Now NGD: Vintera Road Worn 60’s strat LPB

What's Hot

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    poopot said:
    personally I’m not a fan of the roadworn fender ranges, they don’t look like an aged/vintage guitar and are just there for some sort of novelty “pose” value.

As for the vintage features, they seem to take everything that’s bad about vintage spec and market it as the must have thing (7.25 radius and 56mm E - E on the bridge)

Tbh you are better of going for the standard rather than the road worn... it’s a couple of hundred quid cheaper for essentially the same guitar and it doesn’t look like Ray Charles has had a crack at ageing it...

or alternatively just get a second hand USA standard, which tbh will be a better playing guitar all round and cheaper!...
    The radius puts me off as well but in fairness they do the Vintera Modified which has more modern appointments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    poopot said:
    personally I’m not a fan of the roadworn fender ranges, they don’t look like an aged/vintage guitar and are just there for some sort of novelty “pose” value.

As for the vintage features, they seem to take everything that’s bad about vintage spec and market it as the must have thing (7.25 radius and 56mm E - E on the bridge)

Tbh you are better of going for the standard rather than the road worn... it’s a couple of hundred quid cheaper for essentially the same guitar and it doesn’t look like Ray Charles has had a crack at ageing it...

or alternatively just get a second hand USA standard, which tbh will be a better playing guitar all round and cheaper!...
    Well, the earlier Road Worn guitars didn't look so convincing but these look a lot better in my opinion. 

And why is 7.25" radius a bad thing? Many people prefer it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12345
    Loobs said:
    poopot said:

Well, the earlier Road Worn guitars didn't look so convincing but these look a lot better in my opinion. 

And why is 7.25" radius a bad thing? Many people prefer it. 
    It’s a major selling point for me. Just wish they would quit with v necks!
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    That also doesn't offend me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    poopot said:

To each their own of course, but my 2015 road worn Tele was just the best sounding (and playing, for my taste at least) of the relatively affordable teles I tried around that time.

Baja Tele felt a lot more plasticy and the neck was too big
    US standard: felt a bit characterless, not a big fan of the slim C neck
    52 ri: very nice, obviously, but much dearer.

I wasn't ready to like the roadworn but it felt like a much more lively, resonant guitar, with the perfect neck profile.

Do I wish it had a 9.5 radius? Sure, but the taller frets offset that nicely and it feels great to play.

So I'm not sure it's necessarily down to the relic thing. Also, it cost me £650 used and again, at that price point it was nicer than the alternatives.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @PonchoGreg I thought the best thing about the Baja was the neck. Lovely.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    I had one of the Vintera Road Worn 50s Teles in LPB, it was a nice guitar. The relic finish is more subtle that the older versions, particularly on the Teles. I really liked it and only sold it because something else caught my eye. I think they’re a pretty decent spec for less that a grand.
    Which I bought I think and it really is a fantastic Tele.

@poopot, I used to think exactly what you think, particularly about the rather amateur/half-hearted go at relic’ing which always seemed a bit naff to me.  However, this particular guitar looks and feels very like a vintage tele (much more so than any CS).  

I tried an older Roadworn at someone’s house once when I was looking to buy an amp and that was also a lovely guitar.  It’s going to vary guitar to guitar obviously but I’m definitely a fan of this Vintera Roadworn.
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    If you want to darken it, just darken it.  When i got it

after cleaning and oils.

Yup. Don't know why people get hug up on this - it's pretty easy to get a board a bit darker. 
    I have put lemon oil on some RW boards in the past. They look lovely and dark for a few hours. But mine went back to o looking exactly the same as before after a few days.

