Which wireless system should I buy

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
I got a Waza heaphone amp recently, which includes a Boss WL20 transmitter

I'm tempted to get a WL-20L set: my thinking is that I would then have the cable simulator transmitter and the zero-loss one suitable for acoustics

are there any other good low-latency wireless systems

this is for use in a home studio full of electronics, with loads gadgets like keyboards, mice, wireless LANs, etc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I brought the Boss WL20 when they were first release probably 2 years or so ago now and it's been great. I've not used a cable since and it's never let me down.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    also - where does 3 year warranties for these?
  • Another WL20 user here...... very satisfied with it.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited April 2021
    The Boss units are well made & have great battery life (10-12hrs), but the WL50 has longer range. However, having watched and listened to video tests, my concern is that the tone is more muffled than my Line 6 G10.  The G10 was great and I would previously have recommended, but you should avoid these now 're well publicised problems.  Fire risks on battery charging meant v1.06 firmware 'fixed' the safety risk but by reducing battery charge time. Although these should still last 5.5-6hrs there are many reports of only 2.5-3hrs  - which I can verify, having just had a brand new replacement from Line 6 (they will send me a replacement tested unit though).  Tone difference is perhaps not noticeable though until you compare side by side, but I really like the G10's tonal clarity. The replacement G10T II (7hrs life) isn't yet available, but still far short of the 10-12 hrs of the boss units. 

Depends on your needs of course, but the Ammoon 5.8GHz and Lekato Ws50 5.8GHz (which are very similar) both come out with great reviews, very good tonal quality, under 6ms latency, and are inexpensive at around £40-50 for the Lekato & £50-60 for the Ammoon. Both are reported to last around 5hrs between charges but at that price you can buy two! Very compact too. You could also buy one 5.8GHz and one 2.4GHz for different conditions. The Lekato 2.4GHz WS80 gives up to 8 rs with under 5ms latency, and scores very highly in reviews and again around £40.  Lithium batteries so should be no battery memory issues but even if battery life drops after a few years, these are cheap to replace. 

The WL20 set, Lekato & Ammoon have the advantage of being compact with matching receiver/transmitter units, whereas the Boss WL50 & Line 6 G10/G10S need a mains powered base unit which is less convenient. 

If you gig as well as being in the studio, the Line 6 Relay G50 is a very good reliable and highly effective conventional battery powered unit with terrific range and good channel options and control. The G30 is quite good too, cheaper, shorter range but personally I'd avoid it due to a weak battery compartment cover problem ( it breaks) that's never been addressed by Line 6.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Another WL20 user here...... very satisfied with it.
    And another one here. Compact, robust, simple. Have noticed zero sound degradation. Batteries easily last a gig's worth of playing. 
  • gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    I have 3 of the boss systems. The dongle one, the pedal sized one and the belt pack one. All great. 
    I also have an Amazon special ammoon dongle one that does a fine job. 
  • I use the Line 6 G50 Relay. Its very good and rugged, toured with it for years. Not had a drop out before (well, only when it connected to the bassist's receiver once when we both turned on at the same time) and the range is great (200ft I think).
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Another Boss vote. Got mine to replace a G10 which had to be repaired three times.

A painful experience...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • I’ve got the WL20-L and it’s great. I went for that model because at the time I had guitars with EMGs, but it works fine with my passive guitars too. The latency is undetectable; I even use it when I’m recording
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Smooth Hound gets good reviews. I had one but got a lot of background noise. Might just be me though.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    Sennheiser WMS mini - latency not an issue (it’s all analog), no noise or interference issues in my electronics/computer infested home or out on gigs, sound quality (to my ears) indistinguishable from 20’ of decent quality cable, and one standard, easy to replace AA battery lasts for weeks in the transmitter.

Cheap, simple, works!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    I ordered a WL-20L set, found it for a good price ex-demo from Sound Affects
  • smigeon said:
    Another WL20 user here...... very satisfied with it.
    And another one here. Compact, robust, simple. Have noticed zero sound degradation. Batteries easily last a gig's worth of playing. 

100% agree.....haven't been set on fire with it either.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    edited April 2021
    I had a Line 6 G10 followed by a Smooth hound and both failed at gigs - i now use a Boss WL-60. It ha been good so the last 18 months and i use it at home as well.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    G30 for gigging -- for me it has significant advantages over the others: uses regular AA batteries; uses regular instrument cable. Had no issues with range -- ever.  And the dumb arse battery door problem is 100% solved by wrapping a few rubber bands around it.

Boss WL-50 looks really good for home use.  I'm fine with cables at home right till the point I tread on them and feel that yank which I really don't like.  So I've been thinking about the WL-50.  The "bug" transmitter looks easier for home than my G30.

• I use the G70, powered by my board PS. 

Uses traditional batteries, which I always have spares for, and lasts 7-8 hours consistently. 

Super range and no issues. Also if anything catastrophic were  to happen, you can plug a guitar in direct to the receiver. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Several users here recommended this one:-

GUITAR WIRELESS SYSTEM LEKATO

LEKATO WS-50 5.8 Ghz Guitar Bass Wireless System Transmitter Receiver 4 Channels

was £39.39

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEKATO-Transmitter-Transmission-Frequency-Rechargeable/dp/B07TWQL2JS

• Can I ask why no one mentions the Xvive systems?  I’m debating a wireless system myself but to be honest I’m confused with the choices
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Can I ask why no one mentions the Xvive systems?  I’m debating a wireless system myself but to be honest I’m confused with the choices
    Not good value. 2.5 x the price of the Lekato, and only 2.4Ghz v 5.8GHz with Lekato, same 5hrs battery life and same 4 channels. Simples.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Thanks Voxman - that makes sense