Nux mighty plug - the best thing ever

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
Okay, not the best thing ever, but it's close.

It's a tiny thing. You plug it into your guitar, plug headphones in, connect to app and save tones (super smooth, easy and seamless, all worked first time). Set your sounds up, disconnect from the amp and then Bluetooth a backing track or song to it. Play along. Learn better.

Cost me £52 on amazon. Two minor complaints: is it's built a bit flimsy, and the models are not really "models" in the realistic modern sense. 

For example, take the plexi. It doesn't sound like a plexi - it's got more gain available, by far. Think modded plexi. But, to most people, it's capable of copping the sort of sound one might think of when you think overdriven plexi, just turn the gain down to about 5-10 percent. The cleans are labelled as a twin, a tweed deluxe and jc120 but in reality it's more fat clean, bright clean and a hairy dirty fat fuzzy not-clean. They're fine. 

The high gain models are not for me. The plexi model does everything I need, with a tubescreamer model in front I can jam to trivium. 

I've played along to some backing tracks and it's absolutely fantastic. Sounds much better than an amplug. Has stereo effects, like chorus and a ping pong delay. The reverbs are brilliant, except the shimmer one. 

Buy it. Don't even think about it. If you want a silent late night practice solution, just buy it. If you want more cleans, get the Fender mustang one, it probably has better low gain stuff. This is honestly the best bit of kit I've bought this year, probably ever, bar my first guitar.

Provided it doesn't break!! 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    I've got the Mighty Air.
    It's very good especially on headphones as I think the cabs are IRs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Looks great! 
  • I've got the Mighty Air.
    It's very good especially on headphones as I think the cabs are IRs.

They do claim they are IRs and they make an enormous difference to the sound. Plexi is set to a 412 greenback but changing it to a different cab can give a more modern tone. 

Don't get me wrong guys - this isn't going to put the willies on your helix. But it's an incredibly functional piece of kit that sounds great and works brilliantly. Jamming late at night or early morning has never been easier. 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    So I'm guessing it makes my latest completed board redundant then?
    I would get one, if you hadn't mentioned the 'flimsy' bit.
    Was looking at this and the Fender compared as a dinky recording solution, because I don't really like practising with headphones anyway, tinnitus etc, but I do like the idea of finding a way to get a decent tone recorded with as little latency as possible.
    How long do you think it will last into a telecaster, without using some form of cable extension?
    Might be worth using one, because that jointed input looks like it is a weak point on both of these things.
    Even £50 is a lot, if it gets snapped off easily.

• andy_k said:
    So I'm guessing it makes my latest completed board redundant then?
    I would get one, if you hadn't mentioned the 'flimsy' bit.
    Was looking at this and the Fender compared as a dinky recording solution, because I don't really like practising with headphones anyway, tinnitus etc, but I do like the idea of finding a way to get a decent tone recorded with as little latency as possible.
    How long do you think it will last into a telecaster, without using some form of cable extension?
    Might be worth using one, because that jointed input looks like it is a weak point on both of these things.
    Even £50 is a lot, if it gets snapped off easily.

Yes, your board is obsolete. Get with the times, grandad.

I'm not sure whether it's good for recording - there are YouTube reviews of it where they go direct and it's okay, but I'd probably not take it over a helix or pod, just for the greater realism in terms of getting controlled gain sounds.

It does feel a bit flimsy - I don't see why it wouldn't last on a tele, tbh. I'm using it with a les paul at the moment but I can try it with my thinline later - I'll let you know how it does with a recessed socket. 
    Shiiiit, just finished it as well, all analogue handmade built like brick shithouse pedals.
    Oh well, I would still look at getting a short M > F adaptor cable, so the Nux can be used, say, taped to a strap.
    Most of my playing is done sat down these days, and even a straight jack bugs me on a tele, haven't snapped one off yet, but it always a possibility.
  • andy_k said:
    Shiiiit, just finished it as well, all analogue handmade built like brick shithouse pedals.
    Oh well, I would still look at getting a short M > F adaptor cable, so the Nux can be used, say, taped to a strap.
    Most of my playing is done sat down these days, and even a straight jack bugs me on a tele, haven't snapped one off yet, but it always a possibility.
    Yes, actually, sitting with an lp isn't ideal. Fine on a stool, which I am - but if you are on a sofa, not so much. Your solution is a good one.

I'll give you £52 for your board and pedals, that way it's a simple trade! 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Glad you like it and my recommendation wasn't crap haha. The plexi sounds great on all the demos and that's what I would probably live on the whole time! Gonna pick one up soon too, I was going to get the Mustang Micro but it only seems to sound good for cleans.
  • TTBZ said:
    Glad you like it and my recommendation wasn't crap haha. The plexi sounds great on all the demos and that's what I would probably live on the whole time! Gonna pick one up soon too, I was going to get the Mustang Micro but it only seems to sound good for cleans.

Honestly, I'm blown away. Brilliant bit of practice kit. @monquixote recommended the amp to me, I imagine it's the same dsp thing inside mostly, but his one has speakers and some other bits. 

Flipping awesome. I will try it line out to a little mini hifi speaker thing in the kitchen tomorrow, see what it's like. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Yeah I think it's the same. The might air looks like a basic Bluetooth speaker you might find on Amazon so they've probably just wedged it in.
  • So adding to this:

I was hoping I could plug it into the ipad and use it to record to garageband but the ipad doesn't recognise it. There is ios firmware but I'm not sure how to install to ipad or whether it's even compatible (I think it's an asio driver?).

So, sadly, no recording to ipad for me yet. It should work into a pc via audacity or similar though. Garageband would have been so convenient though. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401
    I've got one and have to agree it's the best £50 you can spend on a practice tool. the sounds are very good, the built in drums are useful and you can just BT your Spot or YT to it to jam along. Other things I use it for are 

Use aux lead from Nux to iMac stereo line in ... great for Mainstage 
    Recording YT videos ... I go Nux - USB audio interface - iPhone camera adapter ... good audio straight onto video 
    Connect aux lead from Nux to aux in on my wife's car, instant amp and sounds pretty good
    Do the same for bluetooth speaker, instant busking amp
    Wire up a 3.5mm stereo to mono 1/4 jack lead and just plug it into the input or effects return of any amp. That will be useful for me when I go back to face to face teaching round students houses

Another thing is it takes pedals fine, if you put a drive pedal in front of the OD patch it turns into a massive heavy rock sound. Just plug the Nux into the output of your pedal board

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    So adding to this:

I was hoping I could plug it into the ipad and use it to record to garageband but the ipad doesn't recognise it. There is ios firmware but I'm not sure how to install to ipad or whether it's even compatible (I think it's an asio driver?).

So, sadly, no recording to ipad for me yet. It should work into a pc via audacity or similar though. Garageband would have been so convenient though. 
    Been a long time since I used Ipad for recording, but can you not just use it as a line in device, via headhone out of Nux, into line in -via- Ipad interface, monitor via Garageband?
    I had a lot of fun with this,
    https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/boss-micro-br-23980
    and find myself still using tracks recorded on it, 
    even after I upgraded to this,
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/recording/digital-recorders/handheld-pocket-recorders/boss-micro-br-br-80-portable-digital-recorder
    and when the moment hits with my phone, I just hit record on the voice memo app.
    Saw your frustrations in another thread, looking for android solutions.
    Honestly, the heaviest sounding recording I have done to date came from option 1 above, and I am just adding new drums to it today.
    Sometimes it is great to be living in the modern world.
  • Former member here and just re-signed up to say thanks to ThePrettyDamned.
    Currently ampless and figured I'd get a  second hand Zoom fx  for headphone playing..  and this thread shifted me to the Nux Plug. It's bloody great, knocks spots off my Mustang III's fx.
    Plexi is awesome and had fun with the acoustic plus drive, mods and delays to get very sparkly ambient type things.
    Not sure if you know there's an app  called Mightier Amp, that allows preset saving - yay - and any colour shortcut can load any of the amps /fx etc.
    Either app works a treat too.

• handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    Is the mightier amp app just on Android? Can’t find it on the Apple App Store. 
  • Is the mightier amp app just on Android? Can’t find it on the Apple App Store. 

It is - it's called mighty amp I think. I have it on the ipad and on my android phone. Flawless with both - connect it up to change and save settings, then connect using the conventional Bluetooth to stream music to it and play along. 
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    I have that app. My question was in response to the comment above mine suggesting there was also another app with extra options and presets. 
  • I have that app. My question was in response to the comment above mine suggesting there was also another app with extra options and presets. 
    Hum, I found it on android. Looks to be a third party developer and maybe in testing phase. I don't think I'll use it... 
  • crosstownvampcrosstownvamp Frets: 285
    edited April 2021
    Hum, I found it on android. Looks to be a third party developer and maybe in testing phase. I don't think I'll use it... 
    Works perfectly for me - there's a thread the developer adds to on  The Gear Page.
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/nux-mighty-plug-headphone-interface.2119324/page-20