have they completely lost the plot...?!? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    jhumber said:
    Tannin said:

Or a Tom Petty signature Martin: https://www.soundaffects.com/pre-owned-c101/hd40-tom-petty-limited-edition-acoustic-guitar-pre-owned-p9479

I was surprised seeing the new J200 yesterday... I've seen a lot of TP videos over the years, but haven't seen one with that pickguard before. I always picture this one: 

Apparently he did have one like Gibson has just released

New Tom Petty signature acoustic guitar the SJ-200 Wildflower available  now from Gibson - Music News - ABC News Radio
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I thought he wrote most of his stuff on that old Epiphone Frontier...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    jhumber said:
    Tannin said:

That Martin you provided a link to looks lovely