Now NGD: Vintera Road Worn 60’s strat LPB

What's Hot
noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
edited April 2021 in Guitar
I do very much like the look of it (though I can take or leave the relicing) - the 7.25” radius seems a bit odd though, I thought 60’s style guitars were flatter. 

As nice as a nitro top coat is, I wish they did this colour in the ‘standard’ vintera range. Anyone played/got one?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11814
    edited April 2021
    tbh, I think the Roadworn line is good value, IMO the best bang for buck in the Fender line.  They were £899 back in 2008 so compared to almost all other lines of guitar, it is one with the least increase.

The 7.25 radius is vintage correct, I don't think 9.5 appeared until the 80's. So Clapton, Hendrix etc all played with a 7.25" radius board.

I don't have a new new Roadworm, I do have a 2008 one with Rosewood board.  They are great guitars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4127
    I think that colour looks gorgeous, but the overall look jars for me. I think it's the combination of relicing and the PF board that's doing it. If you're going to relic it, why not dye the board too? It already isn't what it is, so why not go all the way if you catch my drift. I don't think it would bother me as much if it was an unreliced finish.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Lewy said:
    I think that colour looks gorgeous, but the overall look jars for me. I think it's the combination of relicing and the PF board that's doing it. If you're going to relic it, why not dye the board too? It already isn't what it is, so why not go all the way if you catch my drift. I don't think it would bother me as much if it was an unreliced finish.
    I suppose a good first application of lemon oil would darken it a bit. Bound to be dry from new. 

@RaymondLin , what are the pickups like on yours? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SRD81SRD81 Frets: 310
    I have a 2009 road worn 60s Strat in 3tsb and it’s an excellent guitar. It’s lightweight, nice dark rosewood board, the pickups are very well balanced and musical (no idea what they actually are) and the relic work is actually really nicely done over the nitro finish. Mine has even developed genuine finish checking over the years, which has nicely added to the patina.

My only complaint is that I ‘lent’ the guitar to my father in law when I got my CS Strat back in 2011 and have never got my Road Worn back!

Not much experience with more recent versions, but I do strongly suspect that the quality has been deliberately dropped back. The early versions were seen as excellent value for money and maybe good enough that they were starting to cannibalise Fender’s CS business.

As with any model of guitar though there will be good ones and bad ones. I played the 4 or 5 in shop when buying mine back in 2009 and not all were created equal as you might expect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was admiring this one just the other day. 7.25 is correct for a 60's Fender. Some were flatter do to the nature of the build process back then and others have become flatter after mods/refrets etc.
    Lewy said:
    I suppose a good first application of lemon oil would darken it a bit. Bound to be dry from new. 

Mine came with Custom Shop 69 installed by the previous owner so it's not a good judge for the retail one, I don't have the original to compare either unfortunately. 
    If you want to darken it, just darken it.  When i got it

after cleaning and oils.

• PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Just a note on the radius - not sure if Fender is still using 6105s on these (well, their version of 6105 anyway, which is a wee bit shorter) but if so it nicely offsets the 7.25 radius. I have a road worn tele from 2015 and it doesn't choke out one bit, although I did have it fettled a bit by the guys at Feline - the taller wire allowed them to introduce enough fallaway and compound radiusing at the dusty end to make it super playable. Sure, you probably can't get away with super low action but mine is under the 2mm (low E) 1.6mm (high E) mark comfortably. Wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited April 2021
    Lewy said:

I've got an older (don't know what year exactly) 60s 3tsb strat which has texmex pickups. Some people don't like them, but I think they sound great in it.
  • If you want to darken it, just darken it.  When i got it

after cleaning and oils.

Yup. Don't know why people get hug up on this - it's pretty easy to get a board a bit darker. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9501
    If that’s Pau Ferro I would have been happy with it as it was. It’s only the very pale ones that would annoy me.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    How did you darken the pau ferro? 
    Mine? it's a RW board, not PF.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Ah, my bad. How did you do it? 
    Loobs said:
    Ah, my bad. How did you do it? 
    Just used some Dunlop 65 oils on it.  Nothing special.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    Seen that on the Peach website a few times while browsing. Lovely looking guitar!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    personally I’m not a fan of the roadworn fender ranges, they don’t look like an aged/vintage guitar and are just there for some sort of novelty “pose” value.

As for the vintage features, they seem to take everything that’s bad about vintage spec and market it as the must have thing (7.25 radius and 56mm E - E on the bridge)

Tbh you are better of going for the standard rather than the road worn... it’s a couple of hundred quid cheaper for essentially the same guitar and it doesn’t look like Ray Charles has had a crack at ageing it...

or alternatively just get a second hand USA standard, which tbh will be a better playing guitar all round and cheaper!...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Kent747Kent747 Frets: 245
    poopot said:
    personally I’m not a fan of the roadworn fender ranges, they don’t look like an aged/vintage guitar and are just there for some sort of novelty “pose” value.

As for the vintage features, they seem to take everything that’s bad about vintage spec and market it as the must have thing (7.25 radius and 56mm E - E on the bridge)

Tbh you are better of going for the standard rather than the road worn... it’s a couple of hundred quid cheaper for essentially the same guitar and it doesn’t look like Ray Charles has had a crack at ageing it...

or alternatively just get a second hand USA standard, which tbh will be a better playing guitar all round and cheaper!...
    Username checks out 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Kent747 said:
    poopot said:

Username checks out 
    Whereas yours has the wrong vowel in it ;)
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3897
    I had one of the Vintera Road Worn 50s Teles in LPB, it was a nice guitar. The relic finish is more subtle that the older versions, particularly on the Teles. I really liked it and only sold it because something else caught my eye. I think they’re a pretty decent spec for less that a grand.