Bright string recommendations please

What's Hot
Especially looking for strings bright in the low end and punchy mids. Grateful thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

  • ICBMICBM Frets: 55379
    D'Addario EJ phosphor bronze.

    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

    "Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 2805
    ICBM said:
    D'Addario EJ phosphor bronze.
    Wow,

    Strange how our ears work so differently, I'd never describe Phosphor Bronze as sounding bright, and neither do D'Addario who describe them as 'Warm and Full'

    I'd recommend 80/20's every time if you are looking for bright strings.


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BingManBingMan Frets: 29
    80/20 Elixirs always sound bright to my ear.
    but any 80/20 should give you ‘bright’ sound - but once they go dull they go really dull!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 612
    ICBM said:
    D'Addario EJ phosphor bronze.
    Would have to agree. If the the OP had stopped at bright then 80/20's would be my recommendation.Once punch gets mentioned EJ PB's all the way. Then again one man's bright is another man's thin and brash.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 55379
    Strange how our ears work so differently, I'd never describe Phosphor Bronze as sounding bright, and neither do D'Addario who describe them as 'Warm and Full'

    I'd recommend 80/20's every time if you are looking for bright strings.
    Yes - but they have no punch in the mids... they're bright and scooped.

    For bright *low end* (ie twang) and punchy mids, phosphor bronze is much better.

    artiebear said:

    If the the OP had stopped at bright then 80/20's would be my recommendation.Once punch gets mentioned EJ PB's all the way. Then again one man's bright is another man's thin and brash.
    Exactly.

    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

    "Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 370
    Brass is brighter than bronze is brighter than nickel. The differences between brands of the same type of string are mostly quite small, while the differences between the main alloy types are large. 

    Most acoustics are strung with phosphor bronze - that's an alloy of copper and tin with a little phosphorus added. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, typically 80% copper, 20% zinc. (You will often see it advertised as "80/20 bronze", which is just wrong - refer to any chemistry textbook.) Brass strings will bring you a good dose of extra zing, not just for the higher strings but particularly for the bass strings, where you will notice their extra snap and definition. The downside is that this may be too much of a good thing. Also, brass strings typically last maybe half as long as phosphor bronze. 

    Really, the only sensible thing to do is try a set. Pick whichever brand you prefer, it won't mater al that much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 55379
    Tannin said:

    Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, typically 80% copper, 20% zinc. (You will often see it advertised as "80/20 bronze", which is just wrong - refer to any chemistry textbook.)
    The name was invented by guitar string manufacturers because brass strings were previously associated with very cheap brands and they wanted to avoid the association. It's still brass though!

    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

    "Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • moremore Frets: 108
    edited March 30
    ICBM said:
    Tannin said:

    Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, typically 80% copper, 20% zinc. (You will often see it advertised as "80/20 bronze", which is just wrong - refer to any chemistry textbook.)
    The name was invented by guitar string manufacturers because brass strings were previously associated with very cheap brands and they wanted to avoid the association. It's still brass though!
     This is  right , and it would you would still  have difficulty  selling string marked Brass. Having a good bright tone is also   , I believe,  using the right gauges for the tuning you are using . Being able to adjust some of the strings slightly after tuning with a tuner . And I also believe hex core strings are slightly duller  than round ,  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 55379
    more said:

    And I also believe hex core strings are slightly duller  than round ,  
    I think it's the other way round - or more that hex core have a slightly rougher sound, round core are smoother and cleaner. That said, I think the only round cores I've used are Newtones so it's possible they vary a bit.

    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

    "Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • moremore Frets: 108
    ICBM said:
    more said:

    And I also believe hex core strings are slightly duller  than round ,  
    I think it's the other way round - or more that hex core have a slightly rougher sound, round core are smoother and cleaner. That said, I think the only round cores I've used are Newtones so it's possible they vary a bit.
    I would guess we do hear things  differently.  Also, different guitars and different strings and players will all have their part to play in the different tones we  hear. . But to me , hex  core are wound tighter , making the string stiffer . The  round wound on acoustic  guitars are have a fuller more resonant sound . Hex core sound  better on electric , and most nickel wound strings have hex cores . The  exception is heavy gauge stings used on lap steel.   Lap steel  players like the more traditional tone you get with round  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 55379
    edited March 30
    more said:

    I would guess we do hear things  differently.  Also, different guitars and different strings and players will all have their part to play in the different tones we  hear. . But to me , hex  core are wound tighter , making the string stiffer . The  round wound on acoustic  guitars are have a fuller more resonant sound . Hex core sound  better on electric , and most nickel wound strings have hex cores .
    I agree about the fuller and more resonant - but to me that makes them smoother and cleaner, not brighter. The slight roughness in the hex cores sounds like a bit of extra harmonic brightness to me. The Newtone round cores I have on my guitar now are definitely not as bright as the D'Addario hex cores I had on before, but they feel looser and do have more bottom end.

    These are as far as I can remember the only round core phosphor bronze acoustic strings I've used, and to me they do sound and feel noticeably different to all the other types I've tried, which is most or all of the major brands (working in music shops for years) - which I don't hear vast differences between, although I do generally find the D'Adds the most punchy.

    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

    "Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 130
    tFB Trader
    Can only really speak from a D'Addario point of view but what ICBM has said is spot on.

    80/20 is definitely the brightest string we make for acoustic (and pretty much the brightest alloy overall). However as the OP asked for bright in the low end and punchy mids, Phosphor Bronze is probably about the best choice. That or you could also try Nickel Bronze which is an interesting alternative and has even less of a scoop in the middle.


    Fretted Specialist for D'Addario UK
    Please feel free to reach out to me with queries about D'Addario.
    ____________________
    www.adamironside.com
    www.youtube.com/Adji87
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.