Give me a good song to learn

What's Hot
I want something I can learn in a few weeks that's reliably tabbed somewhere. Ideally, it will have:

- interesting rhythm, ideally some neat chords. Complexity is not necessary, but interesting nonetheless

- a good lead part in it - not too shreddy, but something that goes beyond a simple pentatonic melody would be good. Don't mind a bit of economy picking, alternate picking or legato lines. 

- no reliance on effects - keep your reverse delays out of this!

Any thoughts? I have been practicing Mr Crowley which is excellent, but the sheer speed of the solo, especially those alt picked triplet pentatonics, is a bit far for me. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    What styles of music are you interested in? For example there’s “Take Your Mama Out” by the Scissor Sisters which has an in interesting strumming pattern, a pentatonic scale over the chorus, and a full solo on the live performances. However if that’s not your preferred style then it’s not going to appeal.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Bb King   The thrill is gone
  • Roland said:
    What styles of music are you interested in? For example there’s “Take Your Mama Out” by the Scissor Sisters which has an in interesting strumming pattern, a pentatonic scale over the chorus, and a full solo on the live performances. However if that’s not your preferred style then it’s not going to appeal.

I've intentionally not said as I wanted a diverse mix of ideas. Take your mama out is a good shout!

phil_b said:
    Bb King   The thrill is gone

Also very different to my own usual style - I'll give it a listen and see if I can transcribe by ear. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    Huey Lewis and the News - Power of Love, the Back to the Future theme song. Picking pattern in the verse, power chord in the chorus. The solo features three different playing styles, and is well covered on YouTube.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    I'm the one  - Van Halen. 

It's got an infectious boogie riff and the fills and solo sounds complicated but in typical EVH it's actually incredibly simple when broken down 

Slow Dancing in a burning room - John Mayer

Fantastic riff, interesting chord voicing and epic solo  - use the live version from Where the light is. 

Hysteria - Muse

Great riff and really well constructed pedal tone solo 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    edited April 2021
    Josie or kid Charlemagne 
  • Three Days, Janes Addition. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    Love and Affection - Joan Armatrading. Some lovely chords but no solo. Maybe you could work out the sax part.
    Played on acoustic of course.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    Green Earrings - Steely Dan. I don't think it's one of their strongest songs as a composition but from a guitarist's point of view i think it's good for working on a few different aspects of your playing - some nice funky rhythms, interesting harmonies, a couple of excellent solos in somewhat different styles and some great fills.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Always with me, always with you - satriani
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I've been learning a song called Kill the King by Rainbow. It's got a lot in it and I remember listening to it a s teenager in awe. It's got a bit of everything
    Riffage, Arpeggio's, tremelo picking, fills and chord substitutions. I've learned a lot by trying it. The solo is beyond me speed wise but it's a great work out.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Elegant Gypsy by Al di Meola. It’s not exactly suited to a single guitarist but there are some fantastic licks and riffs and things in there. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    "Open Letter to the Heart of Diaphora" by Polytown.

• richman6100richman6100 Frets: 331
    How about Hideaway by Freddie King? Great blues licks and rhythm. Sounds simpler to play than it is in my experience. Learning it improved my playing no end.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    Going through my file on songs, I recommend these beauties.

Cream - Badge (Some nice lead work and lead fills, plus that riff in the middle)

China Crisis - King in a Catholic Style (Great Solo in there)

Eagles - New Kid in Town (Great Chords in there and tasty lead parts), play the keys parts as Guitar parts.

Hollies - He Ain't Heavy 

Led Zep - What is and what should never be.

O.C.S - 100 Mile High City 

Police - Synchronicity 2 (Very interesting parts)

Randy Newman - I Love L.A (I didn't bother with the slow intro, but the rest is a great song to learn on Guitar, do the keys solo too)

S.A.H.B - Framed (Top Blues Tune and Solo)

Skunk Anansie - Every Day Hurts

Steely Dan - Rikki

Turin Brakes - Painkiller (Good upbeat strummer)

That should keep you busy for a while :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Cotton Fields, Creedence Clearwater Revisited.  Simple song with interesting guitar parts.  It is not as easy as it sounds to get it sounding 100% right.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    edited April 2021
    Crying in the rain - whitesnake, John sykes era
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited April 2021
    Thanks all! I'll take a listen tonight and tomorrow let you know the winner.

Next month, I'll get a cheap ipad interface and post my recorded attempt at whatever I have chosen! 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    You mentioned Mr Crowley being a bit too fast - how about Crazy Train? Solo is less challenging and can easily be broken into sections to learn a step at a time. Also, Steve Vai's 'Die to Live' is nice. Just one guitar, some nice chords with a melody part interweaving. I have tabs for both if you want them. 
  • You mentioned Mr Crowley being a bit too fast - how about Crazy Train? Solo is less challenging and can easily be broken into sections to learn a step at a time. Also, Steve Vai's 'Die to Live' is nice. Just one guitar, some nice chords with a melody part interweaving. I have tabs for both if you want them. 

@vibetronic very interested in both! I used to play crazy train, so it would be good to refresh. Die to live sounds great!