So I’m not sure I agree (in my limited experience) that it is easy to darken a RW board.
    @thebreeze more than any CS? You can't have played them all.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    ennspek said:
    @thebreeze more than any CS? You can't have played them all.
     :)  Fair enough.  I've played a lot though.  I love them too, they're nearly always great guitars.  There's something I find a bit "blingy" about them though, even the heavy relics.  I've played the odd vintage Tele and the Roadworn I have just seems much closer somehow.  Apart from the vintage specs, I imagine that might be because back in the day the 50's and 60's Teles were production-line guitars themselves and didn't get "overly" worked and handled in comparison to perhaps the way a CS guitar is  nowadays?  It's just my thought, might be nonsense though. 
    @thebreeze fair comment!
  • Well, I took a punt on one, and very nice it is too. The worn neck feels gorgeous, is extremely light and sounds great. I’ve only played a couple of genuine vintage guitars, and not for a good while now so I’m no authority on how realistic the ageing is, but the nitro crazing (and in some places, wearing through completely) and all-over detail of the patina absolutely looks the business. 

It does need a damn good playing in (ironically) - frets still feel a bit gritty and the fretboard could do with another oiling, so once I’ve given it a good thrashing with its initial set of d’adds for a week or so I’ll have at the frets with the fine paper and wire wool at the same time as I pop the scratchplate off to install the obligatory (for me) treble bypass on the volume. 

Here are some pics - I’ll try to finally learn how to get them displaying directly rather than just link.

https://flic.kr/p/2kTpDry

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, I took a punt on one, and very nice it is too. The worn neck feels gorgeous, is extremely light and sounds great. I’ve only played a couple of genuine vintage guitars, and not for a good while now so I’m no authority on how realistic the ageing is, but the nitro crazing (and in some places, wearing through completely) and all-over detail of the patina absolutely looks the business. 

It does need a damn good playing in (ironically) - frets still feel a bit gritty and the fretboard could do with another oiling, so once I’ve given it a good thrashing with its initial set of d’adds for a week or so I’ll have at the frets with the fine paper and wire wool at the same time as I pop the scratchplate off to install the obligatory (for me) treble bypass on the volume. 
    What's the verdict a few months on, NP?
  • While you’re waiting can add me to the list of RW fans. I grabbed a 50s Tele in blond and just about past the honeymoon period.

The frets are tall narrow but not 6105s, they’re thinner. Bending isn’t a problem with the radius. True of any 7.25 for me, worst I can say is they might be a bit fussier as to what set up but this plays nicely as medium/low for me.

Mine did have a buzz on open G with my usual string winding habit, more wraps and solved. At some point I’ll swap the synthetic bone nut for actual.

The finish won’t convince anyone it’s an old guitar but it’s not a concern to me. No reason why you can’t finish that a bit more if got the skills, or play it and let it happen. Colour is nice though and tbh it just looks like a nice Tele.

The neck is really comfy. It’s chunky without being too big for me (think I have to tap out if get closer to an inch than 0.9) and the satin finish plays really nicely.

The sound of it is great. I had pickups earmarked as in need of a change early doors or felt I might have to convince myself I secretly loved purple or the Danish more than life itself but they’re actually pretty good. Better exist sure but small edges and I’ll only change if I end up recording something where it’s critical or I’ve really bonded to the guitar.

All in all, thumbs up from me. Is it as good as a relic custom shop, no. But comparing new price £1k to near £4k and it’s not staggeringly obvious, more subtle. I’ve sat and picked up my cs strat and then the rw Tele back to back and vice versa and not felt like I’m playing one guitar miles ahead of the other or any buyers remorse. The strat basically feels a little more worn in, good pair of slippers comfortable and does look more completely finished.

Compare to an AV though and it’s far more interesting. Put aside the case and candy and it basically comes down to a nicer fit and finish and electronics for the AV vs IMO a better neck on the RW. Very, very close. You could go AV and sand the neck, you could go RW and upgrade some bits when happy it’s worth the extra investment.

What's the verdict a few months on, NP?
    I’m playing it a lot - love the sound, feel and look of it.
    I did have a problem with the nut - not only were the strings shunted too far over to the treble side for my liking (and that appears to be standard for the range), but the G was cut too wide and too shallow, so it kept on rattling and occasionally even jumping out of position with bends near the nut. 
    I had the choice of sending it back to be fixed, or just getting it sorted locally by someone whose work I’ve trusted for years. 
    I decided to get a bone nut fitted and full setup locally and absorb the cost, because I really liked the other attributes of the guitar. When I first got the guitar they also price matched it with a dealer who was more than £100 cheaper than anywhere else, so I figured swings and roundabouts. 
    For anyone considering buying one from this range - if you can’t try it in person to check the nut I would at least contact the dealer and ask them to specifically check it’s cut properly before it’s sent out, and if they won’t do that then shop somewhere else!
    The shunted-over nut slot spacing might be an issue for you if indeed it is a standard thing, so I’d really advise trying in person or factoring in a replacement nut. 
    As I said earlier though - I absolutely love the guitar now, and I’ve been playing it more than all my others apart from the Les Paul special I also got earlier in the year.

• Well all of that sounds bloomin' promising @noisepolluter and @HandwrittenHero, thanks. The setup and nut issues wouldn't worry me at all, I'm more interested in the fit, finish, feel and natural tone really out of the box - everything else is largely fixable in general.

I've got Mansons down the road from me, but they don't seem to have any of the RW versions in stock. I've got a Fender-type gap in my rig atm that my (heavily-modded) Bullet Mustang isn't quite filling - I'm currently leaning towards a 60s Strat, but it's been a while since I've tried out a tele of any sorts again and I love the idea of them even if historically I've not ever really gelled with one!

• Well all of that sounds bloomin' promising @noisepolluter and @HandwrittenHero, thanks. The setup and nut issues wouldn't worry me at all, I'm more interested in the fit, finish, feel and natural tone really out of the box - everything else is largely fixable 
    Ok @guitargeek62 - addressing your points of interest specifically:

It’s lightweight and extremely lively and resonant acoustically, even with the stock saddles and sustain block etc. I’d be interested in fitting Callaham ones to see how much this brings out the natural zing.  

The pickups sound great - I have Oil Cities in another Strat and while those are a bit fatter sounding, the Vintera ones have a bit more wiriness and cut to them - they certainly hold their own and I have no plans to change them. They benefit from a treble bypass widget on the volume control to maximise clarity as you clean up.

The neck and body feel sublime. Not glossy at all, but lovely and tactile. I did gently smooth out the ‘worn’ portion of the neck with 8000 grit as it was a bit rough in a couple of spots - I think one magazine review also alluded to this. 

I’ve gotten used to the 7.25” radius - it’s fabulous for rhythm playing. Action I’d say is the lower half of medium if that makes sense - that’s as low as it’ll go and still allow digging in on bends. 

My other strat types (Schecter traditional, Charvel San Dimas) have much flatter compound radii which obviously allow far lower action so it was a bit weird initially with the 7.25” but fine now, so long as I don’t hop directly from one to the other as then they both feel weird! 

My CP60 tele is 9.5 though, and I can get the same action on the Vintera without bends choking. 
  • HandwrittenHeroHandwrittenHero Frets: 851
    edited August 2021
    Tele perspective but same on resonance, first thing I do trying a guitar is cowboy chords unplugged and listen for liveliness. Same on feel, I’ve not found any rough spots but think a little more time to finish then play for hand oils will take it closer to my CS strat. It’s a nicer matte/satin type feel that a 2017 Les Paul Tribute I’d had which went a bit sticky as you played, not had that issue here.

Action also the same, it can go lower I’d expect based on other 7.25s I’ve had but medium low is a good spot for bends to feel nice digging in but fretting not to feel hard work.

If you’re near to Andertons they’ve got some FSR RW 60s Strats in and the purple Tele. Both have different pickups in to the stock (theoretically upgrades but less of a thing than I thought) but either way would let you play some and see if one speaks to you.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 797
    edited August 2021
    @HandwrittenHero you’ve got me wanting a Vintera RW tele now, yer blighter. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers guys, that's incredibly promising then - I guess I'll be speaking to my missus for approval.

The 7.25" rad doesn't phase me at all either - I rocked a '62 CIJ reissue for years with no trouble, and that only had low vintage frets too, I also love the vintage rad and bigger frets combo on the Silver Sky, so I'm sure I'll manage with one of these! :mrgreen: