Composition Challenge #32

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
edited June 2021 in Making Music
Time for round #32 of the Fretboard Composition Challenge.

Every few months there'll be a composition challenge. It revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing and recording music.

No prizes for this challenge. It's just for fun, a spur to creating, sharing, discussing music/recording and learning. Plus a way of testing the water with your creations and getting some feedback.

GUIDELINES -THEME
Thanks to @Springywheel for suggesting a theme, which is: "a surf rock track in the style of Dick Dale, Ventures etc."

To encourage entries the theme isn't mandatory, but you might get more votes if you do something that's in some way linked to the theme. That depends on how individuals choose to vote.

Compose a tune, or recycle something you've composed previously.

Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory.

DATES AND VOTING
The submission deadline is midnight 30th June 2021
Voting will start soon after the submission deadline and run for about two weeks, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The entry with the most points wins.
The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends.

SUBMISSION DETAILS
All recordings and pictures need to be sent via email to Compositions@theFB.co.uk
Songs to be submitted in mp3 format.
Pictures to be in jpg or png format.

Entries will be posted in a playlist below as they arrive:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/composition-challenge-32

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 251
    edited March 2021
    I've almost finished mixing a song which I was intending to enter for the new challenge, but it doesn't fit the theme at all. Are we limited to one entry per person? If not I could enter it, and see if I can do a more theme compliant entry after?
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited March 2021
    Habanero said:
    I've almost finished mixing a song which I was intending to enter for the new challenge, but it doesn't fit the theme at all. Are we limited to one entry per person? If not I could enter it, and see if I can do a more theme compliant entry after?

The theme isn't mandatory as it says in the OP.

If you wanted to give a nod to the theme, perhaps you could slap a bit of twangy guitar on what you've got

It's not a competition.
    :)
    The theme isn't mandatory as it says in the OP.

If you wanted to give a nod to the theme, perhaps you could add a bit of twangy guitar to what you've got :)

Ok thanks, no problem. I'll start a new (ad)venture, as there tons of time. :)

• Excellent theme, I’ve been dabbling in some surf recently. No need for vocals too. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    Would any kind folks be able to share some links or titles for some good examples on this? I think I know what it means but I just want to make sure

Was Link Wray surf?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    What a great idea.  I know next to nothing about surf, and I don’t know if I’ll have time to put a track together for this one, but it’s a good excuse to research the genre.
    edited March 2021
    Would any kind folks be able to share some links or titles for some good examples on this? I think I know what it means but I just want to make sure

I not 100% sure either, but there are plenty of examples if you search 'Surf guitar' or 'Surf Rock' on Youtube.

Or you go somewhat abstract and bend the theme idea - 'Surfing With the Alien' anyone?

It's not a competition.

Was Link Wray surf?

I was doing some research last night and Link Wray's "Rumble" was given as a famous example. It seems he's also known for another example of "Apache" which many know better as being by The Shadows.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    now then, how do I integrate a surf guitar type thing with my usual electronic sort of thing?? Hmm.....a challenge indeed, got me thinking......

Start point might be my Danelectro 63 baritone.......
    Snap said:
    now then, how do I integrate a surf guitar type thing with my usual electronic sort of thing?? Hmm.....a challenge indeed, got me thinking......

It will definitely look the part...
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    Thanks chaps I'll have a go
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Habanero said:
    Snap said:

It will definitely look the part...
    you know what, it is a cracking guitar, I really like it. and it does thick meaty metal crunch quite well (with a pedal or two). I think it cost me 160 quid new from Peter Cook's, probably 10 years ago, maybe more. I think it still has the same strings on it too!
  • I can name one surf rock track, Miserlou.  And that's it.  I'm going to try and avoid to listening to too much but give this a go.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    no quite sure my interpretation is "exactly" surf rock, but err, it does have surf sounds in it....
    edited April 2021
    Snap said:
    no quite sure my interpretation is "exactly" surf rock, but err, it does have surf sounds in it....

The interpretation can be as loose as you like, plus the theme isn't mandatory.

I was going to use surf sounds. You beat me to it.

It's not a competition.
    more guitar this time!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Snap said:
    more guitar this time!

More guitar on mine as well. I've had a brain 'wave' (excuse the pun), so I won't be using surf sounds in mine.

It's not a competition.
    I'm at the mixing stage of my attempt, and it does have surf sounds.
    Done mine and it's in the playlist.

I sort out a picture later.

It's not a competition.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited April 2021
    Done mine and it's in the playlist.

I sort out a picture later.

Nice medley!! I don't know if it was intentional, but you even managed to slip in a few bars of Peter Gunn....