Oil finish on body for natural feel

What's Hot
I'm currently working with GSP on a body and neck for a project. When I say working with, of course I mean issuing demands of and Graham is doing all of the work. Anyway, the guitar is koa top over roasted ash and I am planning to keep as natural a finish/feel as possible. I am going to use Tru Oil, but have only used this before with lots of coats to build up a bit of a clear coat. For those of you in the know, what is the best way to keep it as natural as possible, but still offering some protection? I'm expecting just a few coats and plenty of sanding.

To provide some context, here is where 'we' are up to so far. Yes I know 'we' have done a good job!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4483
    Paging @WezV ;
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    I have done just two coats of Tru Oil on necks before and it is silky smooth, same with a Rosewood Strat body, which had only one coat and is amazing.....l if you are happy for a sunk into the grain type finish (my personal favourite) I would try just a couple of coats, if its not enough apply some more....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 16642
    edited March 2021
    I'm not familiar with how an oil finish would work on these woods, generally wouldn't recommend it on ash, but this may be different 

I would rub your coat on and viff straight off.   You can try the method I describe in the really useful posts too.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I get where you are going with this and as said just a wipe on wipe off approach will give you a little basic protection or if you want more gloss then follow WezV's excellent article on how to get it to a shine. 

All that said I love Koa and was blown away a while back I think it was SC Relics sprayed one of Grahams Koa topped bodies and the wood just came alive for some straight-up clear coat nitro. 

There is some nice figure in that top and not sure Tru Oil will pop it anywhere close to how that body looked and to me its always a shame to dumb down the look of Koa but I get it.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    I get where you are going with this and as said just a wipe on wipe off approach will give you a little basic protection or if you want more gloss then follow WezV's excellent article on how to get it to a shine. 

All that said I love Koa and was blown away a while back I think it was SC Relics sprayed one of Grahams Koa topped bodies and the wood just came alive for some straight-up clear coat nitro. 

There is some nice figure in that top and not sure Tru Oil will pop it anywhere close to how that body looked and to me its always a shame to dumb down the look of Koa but I get it.
    One coat of sealer then sanded flat -

https://i.imgur.com/uniF6CH.jpg

Fast forward to the final polish -

https://i.imgur.com/i4gjRu3.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peanutspeanuts Frets: 179
    edited April 2021

exactly my findings with clear coat nitro (after some sanding sealer) straight onto highly figured wood (just make sure grain is filled if necessary, depending on wood species, and properly sanded between coats.)

Used tru-oil & others - Crimson Guitars proprietary finishing oil & also just pure tung oil on its own - can be very effective, simple & quick for either a very raw wood natural finish or highly polished with a lot more elbow work.

Have also used Renaissance wax as another option, again a very natural finish with little work required, but no real protection from moisture.
  • I'm a few coats of tru oil in now, you can have a sneak peak

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peanutspeanuts Frets: 179
    edited April 2021
    I'm a few coats of tru oil in now, you can have a sneak peak

Fantastic work! Looking classy sunglasses how many coats is that now?
  • I think that's 4, wet sanded. Not sure how many to do really, I don't want a coating/gloss
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    If you like it now I would stop there. I’m not normally a fan of that sort of wood top, but that one looks really good, and much better for not being glossy. Don’t overdo it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I kept going for a few coats and a few sanding backs, and having just given it a bit of gunstock wax I couldn't be happier with the satin, and it feels well protected.

The roasted ash goes a lovely chocolate brown with the oil, there's no stain on that at all

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    tFB Trader
    I'm a few coats of tru oil in now, you can have a sneak peak

That's lovely, looks like tiger's eye
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom