Nux mighty plug - the best thing ever

What's Hot

Comments

• handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    Ah so it is just android then. 

I've been super impressed with the mighty plug for the money. A great way to get you playing more when you don't have space for an extra guitar room in the house and have to do all your playing around other people who are watching tv etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah so it is just android then. 

I've been super impressed with the mighty plug for the money. A great way to get you playing more when you don't have space for an extra guitar room in the house and have to do all your playing around other people who are watching tv etc.

It is genuinely incredible. 

So much fun, I don't faff with settings either - just clean or dirty and play. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    What does the Mighty Air sound like? 
    I need a battery powered small amp for playing outside.  If it’s a cheaper alternative to a THR5, could be useful. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    So you can record directly to an iPhone / iPad from the Nux Mighty plug and get that good audio directly onto your videos as you take them. Very useful for doing guitar videos and uploading to Youtube. 

To do it you need an iPhone / iPad camera adapter and a cheap powered USB hub. 

Here's the USB hub I'm using, £10.78

https://cpc.farnell.com/newlink/nlusb2-222/hub-4-port-usb2-0-external/dp/CS16383?st=powered usb hub

And iPhone camera adapter 

https://cpc.farnell.com/apple/mk0w2zm-a/apple-lightning-to-usb-3-camera/dp/CS32028?st=iphone camera adapter

Now this is a pricy item, I actually got mine from Currys returns on Ebay for £19. Buying a non genuine one isn't recommended as it either won't work or worse will cause problems with the phone. 

Connect the camera adapter into the iPhone. Connect the USB A of the camera adapter to the USB B port of the hub. Connect the Nux micro USB port to any USB A ports on the hub. Connect DC power to the hub, the one I've linked to comes with it's own 5V supply. 

Start the video ap on the iPhone and the Nux audio will go straight on the video. Monitor using the Nux headphone port. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    There seem to be two Mighty Plugs on Amazon. One at £50 and another at £57. The higher one says it is the MP2. Are there really two versions?

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    TheMarlin said:
    I need a battery powered small amp for playing outside.  If it’s a cheaper alternative to a THR5, could be useful. 

I've got one.
    It sounds good although it's easy to make the speakers fart out.
    Dave Simpson did a decent run through.
  • Danny1969 said:
    So you can record directly to an iPhone / iPad from the Nux Mighty plug and get that good audio directly onto your videos as you take them. Very useful for doing guitar videos and uploading to Youtube. 

To do it you need an iPhone / iPad camera adapter and a cheap powered USB hub. 

Here's the USB hub I'm using, £10.78

https://cpc.farnell.com/newlink/nlusb2-222/hub-4-port-usb2-0-external/dp/CS16383?st=powered usb hub

And iPhone camera adapter 

https://cpc.farnell.com/apple/mk0w2zm-a/apple-lightning-to-usb-3-camera/dp/CS32028?st=iphone camera adapter

Now this is a pricy item, I actually got mine from Currys returns on Ebay for £19. Buying a non genuine one isn't recommended as it either won't work or worse will cause problems with the phone. 

Connect the camera adapter into the iPhone. Connect the USB A of the camera adapter to the USB B port of the hub. Connect the Nux micro USB port to any USB A ports on the hub. Connect DC power to the hub, the one I've linked to comes with it's own 5V supply. 

Start the video ap on the iPhone and the Nux audio will go straight on the video. Monitor using the Nux headphone port. 

Fantastic! Exactly the info I needed. I got a cheap adapter but, following your advice, stopped trying to make it work for fear of bricking the ipad.

You can get refurbed ones from fonehaus a bit cheaper, apparently official. 
  • TheMarlin said:

I've got one.
    It sounds good although it's easy to make the speakers fart out.
    Dave Simpson did a decent run through.

@themarlin you can also run a 3.5mm cable to any other small speaker you have. I have not tested, but don't see why it wouldn't work with our little kitchen speaker.

It's mono though, so I lose the ping pong sound. The real thing I think has two little speakers in stereo, which is super nifty. 
    edited April 2021
    Yeah you can connect the Nux to a BT speaker using an Aux cable, same as you would an MP3 player. Our car has an aux input and the Nux sounds great through the car stereo. 

If you have a Mac then making a video with the Nux audio is as simple as connect Nux to computer using USB cable. Go to pref and change audio input from mic to Nux. Start Quicktime player, click new movie and hit record button. No drivers are necessary. 

Rather than plug the Nux into the guitar and running the USB cable to the computer or phone it's a better idea to use female to female convertor so you can run a guitar lead from guitar to Nux .... I just use a true byass pedal to do the same job as then the pedal doesn't need a battery  ....... a 6.3mmm headphone extension cable will work as well 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    Yeah you can connect the Nux to a BT speaker using an Aux cable, same as you would an MP3 player. Our car has an aux input and the Nux sounds great through the car stereo. 

If you have a Mac then making a video with the Nux audio is as simple as connect Nux to computer using USB cable. Go to pref and change audio input from mic to Nux. Start Quicktime player, click new movie and hit record button. No drivers are necessary. 

Rather than plug the Nux into the guitar and running the USB cable to the computer or phone it's a better idea to use female to female convertor so you can run a guitar lead from guitar to Nux .... I just use a true byass pedal to do the same job as then the pedal doesn't need a battery  ....... a 6.3mmm headphone extension cable will work as well 

That is super nifty.

I might just pick up a simple ipad interface that works with a line in. I assume I can just plug that in, open garageband and get recording - but instead of a dry guitar signal then processed by garageband I just use the processed nux signal. 
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    There seem to be two Mighty Plugs on Amazon. One at £50 and another at £57. The higher one says it is the MP2. Are there really two versions?
    I believe they are the same. I bought the cheaper one and it seems to be the same. I have no idea why there are 2 prices. 

FWIW I love the Nux mighty plug for simple quiet playing. I have bought a Boss GT pocket used on here to compare. 

I like the idea of more presets On the Boss and more control on board without having to use the app. Also the ability to switch patches automatically while playing along to YouTube at certain timestamps sounds cool. ...It is 4 times the cost though when bought new.

I doubt the Nux can be beaten for value and it does sound really good. One of the hardest sounds to do well digitally is Univibe and the Nux vibe is great. 

The reverbs and delays are also really good in it. 

I think the clean channel with the JC120 is best with the Plexi being ok but a bit too gainy for what I would prefer. Not a fan of the high gain sounds in it. 

It’s genius is in its simplicity and convenience for simply playing more when you don’t have your own space. 
  • There seem to be two Mighty Plugs on Amazon. One at £50 and another at £57. The higher one says it is the MP2. Are there really two versions?
    I believe they are the same. I bought the cheaper one and it seems to be the same. I have no idea why there are 2 prices. 

FWIW I love the Nux mighty plug for simple quiet playing. I have bought a Boss GT pocket used on here to compare. 

I like the idea of more presets On the Boss and more control on board without having to use the app. Also the ability to switch patches automatically while playing along to YouTube at certain timestamps sounds cool. ...It is 4 times the cost though when bought new.

I doubt the Nux can be beaten for value and it does sound really good. One of the hardest sounds to do well digitally is Univibe and the Nux vibe is great. 

The reverbs and delays are also really good in it. 

I think the clean channel with the JC120 is best with the Plexi being ok but a bit too gainy for what I would prefer. Not a fan of the high gain sounds in it. 

It’s genius is in its simplicity and convenience for simply playing more when you don’t have your own space. 

I'm in love with the plexi model. Doesn't really sound of behave like a plexi at all, but it does have the kids in the right place, not too much bass and the sort of gain you might expect when pushing it with a ds-1. That's probably slightly better for me anyway.

It even sounds good with the gain at 5-10 percent - more AC/DC I guess, but you can tell that wasn't what it was made for!

I really like the Fender twin model as well. Again, doesn't really sound like a twin, but it's a nice clean tone that can have a bit of hair. Sounds great with the vibe or stereo chorus.

I truly think they should release a high end version that's identical but has a USB C port instead, and is built more rugged. I'd pay double tbh, maybe even a bit more. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133

Cheers

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Danny1969 said:

Wow, you play your guitar in your car. I’m impressed .  You rock man ;) 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    sev112 said:
    Danny1969 said:

Wow, you play your guitar in your car. I’m impressed .  You rock man ;) 

Surely we have ALL tried it after the Top Gear skit where Clapton played through a Fiesta?

For some reason while trying to type "Clapton" I just typed "Claptatop" - might be losing it.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Just received mine and had a quick play on the Plexi amp - wow this is great! Amazing what you can get for £50 and glad I didn't spend the extra on the Fender one. What's crazy is that I spent £300 on a HX Stomp a while ago and it took a shit load of dialling in to sound right and I still wasn't fully convinced for Marshall tones. With this I've literally just loaded it up and selected the plexi amp with GB cab, turned down the gain control a bit and it sounds right. 

That 3rd party Mightier Amp app works perfectly too and I think will let you save any type of amp to each preset slot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Just received mine and had a quick play on the Plexi amp - wow this is great! Amazing what you can get for £50 and glad I didn't spend the extra on the Fender one. What's crazy is that I spent £300 on a HX Stomp a while ago and it took a shit load of dialling in to sound right and I still wasn't fully convinced for Marshall tones. With this I've literally just loaded it up and selected the plexi amp with GB cab, turned down the gain control a bit and it sounds right. 

That 3rd party Mightier Amp app works perfectly too and I think will let you save any type of amp to each preset slot. 

It truly is insane. I don't even use good headphones, I use my gaming headset. Sounds great. 
    edited April 2021

sev112 said:
    Danny1969 said:

Wow, you play your guitar in your car. I’m impressed .  You rock man  
    Lol, yeah hospitals don't allow anyone except patients in at the mo so when my daughter has an appointment I'm often sat in the car for 3 hours .... I take my Macbook, my kindle and sometimes a guitar  

The Nux MP is quite a sensation, all 3 people who saw mine have now brought their own. I have a custom cable now in production that sums the 3.5mm stereo feed into mono and terminates in a standard mono jack so you can use the Nux MP into a normal amp input. This is what I use for teaching, MP - lead - clean little Fender amp. Sounds great and I have the clean, crunch and distortion patches I need right there at the guitar end. 

If you put the Nux MP into the output of your last pedal on your pedal board and then run cans from it you get to enjoy all your pedals and the Nux speaker simulation, reverb etc. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, bit of fun this but basically USB cable straight from Nux into laptop, no drivers necessary, video done from webcam audio direct from Nux MP-1 

This is whats so good about it, just so easy to interface with and for £52 sounds great  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Danny1969 said:
    If you put the Nux MP into the output of your last pedal on your pedal board and then run cans from it you get to enjoy all your pedals and the Nux speaker simulation, reverb etc. 
    This is how I'm mostly going to use mine so I can make use of my Digitech Drop and play along to songs without having to change or retune my guitar. I wish there was a way to disable the amp model so I could plug it into the line out of a loadbox and have a nice simple IR/reverb/headphone amp/Bluetooth aux in/interface. I wonder if one of the acoustic amps would be flat enough to work like that?