Little NAD! Fender Pro Junior

What's Hot
BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
edited March 2021 in Amps
So, I was on the lookout for a small, simple, low-cost combo and this little thing popped up in the classifieds...On paper, it looked as though it would fit the bill so I took a punt....I'm pleasantly surprised! It packs a lot of volume and punch in a small package and I love the simplicity of a volume and tone control. It's going to be a little while yet before I can get somewhere where I can turn it up but I've already tried hooking it up to different cabs - running it through an oversized 1x12 MJW cab with an Eminence Cannabis Rex sounded terrific, even at low volume. From reading up on the Pro Junior, there are some reports that they hiss and hum but this example doesn't seem to exhibit that - maybe a little when its turned right up but no more than my Mesa amps. Maybe Fender have refined things on the MkIV? At home volumes, it's strictly clean - by the time it starts to border on overdrive, it's WAY too loud for home. A Nobels ODR mini sounds lovely into it for some grit at bedroom-friendly volume.I can see why these little Pro Juniors have the following that they do and it's a nice addition to the collection. Cheers @surfguy13 !

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Nice, that looks lovely. 

hope you're very happy together. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    If it’s good enough for Jeff Beck...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Congrats and welcome to the PJ club, you'll love it. Your tweed version looks the absolute bollocks as well!

When you've gotten used to it you really should try it through something like a 1x12 or larger cab, its a great sound!
    How very rock and roll
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    @benmurray85 I'm really enjoying it so far. It has the Jensen P10R alnico speaker and can be quite a chimy, bright amp - I generally run the tone between 2-4 (control goes to 12). I've run it through some 1x12 cabs and it does sound nice- I'm looking forward to being able to turn it up- can't really get past 3 on the volume at home. Really pleased with it so far though and loving the simplicity
  • Beexter said:
    @benmurray85 I'm really enjoying it so far. It has the Jensen P10R alnico speaker and can be quite a chimy, bright amp - I generally run the tone between 2-4 (control goes to 12). I've run it through some 1x12 cabs and it does sound nice- I'm looking forward to being able to turn it up- can't really get past 3 on the volume at home. Really pleased with it so far though and loving the simplicity
    My band mate uses the same amp but has it plugged into a Jensen loaded 4x10. Defeats the object of having a small amp but does sound good!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Pro juniors are great little amps, hnad! 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31570
    Beexter said:
    My band mate uses the same amp but has it plugged into a Jensen loaded 4x10. Defeats the object of having a small amp but does sound good!
    Not at all, I always regarded my Pro Jr as a valve head with a handy built-in speaker.

They're awesome through a Marshall 2x12. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    p90fool said:
    Beexter said:
    Not at all, I always regarded my Pro Jr as a valve head with a handy built-in speaker.

They're awesome through a Marshall 2x12. 
    Absolute wisdom right there! 
    How very rock and roll
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Just felt compelled to write an update on this little amp...I've literally played it every day since it arrived and haven't switched on any of my other amps.
    I'm really enjoying it despite not being able to turn it up past 3 on the volume.
    It takes pedals well and I'm looking forward to being able to get it into breakup territory once i get the chance. That said,  I imagine it's going to be quite loud by the time it breaks up with single coils.
    It was never on my radar previously but I'm very pleased to have discovered it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom